What is going to become of non-member hubs after the transition? Will they all continue to exist but just not be modifiable by non-members, or will they all be deleted?

Personally I feel like they should be deleted just to lighten the load on BYOND's servers from the tens of thousands of dead/rejected hubs and give BYOND more of a blank slate to press foward with.
LordAndrew wrote:
What is going to become of non-member hubs after the transition? Will they all continue to exist but just not be modifiable by non-members, or will they all be deleted?

I believe this has already been answered... And "continue to exist but just not be modifiable by non-members" is right.
forum posts in existingsites/guilds will, unfortunately, be inaccessible after this update.

This is terrible. I have over 600 posts on my blog's forum, most of them questions about how to use my libraries. I'd rather not lose them. I've been optimistic about this site update but this here is bad news. The baby is getting thrown out with the bath water.
Complex Robot wrote:
I believe this has already been answered... And "continue to exist but just not be modifiable by non-members" is right.

Actually, we've decided to be lax on this and allow expired hubs (which is what non-member hubs will be considered) to be mostly modifiable (a few things, such as medal creation, are only available to member-owned hubs).

Forum_account wrote:
I have over 600 posts on my blog's forum, most of them questions about how to use my libraries. I'd rather not lose them. I've been optimistic about this site update but this here is bad news. The baby is getting thrown out with the bath water.

Well, like I said, we still have that data. It's just not setup in a way that we can currently integrate into the new system, since we don't have custom forums. If it's very important that you keep your existing questions, we could try to move them into the respective hub forums for you.

Tom wrote:
Well, like I said, we still have that data. It's just not setup in a way that we can currently integrate into the new system, since we don't have custom forums. If it's very important that you keep your existing questions, we could try to move them into the respective hub forums for you.

If you'd like to move threads to hub forums, that'd be fine. It's not a huge problem if I lose that content, it's just a problem if I lose that content because the BYOND staff doesn't have the sense to consider that there might be useful content in user forums.

You've got to start giving BYOND users more credit or you're bound to continue attracting people who are as dumb as you expect them to be. While it is nice to see the staff blogging more, the "special TL;DR for the ADD generation" post was disappointing. With an attitude like that it's no wonder BYOND has a terrible community.
I don't want to lose the Snippet Database, either. That's a lot gone to waste :(
I thought the TL;DR; was kind of funny. Heck, I wouldn't read all that.

It's not that we didn't consider that custom forums had useful content, it's that it's a pain in the butt for us to put in the new system without supporting new format custom-forums (which kind of defeats the point of keeping things as simple as possible). But we can look into moving stuff around on request.

I also don't think we have a terrible community. We have a lot of really good users. We also have some bad trolls. Hopefully this update will make it easier to highlight the former and suppress the latter.
DivineTraveller wrote:
I don't want to lose the Snippet Database, either. That's a lot gone to waste :(

Agreed; that's a pretty good resource. We'll see what we can do about moving those into the main forums. I think the first week will be a lot of minor housekeeping to make sure the good content is visible.
DivineTraveller wrote:

Perhaps that can be integrated into that Bwicki-like-system someone mentioned before that was being implemented...
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Perhaps that can be integrated into that Bwicki-like-system someone mentioned before that was being implemented...

Well, we have a forum for tutorials and snippets so I think the best thing is to just put those there. One of the problems with all of these per-site custom forums is that no one really saw the good content. This should help.
Tom wrote:
DivineTraveller wrote:

Agreed; that's a pretty good resource. We'll see what we can do about moving those into the main forums. I think the first week will be a lot of minor housekeeping to make sure the good content is visible.

I'm skeptical of how well that would work. If you put it in one of BYOND's forums, who will know it's there? Having its own user forum gives it a centralized place. In some ways it makes it harder to find, but it also provides a way of grouping that BYOND's forums can't provide. BYOND already has a lot of trouble with good content becoming difficult to find over time and it doesn't seem like this change will help in this regard.
There's a total of maybe 30 snippets there. It's silly to have them in so many categories. We'll just move the snippets to a single, frequently trafficked forum. Then people will actually see them.
Why not create a hub under his name, and move the snippets to the hub's forum, and cross-post to wherever else?
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Why not create a hub under his name, and move the snippets to the hub's forum, and cross-post to wherever else?

Well, it's the same basic thing since the hub forums don't have categories. Putting it in the main forum (where we already have a "tutorial & snippets" section) seems to make more sense as far as visibility goes. I don't think JtGibson (one of our oldest users) will have a problem with not having the same "ownership", but if he does we can always delete them.

Anyway, there's bound to be more cleanup like this as we proceed with the site. I think, ultimately, having less sections will help a great deal, though.
I wish this update was putting all games online... because i want naruto dance of the lotus to be online...
Anthonytyran wrote:
I wish this update was putting all games online... because i want naruto dance of the lotus to be online...

What?
Anthonytyran wrote:

^ Lol'd.
A quick aside, but I was wondering if there was a way I could get in contact with you briefly Tom, I wanted to ask you about some things in private.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5