ID:162229

ok so i cant join the game like usual.So i type in my inside IP address and i still get a failed message.And i cant join the game on the other pc im hosting on because it give me an error with dream seeker

Rjt5555 wrote:
ok so i cant join the game like usual.So i type in my inside IP address and i still get a failed message.And i cant join the game on the other pc im hosting on because it give me an error with dream seeker

byond://localhost:port

ie byond://localhost:4108
In response to Masterdan
Masterdan wrote:
Rjt5555 wrote:

I'm not sure if localhost will work for a separate computer on the same network. It doesn't for various webserver technologies I've tried.
Rjt5555 wrote:

The best way to achieve it is to host off the other computer using DreamDaemon. Determine it's internal-IP address (if it's a WinXP computer, 'ipconfig' inside Command Prompt) and join it using whatever random port it's hosting on (note: computers on the same network don't need to open ports for other PC's on the same network.

It could be a firewall or new program installed may be interfering with the connection process from computer to computer. Have you made any changes?
In response to Tiberath
your router may be blocking it,go to Ipconfig in your command prompt,i forget which one but go to Internet Explorer and type in the ip adress(es until you get the right one) and it will give you a page that says Log in,if youve never ben here then the username will be Admin or administrator and the password is likely to be the same,or blank
In response to Tiberath
Tiberath wrote:
Masterdan wrote:
Rjt5555 wrote:

I'm not sure if localhost will work for a separate computer on the same network. It doesn't for various webserver technologies I've tried.

Well i've tried this happens

Welcome BYOND! (4.0 Beta Version 412.977)
Logging in...connected
Connecting to byond://localhost:1522...connected
Connection failed

So yeah i have no clue whats the problem there.
In response to Jacksanto
BTW im host a game to the world and im trying to joi it on my other pc simply because the pc im hosting on wont let me join on it so i've tried localhost option cmp like a private server
but no luck.I mean im host a game and i cant play it that makes me a little bit pissed.
In response to Rjt5555
Alright, judging from your comment you're hosting a game on one PC on the network and trying to join it from another.

If this is the case, this should work (provided they're both Windows XP Computers).

Go to your Host PC (hear after referred to as HPC, click on your start menu and open the Run prompt. Once there, type in 'cmd' without the quotes and execute the command (press ok). This will open the command prompt. Once that's open, type 'ipconfig' into it, without the quotes and execute the command. It should say somewhere in there "IP Address". This IP Address -should- look something like 192.168.1.15, I say should because there are some networks which go way out of the norm. Anyway, right down that IP address. Then start hosting your game, take note of which port you host on.

Now, on your playing computer, open your pager and go to File -> Open Location. Enter your HPC's IP address followed by the port number you're hosting on, in the form of HPCIP:HPCPORT and attempt to join the world.

If that's a little confusing, I'll try to explain it easier.
In response to Tiberath
Tiberath wrote:
Alright, judging from your comment you're hosting a game on one PC on the network and trying to join it from another.

If this is the case, this should work (provided they're both Windows XP Computers).

Go to your Host PC (hear after referred to as HPC, click on your start menu and open the Run prompt. Once there, type in 'cmd' without the quotes and execute the command (press ok). This will open the command prompt. Once that's open, type 'ipconfig' into it, without the quotes and execute the command. It should say somewhere in there "IP Address". This IP Address -should- look something like 192.168.1.15, I say should because there are some networks which go way out of the norm. Anyway, right down that IP address. Then start hosting your game, take note of which port you host on.

Now, on your playing computer, open your pager and go to File -> Open Location. Enter your HPC's IP address followed by the port number you're hosting on, in the form of HPCIP:HPCPORT and attempt to join the world.

If that's a little confusing, I'll try to explain it easier.

Thanks this worked for me,Thanks every one the Byond staff and members are great
In response to Rjt5555
If you have any further problems of a nature like this, check out BYONDHelp. You'll probably find many of the answers to questions there.
In response to Rjt5555
again its the router
follow my directions...trust me i had the same problems
your router is blocking it FROM ALL COMPUTERS because its a door to YOUR COMPUTER WITH NO SERCURITY from the router,so it does the obvious choice,block it
In response to Jacksanto
Jacksanto wrote:
again its the router
follow my directions...trust me i had the same problems
your router is blocking it FROM ALL COMPUTERS because its a door to YOUR COMPUTER WITH NO SERCURITY from the router,so it does the obvious choice,block it

My explanation has already fixed him up. And sorry to contradict you, but you're incorrect. A router is the gateway from your network to the Internet. Some might (I'm unsure) but I've never found any options in the three routers I have to block all network traffic from one computer to another. The only time the router is instigated to effect the network is if something is trying to connect from an outside source to a local source, or vice versa.
In response to Tiberath
my router is a Moterola router,and its blocking anyone from connecting to my computer through hosting,honestly it might just be a problem of brands.
In response to Jacksanto
Jacksanto wrote:
my router is a Moterola router,and its blocking anyone from connecting to my computer through hosting,honestly it might just be a problem of brands.

This could be true, or maybe just a simple misunderstanding of terminology on both our parts.

The key question is, are you on a shared network or is the router connected directly to your computer?

I wont deny that routers will block traffic to hosts, but that's only if the user attempting to connect is coming from a source outside your local network (ergo: If you tried to connect to a server you're hosting off your computer, using either the same computer or one connected to it via Cat5, your router wouldn't get in the way because it's not being used in this instance).

See, our friend here was asking how to join a game from his local network. He wasn't attempting to allow others to pass through his router into his network to access the game. Which is where you got mixed up. Had he been trying to let users from outside sources try to connect, you'd have been correct. It would be a router issue and a completely different fix would have been needed.
It works for me, but I can't use reboot/profile world menu for some reason.

In some countrys you have internal and external IP different, so it might be that you typing wrong one
In response to Tiberath
well now its documented if said host would want to publicly host something,so we all win.