ID:151642

Im having some trouble thinking of classes and races. Any race is compatible for any class so what are some ideas for races and classes?
Why not take the races and classes from World of Warcraft? They pretty much have every race and class out there.
In response to DisturbedSixx
DisturbedSixx wrote:
Why not take the races and classes from World of Warcraft? They pretty much have every race and class out there.

That takes away from the originality a little bit
Decide on mechanics first, then choose fancy window-dressing that fits those mechanics.
In response to Derekjeterisgod
Derekjeterisgod wrote:
DisturbedSixx wrote:

I'd like to see an RPG that doesn't stem from the generic RPG's we're used to today. If you've decided on a plot, you should work there and build around it via the races. I can't really help you because I have little knowledge about your game, if you'd like to expand upon your original post I'll be able to contribute more.
In response to KhaosParadox
KhaosParadox wrote:
Derekjeterisgod wrote:
DisturbedSixx wrote:

I'd like to see an RPG that doesn't stem from the generic RPG's we're used to today. If you've decided on a plot, you should work there and build around it via the races. I can't really help you because I have little knowledge about your game, if you'd like to expand upon your original post I'll be able to contribute more.

The exact story isnt layed out yet but its more of an adventure type rpg with one main goal and lots of side type quests. Its still very open I just cant think of any race or class names that would sound like a race of class and hasnt been used in other games hundreds of times.
Right now for the game I am working on, I have some Lizardfolk, Kinnara (half human-half bird) and Changelings (Humanoids that take on the image of their target).

Feel free to use those ideas, just remember you won't be the only person on BYOND with those ideas.
In response to Derekjeterisgod
Derekjeterisgod wrote:
KhaosParadox wrote:
Derekjeterisgod wrote:
DisturbedSixx wrote:

The exact story isnt layed out yet but its more of an adventure type rpg with one main goal and lots of side type quests. Its still very open I just cant think of any race or class names that would sound like a race of class and hasnt been used in other games hundreds of times.

Why do you need "classes" exactly? Why not natural traits, and those gained by experience? If you want a dragon slayer or something, you could add that as an actual occupation. If you're just trying to bend the stat-mods and make them diverse, give the players the choice to do that themselves via customization and character progression. A skill-tree is a good example.

Let's face it, it's nigh impossible to come up with unique classes due to the fact it has been used countless times in the past. Take a different approach.
Masochist - A demonic magic using class based of the mechanic of becoming more demonic to do more damage, however since this magic is inherently chaotic by nature, you increase the chance to hurt yourself while your spells become more powerful.
KhaosParadox wrote:
Derekjeterisgod wrote:
KhaosParadox wrote:
Derekjeterisgod wrote:
DisturbedSixx wrote:

Why do you need "classes" exactly? Why not natural traits, and those gained by experience? If you want a dragon slayer or something, you could add that as an actual occupation. If you're just trying to bend the stat-mods and make them diverse, give the players the choice to do that themselves via customization and character progression. A skill-tree is a good example.

Let's face it, it's nigh impossible to come up with unique classes due to the fact it has been used countless times in the past. Take a different approach.

Not a bad idea, I could have a skill point type system and have the computer tell you what best represents you.. Or something to that matter. I'll play with that for a litte, thanks for the advice.
In response to Mr.Tophat
*my thoughts*

human
alient
cyborg
zombie
dragon
warlock
elf
witch
knight
soilder
defender
guard
lizardman
sandman
wizard
demon
elemental
sage
beast
demi-god
god
troll
goblin
spirit
ghost
engineer
repairman
medical
officer
doctor
nurse
police
fireman
riot officer
navy
marines
airforce
crafter
smither
smelter
miner
fisher

thats about all the classes and/or races i could think of in 30 seconds
In response to Kozuma3
Like garthor said, focus on mechanics first. Don't force yourself to think too much about game content when you don't have a foundation for it. Obviously you want to plan ahead and try to accomodate things you might want in the future, but it sounds like you don't have much material yet so I wouldn't really worry about it.

Also I like the idea of having classes or races stem from the plot. An idea I just thought of randomly would be if you had multiple planets or realms in the game, you could have races that survive off different substances. Like water-based life, silicon-based life, metal-based...doesn't have to be scientific, you could even use earth-air-fire-water. Originality is great but it's sometimes more effective to have original twists on a tried and true structure rather than a totally new structure that falls apart