ID:155383

Is it possible to start profiling the world in world/New(), and then export the results to a log in world/Del()?
I only have remote access to my server and cannot profile the world manually. Its currently crashing for an unknown reason but only when hosted live and not in local testing.
I believe dream daemon has a function that profiles the world.
In response to Lugia319
I don't have access to dream daemon. I don't host the server locally.
I want a way to do it automatically through programming, I know the manual way.
In response to KetchupKid
If you own the game (or the host files which would be the only reason you'd care about it) you can use dream daemon. And how do you not have dream daemon? It comes with friggin BYOND. There's nothing wrong with using the simplest method possible. Why code it in 200 lines when you can do it in 10?
In response to Lugia319
He hosts the game via DD on a remote computer/server. He doesn't have visual access to this instance of DD, because it isn't on his computer. What he needs is a way to begin the profiling remotely and then save the data to a log that he can retrieve from the server.

I would imagine he can't simply host it on his computer and mess around because the best data you can get is from the real server.
KetchupKid wrote:
Is it possible to start profiling the world in world/New(), and then export the results to a log in world/Del()?
I only have remote access to my server and cannot profile the world manually. Its currently crashing for an unknown reason but only when hosted live and not in local testing.

There isn't yet a way to profile into a file. What you can do, is make a file named 'admin.txt' and place it in BYOND/cfg. Inside the file, place your ckey.
Upon joining the server, you then have access to Profile via the Server submenu.

If you wish to capture all world startup procs in your log, join the server, start the profiler, then reboot the server while keeping the profiler open.
In response to Robertbanks2
This is precisely my situation, you explained it better than I.
In response to KetchupKid
well i would say do as murrawhip said (or as far as i understood). To get your crash messages you should have something like this in your program
world
New()
log = "crashfile.txt"

Then probably make a read verb to read the file (the following is very a simple read function)

mob/verb/lookatfile()
var/g = file2text("crashfile.txt")
usr << g

Another thing you probably want to add is a crash message generator. This will allow you to test it to see if it works

mob/verb/Crasshy(msg as text)
CRASH(msg)

Sorry if this wasn't of any use to you or if you didn't require to do this
In response to Murrawhip
Alright thanks. I'll have to wait until a feature is added for this then. Or until my remote server site adds access to dream daemon.