ID:1125778

http://www.secretsofgrindea.com/

So what do you do when you find something that has way more money, man power, momentum, and is nearly complete in comparison to what you're doing?
Lol I came across this game sometime last year have it bookmarked and everything. I'm waiting for this game bigtime.
Keep doing what you're doing! Keep in mind there's always someone in a worse position than you are, but also realize that the concepts that game is doing better than yours may give you insight into making your game better. Also competition can spur you on to make something even greater or better, improvements, and eventually excel past your initial projections. In life there's only one of two ways you can take anything, so which way will you settle on is now the question!
I so wanna see something like this on BYOND!
They have no money. It's just 3 friends working on a game.
Some BYOND games have bigger team than that game does.
Well if anything it can be taken as an inspiration. Especially if it's three people doing this type of work, ya know?
The game I am working on has a lot of similarities to the game I linked, which is part of my dismay.
WELL. you could always strategically place spam bombs to blow up their part of the internetz.

JK. I feel what you are saying tho. It's definitely hard sometimes to focus on your own goal when you see other things, but in order for your project to reach your "vision" sometimes you just have to blind yourself. if that makes sense :o
In response to Dariuc
Didn't understand a lick of it.
In response to ImmeasurableHate
ImmeasurableHate wrote:
Lol I came across this game sometime last year have it bookmarked and everything. I'm waiting for this game bigtime.
Lol so have I.
Zaoshi wrote:
They have no money. It's just 3 friends working on a game.
Some BYOND games have bigger team than that game does.
I think this is a great example showing how hard work can pay off. There are teams on Byond with at least 5 members + and can't even release an original game.

Other than that i guess it just depends on the person or people making the game. But when i see something like this i get so jelly x,x since i can't do anything like this lol.

This is secretly a BYOND game but has been in development for years.
I'd love to see this: http://youtu.be/Yr2u61bJvJE?t=14s
In a BYOND game. Even my game (high budget, high frame count, high frame rate) isn't this generous in the animated department.
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
In a BYOND game. Even my game (high budget, high frame count, high frame rate) isn't this generous in the animated department.

You can make a game similar. If you got every great pixel artist on BYOND (Plus more) and amazing coders.
In response to VixiV
VixiV wrote:
ImmeasurableHate wrote:
Lol so have I.

Only cause I showed you!
In response to King_LiOnZ
King_LiOnZ wrote:
FIREking wrote:

You can make a game similar. If you got every great pixel artist on BYOND (Plus more) and amazing coders.

Its not entirely possible unless you pre-render a lot of stuff. The reason is because server ticks are tied to graphical frames. This is ok though, its a small trade off for everything DM can do for you right off the bat.

In the future, I would hope for separation of the network protocol and the client so that we could still use DM to create a game, but write a new front end for it. This way you could make your client draw graphics in a much more useful way. For example, the server could just instance a "damage number" and the client could be programmed to make that damage number "move up in y value and fade out from view" without any extra information or packet data from the server. Currently, this isn't possible (without sending all clients who can see that floating number a packet update) with what we're given, but it is needed to accomplish things that you see in games like Secrets of Grindia, for example.
If anything this should serve as motivation, inspiration, and an evident goal to anyone on here developing a truly original game. I personally would want to see more games on BYOND strive to be like that.
In response to FIREking
I've seen a lot of the art before, is it from something else(RPGMaker?) or have I seen this game before?
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
I've seen a lot of the art before, is it from something else(RPGMaker?) or have I seen this game before?

I doubt it. I've been tracking this game's development from the beginning, and as far as I know, all of their art work is original.
They use a popular style in the pixel art community, but all of the art is original.
In response to Magnum2k
Magnum2k wrote:
NNAAAAHH wrote:

I doubt it. I've been tracking this game's development from the beginning, and as far as I know, all of their art work is original.

It isn't.
Page: 1 2