ID:1247041

Hello everyone! I am starting a project of my own to make a video series covering the DM Guide.

This is the first video, which covers the first half of the first chapter of the Guide.

This alone tells me that this will be a long and arduous task, but I think it'll be pretty fun so long as I can get some feedback to keep me motivated :)

It's 15 minutes long, and can be found here: http://youtu.be/L7hZ_bd90b4
You sound a lot different than what I expected you to sound like haha :P Glad to see someone is finally making video tutorials. I find them interesting and fun and it can be a lot easier for some people to learn. I hope you get through the whole guide :)
Haha well thanks I guess? XD
Yeah I'm really hoping to get through it. Feedback is always wonderful and keeps me motivated for the next one lol.
-Likes- Thank you ^_^. Now the rating of people learning code will most probably be higher. Other might get in this video by accident and just join BYOND. :)

EDIT: Also, If you manage to finish this guide and people liked your tutorials, you should try to find some of those tutorials and pick the best and do videos. That would certainly help since I(and a lot of other people) learned also from those tutorials.
I just finished the script for part 2 and am downloading Camtasia. I have somewhere to be tonight, so if the video is not up tonight it will be up within the next few days. I'm going to try to at least get the recording done before I have to leave.
Alright, the recording is done. I'll do the editing and uploading tomorrow.
Alright, status update, I am done editing and I am currently rendering the video and will be uploading it immediately after. This one will be a much higher quality than the last (Thank you Camtasia). I've decided to just contain all of the video discussion into this thread, so I changed the name to generalize it more.

The second video should be up within the next two hours if all goes well.
Nevermind, that went a lot faster than I expected! Camtasia is full of surprises. It's up, here you go!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDZhARFo6MQ
I just finished editing the third video, and it's rendering/uploading right now! I'll let you all know when it's up.

This entire episode was a battle with my tongue, it was horrible.
I'll never understand why anyone would try to learn programming from a video.

I just wanted to say I'm actually impressed by the quality of the videos, however. Good job.
Well, it is more a matter of learning styles. If you're an auditory/visual learner, this kind of stuff is golden to you.
In response to Stephen001
I get that, but the entire field is an art of text. If you can't learn from reading text, you're missing:
- Learn from the DM Guide/Reference, of course
- Learn from the forums
- Learn from demos/libraries/other code
- Translate own code, debug own code, learn from own code

And let's face it: at least 2 if not 3 of those are vital to success with the DM language.

Unless someone wants to make a video series on the BYOND forums as well. :P
In response to Hiead
Hiead wrote:
Unless someone wants to make a video series on the BYOND forums as well. :P

This week, Naruto Ultimate Jutsu x100 Gaem was released, resulting in a flame war!

I just wanted to say I'm actually impressed by the quality of the videos, however. Good job.
Thanks for the compliment, I'm new to tutorials but I'm trying my best! haha

I understand the issues with learning programming through videos, but my hopes with these tutorials are to introduce people to DM in a way they are more familiar with, so at least their curiosity is piqued and they may have an increased chance of seeking more information and be more willing to read big sections of text.
Well, for people making their first game, a skip out on some of those textual sources isn't so bad, provided their fundamentals are alright. It's probably also fair to say, the video format is a fair bit more engaging than text, so presumably nicer for a younger audience.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
Well, for people making their first game, a skip out on some of those textual sources isn't so bad, provided their fundamentals are alright. It's probably also fair to say, the video format is a fair bit more engaging than text, so presumably nicer for a younger audience.

Agreed. That's why Khan Academy and the other online video course sites are becoming more popular. Learning from a video can be appealing to a user who does not want to sit through and read a book. That's not the same as not being able to sit through and read their code, which actually pertains directly to them.
Nice work Albro1! These video tutorials are professional. I think it's nice to hear the DM Guide explained by an actual human. I think it's easier to stay focused on something you can listen to and watch, rather than having to read through the text yourself.

While I do think you need to actually read the guide in order to gather all the details, I would agree that videos like these are a great way to introduce new programmers to DM. I would hope that this series catches the attention of outsiders, and helps to catalyze BYOND development.
In response to Dark-DVF
EDIT: THESE TUTORIALS! - Those are what I meant
truly awesome dude i cant wait for your next video
i will spread these videos to anyone i know wanting to learn DM
Page: 1 2