ID:954172

As I've mentioned in previous posts, we've been using NEStalgia as our beta testing platform for some new BYOND features. We've worked with Silk Games to create the standalone installer and have done some tests with their team for web/Flash support. Our goal is to give BYOND games some more exposure by allowing them to be distributed outside of our dinky little website and on larger gaming portals.

As it so happens, one of the biggest (if not the biggest) gaming portal-- Steam --has just now decided to encourage this effort by "greenlighting" indie games. And NEStalgia (with its shiny new standalone installer) is one of just a handful of early candidates. If NEStalgia makes it onto Steam, it'll open the doors for other BYOND games and give some credibility to the system, as well as afford more opportunities for all you developers out there. This is pretty exciting stuff!

If you enjoy NEStalgia or just want to support a fellow BYOND developer, you can vote for it at its page on Steam. Silk has more details about the effort at PutNEStalgiaOnSteam.com and is running a promotional event on NEStalgia. He also did an interview with IndieGameMag.com talking about the game and the Greenlight process.

I believe that Silk will be merely the first of many users to embark on this adventure. In just the last few months, I've interacted with PrideRavanok (Rise of the Pirates), WritingANewOne (Eternia), and Kumorii (Feed) regarding their promising games and distribution outside of BYOND. Hopefully NEStalgia can pave the path for these and future efforts.

Check it out!

P.S. BYOND feature-creep news very soon.
How about Teridal, by Aaiko?
or Regressia, by IainPeregrine?
I think those would be great candidates too. It's ultimately up to the developers to do the legwork, but we'll do whatever we can to help them out (including technical developments on the software to make these games work well on their own).
Wow nestalgia on steam? O: that will bring it's players up like 50%
Good news! I will certainly support NEStalgia!
This just made my day.
I don't get what all the fuzz regarding NEStalgia is about. Sometimes it gets a player boost but Falacy's Heroes United still has more players, yet he doesn't get the slightest bit of attention, besides bans of course.
NEStalgia only has the " boost " into being popular over BYOND because it's listed. I bet if otherwise it would've been Hu1 instead -_-
In response to Darker Legends
Darker Legends wrote:
I don't get what all the fuzz regarding NEStalgia is about. Sometimes it gets a player boost but Falacy's Heroes United still has more players, yet he doesn't get the slightest bit of attention, besides bans of course.

It's a fan game based on a series that BYOND received a C&D for--it can't be given any official attention. I doubt it would be a candidate for Steam Greenlight, either, because of the same issue. I'm not sure why you're bringing it up.

Anyways, back on topic, I was looking through the Greenlight games and it seems like NEStalgia has some good competition (although, I didn't check what development state the games were in, I'm guessing a lot are unreleased?). Hopefully it gets the votes it needs for someone at Valve to give it a try!
This is great to hear! I can see this being one of the first steps to getting BYOND a much needed retake on it's unfortunate and not entirely accurate reputation from the indie community. This should prove to be very exciting! (:
Yeah, fangames of any sort won't even be eligible for greenlighting due to copyright concerns. Even one of the conditions is that you must not use copyrighted material without permission.
After this series comments here. I refuse to give NEStalgia any kind of support.
I really think Iain should get Regressia working with the standalone and installer so he can put it on Greenlight. If games like Cthulu Saves The World are on steam, there's no reason why Regressia can't be. He can take his share of "all retro games are minecraft + realm of the mad god" comments as well. Sharing is caring.
Thanks for the support everyone! I really hope that NEStalgia becomes the first of many BYOND projects to make it on Steam. There are many talented and deserving developers here, and BYOND has a ton of untapped potential.

Everyone here is always talking about how they want BYOND to get the recognition that it deserves, and I think that we're well on our way to making that happen!
Congrats on how far Nestalgia has come Silk! Its a fun game and deserves all of the attention it has been getting. I have to say, after being here for some years I'm glad to see not only a game, but BYOND as a whole make so much progress! I hope everyone can keep up the good work!
In response to ExPixel
ExPixel wrote:
After this series comments here. I refuse to give NEStalgia any kind of support.

+1
This is actually pretty impressive of NEStalgia. I dislike Silk Games but congrats this is truly an achievement that deserves to be recognized.
Congratulations!
Silk is officially on a boat.
This would probably be more significant than the flash support if Silk got his game on Steam. A standalone installer hosted on Steam will get a lot more attention than a game on a flash site (not to say flash wouldn't have great advantages. You guys have been working on it for some time and it'll be a huge asset for the BYOND games that are good indie games but can't get on Steam). Good luck, Silk!
Page: 1 2 3 4