verb
say(msg as text) //what the usr says is passed into "msg" as txt
world << "[usr]: [msg]" //the world sees chatroom-like output
smile()
world << "[usr] smiles."
laugh()
world << "[usr] laughs."
cry()
world << "[usr] cries \his heart out." // \his applies users gender.

turf
grass //defines a "grass" prototype, which is a kind of turf
icon = 'grass.dmi' //and has an icon named 'grass.dmi'. In single quotes!
start
icon = 'start.dmi'

world //we set one of our world's characteristics"
turf = /turf/grass //its default turf is grass turf.

Problem description:
Okay I know i'm going to get ripped apart by everyone with insults for this but that doesn't matter. I am just merely trying to learn the right way to do things for making my first rpg in byond. It may turn into something different but for now as far as i'm concerned I want to make an rpg. I looked at the byond guide and got my character to drop into the game but then when I used some stuff from the First Tutorial by Zalil it made the game empty with only grass and I noticed that my character(s) to create a starting point but they were not dropped into the map when RUN. It's supposed to place the player I would think in a random spot or even with what I put within a certain starting location but it's giving me a headache trying to figure out where I messed it up and dm isn't showing any errors but the map is blank other then being filled with grass so could someone please let me know what i'm doing wrong or where I misinterpreted something in the code?

What I am attempting to do so far is allow the person to be able to pick from 3 different gendered characters to give them an option for the mob they want to be but it's not working out the way I am trying to do it and I think i've done it right based on the guides but obviously if i'm having this issue, I have not done it right at all.

Thanks in Advance for any help.

That was a very bulky run-on sentence, I only skimmed it. It looks like you're trying to Log In twice for some reason, you should put everything under 1 login command.
mob/Login
icon = ''
icon_state = ""
//do whatever else
..()
In response to OrangeWeapons
Ah okay. I'm new to this sort of stuff. Sorry for the run-ons. Thanks for the help and advice.
In response to Deygus
It's perfectly fine, you just don't have to explain your entire story for a programming error.
In response to OrangeWeapons
Ok no problem. I'll keep it short and to the point.

I modified my code to what you gave me, but when I run it, it's doing the same thing. I have a pink, blue, and black char under the same person.dmi file. Is that the best way to do something or no? I run it and, the map is still empty with no char roaming around on it that I see.

mob
Login()
icon = 'Person.dmi'
icon_state = "gender"
loc = locate (/turf/start)
..()
In response to Deygus
Is any of the blue, pink or black icons named "gender" in the dmi file? icon_state is the state of the icon, which is what the state is named in the dmi file.
In response to Enic
Yea...I was following the first part of Zalil's Guide 1 to create a gendered and/or choiced character type to choose from but what I noticed is as soon as that was added and you run the game, it shows no errors or warnings and apparently it doesn't know which one to start with either because you still have no character to roam around the map with.

mob
Login()
icon = 'Person.dmi'
icon_state = "gender"
..()

I'm guessing that it doesn't know which is which still and where to start maybe? But according to Zalil's Guide, it should let you pick and then drop you into the map somewhere.
In response to Deygus
You don't need to define the icon in the Login(). I don't know if that may be the cause to why it's not working for you, but try.

mob
icon='Person.dmi'
icon_state="gender"//I think you actually mean "[gender]" in this one. And if that's how you mean, I'm not sure but I think that's when you have to let it set your icon state in a proc such as Login()
Login()
..()
loc = locate()//w/e you want your loc to be...
In response to Enic
Ok, I understand that. I tried it again but it's still not recognizing the gender and the map shows up empty again. Is there someway to create and let it recognize which gender you want to choose or is that automatic? I tried the same thing with the byond guide and the same issue happened as soon as I made a second gender under the same player.dmi file. I'm still reading more though.
In response to Deygus
The built in var "gender" is automatically the gender depending on your BYOND key.
In response to Enic
Yea I saw how the key defined that, I just wasn't sure how to get it to do that but now its more understandable. Thanks.