Insanely generous donation of $500 today. Wow.
In response to Madow
Madow wrote:

No matter the amount , at least they're willing to help (:
Question, lets say we hit and go beyond this months donations - would the extra amount carry over to next month?
The "fund-o-meter" definitely isn't updating.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
The "fund-o-meter" definitely isn't updating.

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1286121
In response to Madow
Madow wrote:

Yeah, I felt quite generous today :P
Nice to meet you Drakina, and thanks a lot for that :D I'm glad people like you are around.
In response to Teka123
Teka123 wrote:
Nice to meet you Drakina, and thanks a lot for that :D I'm glad people like you are around.

Nice to meet you too, And considering I like a lot of games on Byond, and that most roleplaying I do, I do it on Byond, I'd be quite bummed out if it went down, lots of good games would be lost too :C
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
Question, lets say we hit and go beyond this months donations - would the extra amount carry over to next month?

It will not, but one thing we could do is show how we're doing for the whole year, to give a cumulative affect.

I'm inspired by the contributions so far!
Well not sure about all the Funimation rules and whatever, but i'm sure there was a whole ordeal about DragonballZ games. Dragon Universe no longer makes any attempt to cover the fact that their creation is completely based off the franchise, and it is known the owners, TensofDU and Exgenesis making profits off of it.
Well my point is, i think it's well within your rights to ask(demand ;]) that they throw some of their earnings your way for allowing them on your website.

And yeah, it's totally a personal vendetta.
I don't think it works that way Kensei, and i hope someone smarter than myself will explain it lol.
Oh well whether it happens or not isn't a big deal, I just hatched this beautiful brain-child, and as it's father I couldn't let it die without putting it out there. I'm sure you can relate =]
Agagagagh. Well basically, it would be discriminatory to target DU and just it alone. Besides even though it is copied from DBZ, it was still coded afresh from the owners (from my knowledge).

Put simply it's unfair to target 1 game just because they earn big 'bucks'.

And also, good job drakina. I'm so gonna have to make you something in SAO..
I'm sure we can find other games that fit the criteria. I noted i mentioned DU for a reason. Also, i don't think Funimation really cares that they coded from scratch, just my opinion though =o
Lol.
Anything using Funimation's intellectual property falls under the C&D. If I can go super saiyan, even if the game isn't named DBZ, i imagine it's in violation. I would also be willing to bet that even showing a concept from Funimation's intellectual property (let's say, a transformation where your hair turns spiked and gold and you gain a golden aura), even if it doesn't use official artwork or names, it'd be in violation too.

I don't have anything against fan games or DBZ, I'm just saying what I think the situation is.
In response to Bloodocean7
Bloodocean7 wrote:
It is good to see Tom getting something back for all his hard work and dedication :)

I feel relief in knowing that byond has hope now and at this rate won't become abandonware.

at the moment all I can contribute is new games and I will be uploading them often (usually short but unique ones for now until my main project is done.) However should I stumble across a extra dollar or two I will be sure to send it Tom's way.

Now go get something good to eat Tom and breathe easy Byond is on it's way to success :)

I shall do the same and try to invite more people to our wonderfully family... hopefully my paperwork goes in soon and that I can get an income so that way I can pay Tom back for all the years I have been on byond. :( he deserves it...
First off I want to say thank you to Tom for sticking with BYOND for so long. When I was in middle school I used BYOND to learn programming and it drove my fascination with software development for many years to come. Currently, I am a employed in one of the largest software companies in the world and making a great salary all due to the education that was given to me by BYOND.

I don't regularly use BYOND anymore but do sometimes visit the website to check out what new developments have been made. I am very sad to see that BYOND is in so much trouble but to be honest, I am surprised it even lasted so long in the first place!

Tom you've defiantly burned out. It's understandable you have been working so hard on this project for such a LONG time. I know my suggestions don't matter much but from my perspective I don't think this donation model will save BYOND, I expect the donation to work well the first couple of months but afterwards funds will dry up once again.

How can we save BYOND? My only suggestions are this

(1) Tom please take a nice vacation, go somewhere away. Forget about BYOND for a week or two.
(2) FINISH the flash client.
(3) Create an asset marketplace where users can buy/sell assets (icons, code, etc). See the Unity asset marketplace as an example
(4) Flash is going to die, it will buy you time but not if you want BYOND to last longer. Your best bet is hitting HTML5 and making it possible for your games to run on IPad, IPhone, Windows 8, Android, etc.

Its a tough road ahead and I don't know if BYOND will make it. I hope it does.
Thanks for the comments, everyone. Regarding BYOND's future: as I've said, I look at this as largely a legacy project. We've put a LOT of work into BYOND but the infrastructure is old and it is difficult to maintain. We have a few developments/ideas that have been in production for a while (the main one being the Flash client / generic client API) that I would like to finish, and the short-term goal of this funding is to at least ensure that. Long term, it's hard to say, as at some point it is smarter to start with something fresh than to keep building on an outdated system.

Regarding the donations themselves, I am very impressed with the returns so far. The community has surpassed my expectations certainly in this first week. The obvious concern of course is that it won't last. At the very least, I hope that the fund-o-meter makes people aware that the project needs support, should they be on the fence of contributing. Every month we do get a certain amount of Memberships and hopefully that will increase. It is not really a business model but, like I said in the original post, we've tried various approaches to that and found the process to be fruitless. As I mentioned in another post, it's really not very smart to form a business around a product after the fact-- if the goal is to make money, then figure that out up front. Lesson learned! But hopefully we'll recoup something nonetheless.
I should make a game called Tom and Dan (Tom = cat and Dan = mouse) and make a lot of items you have to pay for for we can make the bar have more money :D
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 34 35 36