In response to The Monster Atlas
Lol You're a funny guy it seems. Yes this is about learning. Also No there is NO handicap. We are teaching people who WANT to learn there are not going to be people who just sit there and stare all day like a school. People do thing cause they want to learn if they don't want to learn then don't do anything right? Just like in school, one might have talent but one might not show it, that doesn't mean they can go to College. People who don't show that they want to learn Get nothing. You are trying to say that im trying to let people lose and taking out the newbs who probably have more talent. Sure they probably have more talent but if they aren't going to show that they want to learn they shouldn't be taught.

I don't get what you are saying that second part. I'm not judging this contest. Yes people have different opinions but that's why there are more then one judge. For me same thing goes with singing and the different types of music. You may like one thing but not the other. (is this what you are trying to say. I can't comprehend most stuff you say)That's why this is based to create Better or Newer Artists for Byond. Right now you are saying this is all for the Prize..which is not the main point o_o like i said before Is money all that matters to you in this??

[EDIT] Limiting Contestants because there are not enough coaches. I'd rather limit them then put too much on a Coach to handle. I mean they are busy with there stuff too. Take on account to how they will take it with 10 Students at the same time when they are also busy.

[EDIT] Also please stop your dumb arguments x.x They don't make much sense and you make yourself sound stupid half the time, and you're going off topic too.
But that's not what's happening. What you're doing is taking people, who want to learn more than what they currently know, and forcing them out of the classroom because they have a higher knowledge than the rest of the class.

Second Part: "that's why in this Contest you will be Provided a Pixel Artist Coach" You will only be getting one person's opinion for your work, which is bad.

How is talking about the contest off topic? I'm not making a dumb argument, I'm bringing up a valid point.
If you have a higher knowledge then the class you should be out of the class and going for something better then this. Its like saying if you know less then the class you should stay in the class. Why do you think there is a Special Ed class for people with Special Needs. Or Ell(it may be called somthing else for your school) for people who doesn't know english.
[EDIT] its same for Advance Classes and IB classes in school.

a Coach's opinion may be the worst or the best. But that's why i said awhile back for the Contestants to tell me who they'd prefer for their coaches. The Opinions given are what they want from the Coach they wanted which is not bad.
That's like saying pro boxers should spar with beginners. it's not realistic. Nor is it unheard of or unfair to match peoples level of skill.
You won't learn if you get hopelessly crushed by someone much better than you, statistically speaking most people would quit.

You could then argue that their "desire" wasn't strong enough, but not everyone learns that way.

There isn't anything wrong with his approach Atlas, and while you do have a valid point, it doesn't really hold so much weight in this situation.

Learning is about being comfortable, If people who already know how to do something compete, it's pointless. the contest isn't for EVERYONE, it's for people with next to no skill who want to learn. He said that from the beginning.
In response to Dariuc
Dariuc wrote:
That's like saying pro boxers should spar with beginners. it's not realistic. Nor is it unheard of or unfair to match peoples level of skill.
You won't learn if you get hopelessly crushed by someone much better than you, statistically speaking most people would quit.

You could then argue that their "desire" wasn't strong enough, but not everyone learns that way.

There isn't anything wrong with his approach Atlas, and while you do have a valid point, it doesn't really hold so much weight in this situation.

Learning is about being comfortable, If people who already know how to do something compete, it's pointless. the contest isn't for EVERYONE, it's for people with next to no skill who want to learn. He said that from the beginning.

Pro boxers do spar with beginners... for people of my skill level and higher to join the contest would be a bit unfair for people who've just begun.

Now if it was was a contest between well known skilled pixel artist like Zane, Kaz, Elk, myself and the diamond in the rough Skyiden(i just love that guys style) i would be more upset about not being able to join but all the guys joining are at beginner level so its not really that bad.

i guess i'll join the next pixel joint event.

also VivixV i wasn't calling you arrogant i was talking about the monster atlas.
I like the clouds.
Good work to all who entered, in my opinion you're all very good artists.
Well I guess the art community will continue to be a shit hole of uneducated artists again.

If you honestly want to get better with pixel art, go to www.wayofthepixel.net you are able to get critiques from people who know what they are talking about. It'll honestly save everyone time.
In response to The Monster Atlas
I do think you should appreciate that we are all taking part in a community event to try and improve our own skills, showcase what we can already do, let the rest of Byond know there's some people willing to learn and just generally trying to get a long.

People will improve from a tutor better than if they do not wish to learn any other way as well as having immediate answers, I understand there are far better ways to become professionals so thank you for supplying the links to such websites :)

But don't worry too much it's all a bit of fun isn't it :)? For me this post inspired me to draw something every single day, without a tutor i plan to self teach myself and occasionally get advice just so that i can know i'm putting in the effort to improve.
Oh, no, I appreciate that someone is moving towards competitions, but the prize for a pixel artist is a membership or a payment via paypal. Some of the greatest artists never made a single penny from their work until they died. I'm not saying some of you should kill yourselves, but pixel art should be the prize rather than "hey you beat everyone else, here's some money or a membership designed for coders."

On top of that, the competition is being limited so there's really no point to entering. You're not going up against the best. If you win a trophy because two of the best teams were sick that is not a victory at all. If you honestly quit pixel art because you lost a competition you should stop existing.

I'd like to show others my progress in improving my art skills. (Can see how much I improve, if I do, in a new thread I will be making, I felt that this would be interesting not only to myself but perhaps to others also.) Keep up the good work to all who are improving also.
Ah ok Atlas yes i think the reward should be just pixel improvement but i doubt so many people would have responded to the post if it wasn't for that, so it kind of got people talking more.

Well you're getting the hang of shading Astrilix :)

I've signed up to both pixeljoint and Wayofthepixel now, I plan to upload some of my work to wayofthepixel soon and get some advice, but for now i'm going to go threw some pixeljoint art study/recreate some of it and learn a bit.
Im pretty sure most artist start with a paper and pencil.....so why not start there.There's a few who just jump straight into pixeling not knowing a single thing about art.The basics are learned best when color isn't involved.

To get a diamond you must start with coal.

But what would I know Im just a mediocre artist at best....
To be honest i dont care about the money prize, i just entered cause i got interested and wanted to learn, imo its more about learning and improving rather than winning.
I was also planning to enter regardless of the prize. I have a membership, I'm also capable of buying my own if I want one. I just thought it would be fun.
But all this rage mode kinda deflates anything good that could have come from it in my opinion- and I'm starting to think that was the point of it all.
Damn? Lol Sorry for the Delay i'll have the results by today i hope. I wasn't able to get on Yesterday for Religious reasons. But im on today (hope the judges are on lols)
In response to VixiV
VixiV wrote:
Damn? Lol Sorry for the Delay i'll have the results by today i hope. I wasn't able to get on Yesterday for Religious reasons. But im on today (hope the judges are on lols)

Lol Religious reasons?
Lol if you want to know get on MSN,
I'll do some judging as a break from working on my entry for EOTW
Me want to I like to icon but i want to become way better so id like to be a contestent im ok at iconning but im not the best so if ud give me a chance id like to show u ^^
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7