I hope he makes it in large part just to motivate the developers here to try to look beyond BYOND for advertisement. I've said it a hundred times, but there's no reason why the games here can't be enjoyed by the mainstream. Even the games made circa 2000 are a heck of a lot of fun in a casual multiplayer setting (which is IMO still largely untapped). So I hope those of you who haven't voted at least take a look to support not just Silk, but BYOND as a whole.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
I hope he makes it in large part just to motivate the developers here to try to look beyond BYOND for advertisement. I've said it a hundred times, but there's no reason why the games here can't be enjoyed by the mainstream. Even the games made circa 2000 are a heck of a lot of fun in a casual multiplayer setting (which is IMO still largely untapped). So I hope those of you who haven't voted at least take a look to support not just Silk, but BYOND as a whole.

Maybe it'd support BYOND - if BYOND's name was actually associated with NEStalgia. you know, mentioned on the NEStalgia website, or in any NEStalgia promotional material.
BYOND games seems to gather a fair amount of players at the start it dies down pretty quickly and you end up with just the regulars and of course the trolls.

But that's the down side to many games non BYOND, I hope this brings more developers and players to BYOND (hopefully they purchase memberships).
Best of luck. I'll try to contribute in the future but I'm eating ramans.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Even the games made circa 2000 are a heck of a lot of fun in a casual multiplayer setting (which is IMO still largely untapped).

You're completely right, and I think that's a good point. There's a reason the Wii sold so well, for example. Most people aren't hard-core gamers, but everybody loves a good casual multi-player game with friends. Even just one or two friends. Minecraft is another good example.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Maybe it'd support BYOND - if BYOND's name was actually associated with NEStalgia. you know, mentioned on the NEStalgia website, or in any NEStalgia promotional material.

I can understand the reluctance to openly advertise that an indie game was made with an engine, not even factoring in the reputation BYOND has due to the rather niche audience here. And I have no problem with it. One reason is that we currently make money from NEStalgia subscriptions (although we may change that in the future as I'm not a big fan of commissions in the first place). But more importantly, if a BYOND game made it big, we could mention that on our landing pages, lending credibility to the software. We'd get a lot more developers trying it out, because they'd know that a successful game could be produced with these tools.

In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
Most people aren't hard-core gamers, but everybody loves a good casual multi-player game with friends. Even just one or two friends. Minecraft is another good example.

Yeah, for a while I was trying to push BYOND into the modern "euro" board-game arena, because those are the kinds of games that aren't held back by BYOND's limitations and play great with a small group of people (but not less than that). And entire industry is based around the tabletop versions of these games so I knew it'd be lucrative online too. Unfortunately none of the contacts I made were interested in working with a small-time operation like us. Now I see others have jumped on this idea as online gaming has become increasingly more mainstream. But it's not too late for the developers here to take advantage of this fact.

Well said on the fan game part I won't comment on the personal attacks you have going.

Each to their own when it comes to developing and playing games I guess you have to keep that in mind.
And here's why you shouldn't support this game for Greenlight. The developer is a thief who bans people with paid lifetime subscriptions for his game for being critical of him and his game on private forums. He got himself probated from these forums and got his own fan thread gassed by lashing out at everyone in the topic in a tantrum. Source: http://forums.somethingawful.com/ showthread.php?threadid=3395243&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumb er=23#post404679895

He has also been relentlessly deleting comments critical of his game on Greenlight, whether they draw attention to the above link or not. Sources: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/ showthread.php?t=2914916 http://forums.somethingawful.com/ showthread.php?threadid=3504314

Do not give this man your money, and do not support his game in any capacity so long as he feels the need to conduct himself in this manner. Unban the people you robbed, you child.

I hope the BYOND admins will investigate into your behavior instead of deleting this comment, someone needs to take you to task for what you've said and done to paying players.

Silk Games wrote:
My only mistake in the Something Awful situation a couple months ago was in feeding the trolls. Both users were banned for repeated rule violations, and both were given plenty of warning. They were both so bad (and so infamous) that the rest of the NEStalgia community was happy to see them go. The girl in that thread who was banned actually sent me an apology a week later.

It must be nice living in your fantasy world where everything you do is right and reality is whatever you says it is. Let's talk to Silk Wizard of 3 months ago and ask him why he banned that player.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/ showthread.php?threadid=3395243&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumb er=23#post404702407
The root of your problems in NEStalgia is the way that you treat other people. I wasn't bothered by you saying that you didn't like the game; I was bothered by being rudely told to "GET OUT" of a public forum thread by someone who has been treated as a guest in my game and on my forums for a long time. Especially after the aforementioned moderation issue from a few months back. You really haven't done yourself any favors today.

And then
Player: Whatever it is, it's still a big derail from game discussion. Leave it alone.

Silk Wizard: You know what? Take a few weeks off and think about whether or not you want to play NEStalgia anymore.

They told you to act responsibly on a private forum whose rules you were blatantly violating and you decided to bully them and steal their money because you had to show you had all the power in the situation.

It must make you so mad that no matter how much you try and spin your actions you can't go back and delete the posts that prove you wrong. You fully admit that you banned her for telling you to "GET OUT" of their private forum, which you were flaming posters in.

Your non-existent authority on a forum was challenged and in order to assert yourself, you went on a banning spree. You're an insecure child and anyone who looks at that topic will see nothing but post after post of your flaming and trolling that got you temporarily banned from their private forum.

Mikau wrote:
You haven't given him any reason to actually talk to you on a responsible professional level.

If you read the thread I linked you would see everyone in that topic trying to talk to him on a 'responsible professional level' and him blindly lashing out at everyone. He made the mistakes, he lied about what they were, he raged at anyone who tried to calmly talk him down, he refuses to acknowledge he did anything wrong and he dismisses anyone who brings it up as a 'troll'. He is the entire problem in this situation.
In response to GenKin
Don't judge the game for the actions of the developer.
I may not like Silk much(at all) but he is still a great developer and NEStalgia is a brilliant game; NEStalgia getting on Steam would be a huge step for BYOND as a whole by showing that BYOND /does/ have a chance at going mainstream and developers will have something new to pursue as opposed to just getting a listed game.

Put your petty individual distastes aside and look at the big picture.
In response to Kumorii
I don't feel like forgiving him for stealing the money of my friends and enabling his ego by letting his actions slide. If BYOND really wants people to look at the 'big picture' they will force him to stop deleting criticism and unban everyone he stole money from in his tantrum in this topic. http://forums.somethingawful.com/ showthread.php?threadid=3395243&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumb er=23#post404679895

If he isn't made to answer for this he will keep acting this way, banning whoever speaks negatively of him or his game and run BYOND's reputation into the ground.

If someone robbed you and a bunch of your friends would you support them for ANYTHING in the name of 'looking at the big picture'?
In response to GenKin
GenKin wrote:
I don't feel like forgiving him for stealing the money of my friends and enabling his ego by letting his actions slide. If BYOND really wants people to look at the 'big picture' they will force him to stop deleting criticism and unban everyone he stole money from in his tantrum in this topic. http://forums.somethingawful.com/ showthread.php?threadid=3395243&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumb er=23#post404679895

If he isn't made to answer for this he will keep acting this way, banning whoever speaks negatively of him or his game and run BYOND's reputation into the game.

If someone robbed you and a bunch of your friends would you support for ANYTHING in the name of 'looking at the big picture'?

I'm not surprised.
I agree with Kumorii. The game should be judged on its own merits. As far as I can tell, it is one of the few submissions that is essentially complete, as well as freely playable. Anyone intending to rate it up or down should at least give it a try first.

Having dealt with an online community for some time, I can tell you that It is easy for things to spiral out of control due to minor missteps and the fickle nature of the Internet mob. I'm not sure what Silk did or didn't do, but I can pretty much guarantee that the other parties are not wholly innocent either. Regardless, since NEStalgia is the result of a lot of work and can be played for free, there's really no reason for so much ire!

I hope this topic does not get derailed. Let the game speak for itself.

In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
I'm not sure what Silk did or didn't do,

You can literally read what Silk did or didn't do with a single mouseclick. http://forums.somethingawful.com/ showthread.php?threadid=3395243&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumb er=23#post404679895

NEStalgia is Silk. Everyone else is people he either drove away or banned in a tantrum. The whole story is there for you to read over in five minutes, and the only reason it's available at all is because he posted it on a site that wouldn't allow him to delete it and cover it up.

If you want the summary, he went to another forum and falsely accused someone of something that wasn't true and tried to dump a boatload of drama into the topic, people in the topic told him to leave the topic because that behavior wasn't allowed, so in turn he just banned people from his game in a little fit. He got angry because his authority was challenged on a forum where he had no authority, the behavior of someone who does not know how to conduct themselves professionally, responsibly or maturely. The next two pages are everyone shaming him for his behavior until he manages to get the topic locked.
I'd be inclined to say it's not BYOND's place really to mediate on this kind of matter. BYOND is the platform provider, basically, and this seems to be a game administration complaint, not a platform misuse complaint.

If this was "They are taking money for services, and then not providing services at all, to anyone", BYOND would have a prerogative to do something about it. Because that'd be called a scam, and that's obviously not cool.

What seems to have gone down though, is a few users (maybe more, care to quantify?) out of the game's playerbase were banned, out of a reasonably sized playerbase. Services sold by the game are on the whole, provided as per the generally understood terms of service NEStalgia have, and most transactions are amicable.
I am not going to get into a back and forth about some drama on an outside forum, and if this thread turns into that, I'll just lock it. The focus should be on the game and not the developer. If you think Silk is a horrible guy and that makes you not want to support this, then fine, but I want others to judge based on the merits of the game ( and in some tangential sense, of BYOND itself). Sadly, the mob mentality has a way of pushing the big picture out of the forefront because everyone loves the drama of seeing someone suffer.
Banning someone who paid isn't stealing. From what I heard, he banned the people that were trolling his game. Just because you buy subscriptions doesn't exempt you from a game's code of conduct.

As always, whenever NEStalgia is mentioned, a handful of retards come out the woodworks to unleash their attack. Do you guys ever give it a rest?
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
If you think Silk is a horrible guy and that makes you not want to support this, then fine, but I want others to judge based on the merits of the game ( and in some tangential sense, of BYOND itself). Sadly, the mob mentality has a way of pushing the big picture out of the forefront because everyone loves the drama of seeing someone suffer.

If he kicked kittens in his spare time your reasoning would be on mark, it wouldn't be right to condemn the game because of it's developer's behavior.

The problem is that he directly associated his behavior with the game by hunting down websites being critical of his game, antagonizing them and banning them from his game as a result. He MADE his actions the merits of his game, because now NEStalgia has a risk associated with playing it where you can be banned for speaking negatively about it with your friends.

EmpirezTeam wrote
Banning someone who paid isn't stealing. From what I heard, he banned the people that were trolling his game. Just because you buy subscriptions doesn't exempt you from a game's code of conduct.

But these people weren't doing any of this in game. They were posting on forums. He came into the forum, lashed out with blind accusations towards them and banned anyone who told him to tone it down. It would be akin to you being banned from Steam because Gabe Newell was screaming lies at people in World of Warcraft and you told him to stop. Again: http://forums.somethingawful.com/ showthread.php?threadid=3395243&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumb er=23#post404679895

How do you 'troll a game' by posting on a private forum completely unassociated with the game? No one was 'trolling', he accused someone who played the game of being someone who doesn't play the game and had a fit when people called him on it. That's not trolling.
This sounds a lot more dramatic than it really is, to be honest, and as per what I'd brought up before about BYOND as the platform provider, it's not really very sensible for us to get involved.
By being the platform provider you're allowing him to represent BYOND, in the same way that if a developer of a game on Steam went off the deep end and banned a bunch of Steam subscribers from his game for no reason, they would immediately reconsider future partnerships with him - or even their current game partnership.

By promoting NEStalgia so heavily with BYOND (it's on the pager when you first log in right now) you're even further allowing him to represent BYOND in the public eye. If he makes a pariah of himself due to mass-banning people in a tantrum, BYOND becomes seen as a platform with no standards for it's developers.

Please, please don't let this childish man represent you.
Page: 1 2 3 4