it was a great input from all..
I googled a Hello World guide and from there on I fiddled with the Hello World to understand it. When I wanted more the Dev Forum was there to help it. In fact. . Without the Dev Forum I practically wouldn't be a coder. v_v I love you guys! :')
Dream Maker History

2008: -999 errors and 999 warnings-
As a lot of people in BYOND, I found it cause I wanted to create my own games so I search on Google: Create my own games for free *cough*GAMEDBZPLEASE*cough*. I started fishing on BYOND and caught an interesting Library *cough*ILOVEDBZ*cough* that would bring me *cough*Un*cough*fortunately to what we call The Universe.. *cough*Underworld*cough*:"Original *cough*Rip*cough*". I then started to search a bunch of Libraries *cough*Rips*cough* and find out how to program in the good *cough*bad*cough* way.

2009: -998 errors and 994 warnings-

In the middle 2009 I started being called a "Hoster" and got in my grip a source that I then started to work on. A Davin Naruto. I started learning Basics such as: Variables, Procs and a bunch of other things a Novice would have to know. I had then heard of the Blue Book, which is a Book of the Resource available online. I wasn't interested that much in the book but knew now how people would learn how to code and wrote in my mind *cough*savefiles*cough* that there's a guide to learn.

2010: -578 errors and 487 warnings-

In the early 2010, I pretended myself to be a Programmer. I started working for a bunch of games and would steal the source to learn a bit more of coding. I would then be Owner of over 20 Rips and most of them were the same except the name. Every Naruto Rips I'd enter people would know me and start shouting: "It's the owner of [what ever rip]!". I then left BYOND in the march 2010 cause I was bored of the Davins and had no more internet cause of my addiction over the past 2 years.

2011: -200 Errors and 197 Warnings-

In the early 2011, I came back to BYOND and called myself:"Addmelol" due the fact I lost my password. I continued to rip but a different, but similar source of Davin, Naruto Beast. I then wanted to learn a bit more of Programming. I searched for over a thousand of Programmer and asked them all to help me learn how to program. I then got this message from a Programmer: "If you want to learn how to program, start a game from scratch". I followed his advice and made a One Piece game. I soon cancelled it because of FUNimation banning all their anime. I quit Programming and started playing. I then started learning HTML & CSS and would edit some CSS Blog(Or was that 2012). I would make Hubs from Scratch and would learn from few sites and integrate HTML codes to my hub and then would remember it. I then started calling myself: Hub Designer and Blog/Forum Designer.

2012: -999 errors and 999 warnings-

I came back to place 1. I had to find a way to learn how to program and wouldn't help myself ripping games. I then got sociable with the community and started making posts. I was being hated by someone who is now, I believe, my friend Hir0shi. We even got into a "cyber fight" and I wouldn't help pretending to be stuffs I wasn't really. In the middle 2012 I started learning the real meaning of Proc, Variables, etc. I would start to think I was worthy enough to be called a Programmer and was suited to program most of the games. Or what would be related to anime. In the ending of 2012 (recently) I started thinking of making something original, Story-wise and Programming-wise.

2013: -50 errors and 50 warnings-

Now I do not think I should be worthy enough to be called Experienced Programmer nor do I think I should be called the best but I am still trying to become one. I, also, am trying to become a Pixel Artist by following Elk Dakshire's style. She is incredible and If I can one day be tutored by such great Pixel Artist, god probably blessed me. Programming wise, I am making three project. Naruto Odyssey, Hungry Joker & Dojo - Art's Legends
In the contrary I have just done mistake over the past few years.
I love math, so I guess I just came to love programming as well. :)

Started with html , moved onto php, then C++. After that I kinda ignored it for a few years. Then bought a few more programming for games books, read them and got more into it once again. I started working with unity script and made a game there, then realized that if I wanted my game to be a success I needed a bit more experience making games- so I came back to byond. I figured making a few games here would help me learn alot more to prepare me for professional projects, without the high risk of losing profits by making games that never see the light of day. Which brings me to the present in a nutshell.
I dabbled in C++ for a while, tried Java, but I wasn't an experienced programmer at the time, so the learning curve was very steep. I found BYOND through a very good friend and was hooked from day one. Since then my understanding of OOP has allowed me to dive into C++ without any difficulty at all. I've been programming since I was 14 and been learning everything about C++ since I was 16. I'm 19 now with a very strong base in software engineering.

I honestly believe that anyone who is just beginning as a computer programmer learn DM first. It will give you the basics required to move on from there.
In response to Dark-DVF
Dark-DVF wrote:
2013: -50 errors and 50 warnings-

Now I do not think I should be worthy enough to be called Experienced Programmer nor do I think I should be called the best but I am still trying to become one. I, also, am trying to become a Pixel Artist by following Elk Dakshire's style. She is incredible and If I can one day be tutored by such great Pixel Artist, god probably blessed me. Programming wise, I am making three project. Naruto Odyssey, Hungry Joker & Dojo - Art's Legends

I'm pretty sure Elk is a guy.
So, I came across BYOND when I was about 12 years old, and Googled "How to make your own game" (or something similar). I had actually used other tools before, like Game Maker and RPG Maker (and some... random game-making program that came on a CD I got for free from a PC Games magazine; remember when CDs used to have tons of PC Game Demos?). I remember this last program vividly, despite not knowing its name. It was event-oriented and had been discontinued for a few years, so the website, the reference -- nothing was available.

Up until the moment I downloaded BYOND, I had read, literally, 0 lines of code in my entire life. English wasn't my first language, and there were no tutorials in portuguese back then. But I had played Castle, Mafia, Murder Mansion, SpaceCastle, Space Station 13, Desert Defenders, and I just fell in love with BYOND.

Having the "Hub" be built-in to DS was just the most comfortable thing ever. I could literally change the game I was playing by clicking the "Hub" button, scrolling down a list, and clicking on another entry!

[i]As a side note: I actually played MLAAS for many hours... by myself. I couldn't host, and there were no servers up (I think?), so, you know. Yeah. I'm terribly ashamed of this.[/i]

Moving on...

I started to learn how to program by reading the first 4 (or so) chapters of the Blue Book.
After I got the hang of variables and procs, I started downloading resources. Man, that was confusing, but I learned a hell of a lot from looking at the resources' sources.

And, finally, I started using F1. Hell, even today I still use F1 (there's literally an entire savefile code block under client/New() that I've never learned).

Special thanks to Audeuro for helping me throughout this process, despite me not being able to speak english. Sincerely, Aud, you're a damned boss.
In response to Gooseheaded
Gooseheaded wrote:
(there's literally an entire savefile code block under client/New() that I've never learned).

I never knew that was there... I always end up finding new things whenever I browse through the DM Guide.
I'm the product of 2003 ;p. Altering demos, altering sources (rips), and Help-On. Besides that I followed the "if at first you don't succeed, try try again," mentality. Had no prior experience and I was a twelve year old who barely used a computer. I am confident in saying BYOND is what got me using computers frequently.

I do remember the first thing I learned. I was playing with a Zeta rip for a handful of hours and it hit me like a ton of bricks that += meant add to and -= meant take away. That realization pretty much got the ball rolling. If only I wasn't too lazy to read back then I might had learned quicker...

*Edit* Found BYOND through a friend the day he downloaded it. Sadly, I don't think he knows how to program anymore =(
I learned by looking at rips but, just as everyone say "Learn from watching" this is what I really need. Someone who lives by me and know how to program to teach me directly not over the computer. Doing pixels is impossible for me and if practice was allowed in my brain it'd take me 40 years. I don't practice, either I do or I don't do.
I never touched rips. I knew about their horrible reputation before I even began programming here.
For Me I Learned DM by trial and error and F1.

In general programming:

I started by learning html (Not really programming but still.)
and then Batch Script and C++ and then I stumbled onto byond and played Acebloke's Wargames and Ginseng's Dungeon Master and I fell in love with BYOND and set out to learn DM. When I started I took on big projects that I never finished due to a lack of know how, however slowly but surely by keeping at it I learned what I know now and I am amazed by what can be done with DM :)

DM is a great language and I would recommend anyone to learn it as It has even helped me learn other languages since I became familiar with the concept of programming due to it.

Overall Byond has been a life changing experience. :)

Bloodocean7.
I learned by watching some ripped stuff.. Then, I realized that the best way to learn BYOND programming is F1.
How could you learn from rips anyways? They're horribly commented, horribly optimized, and contain no actual code to learn from. Everything included is amateur at best.
In response to Solomn Architect
Solomn Architect wrote:
How could you learn from rips anyways? They're horribly commented, horribly optimized, and contain no actual code to learn from. Everything included is amateur at best.

Back in the day, I didn't know a thing about programming. At least a rip can teach you the basic no matter how horribly programmed it is. THEN, when you at least know the basic, you start understanding that not everything you see in a rip is what you should be following as a model.

Edit: And as I said, most of what I've learned was just with F1.
I agree with RareScar. Even though a RIP is badly made you can still learn shit.
I think I dabbled with HTML, Then Java. Was amateurish with both of them. Then came here, stopped programming for a few years, then once the NNG source leaked I decided to take a peak at that. Basically re-learned everything and more on top of what I knew through that ripped source.

It was actually somewhat a challenge considering I also had to fix the 24(?) errors that were in the original leaked source. Or atleast, the copy I got.
I started out in middle school by trying to create a Zork-style adventure game in QBASIC - teaching myself as I went along. Being my first project, it was VERY poorly-designed, and the game eventually became so bloated with conditional statements that it refused to compile/run. ( That game was ~2/3 of Ramdra, which I eventually recreated from scratch, much-improved, on BYOND: http://www.byond.com/games/Gakumerasara/Ramdra )

I took a course in C++ in high school, briefly dabbled in RPGM2K, and then I discovered Dragon Warrior Online - which I played for some time before realizing that I could use BYOND to create my own games. At that point, I started spamming the Newbie section of the BYOND forums with daily questions and slowly got the gist of the system. Aside from BYOND, I now do most of my programming in Python (having taken a few courses), though I also do a lot of BYOND:SQL interfacing as well.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6