ID:183517

Just got 2 new computer both with Vista. Im going to put my Window 3.1 onto the desktop for more speed. Good idea? Suggestions?
if your gonna do anything with Vista.. Keep in mind that they are compatable with almost nothing that XP is and that your going to run into many problems with it. Best thing to do is have a large HD and a lot of RAM so that when they come up with a security pack that thing will still be fast as hell!
Derekjeterisgod wrote:
Just got 2 new computer both with Vista. Im going to put my Window 3.1 onto the desktop for more speed. Good idea? Suggestions?

Ignoring the fact that this is either a joke topic, or you're an idiot, 3.1 wouldn't run on the hardware. Just use Vista, there is nothing wrong with it. It runs perfectly fine on my laptop, and doesn't use much RAM with Aero on.
In response to Robertg0123
Robertg0123 wrote:
Keep in mind that they are compatable with almost nothing

Have you even used Vista properly? It's compatible with everything I've tried using it with. Including my webcams drivers that logitech said wouldn't.

It's alright for you to not like something, but don't lie about it.
In response to Smoko
Me and my friend have been kind of disappointed with Vista. He installed it (I use XP) on his new PC and loads of old classic games don't seem to work on it. Stuff like Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun... Age of Empires 2 was also buggy. Sucks, and we tried everything to get it working!
In response to Elation
I said everything I've tried, just in case something like this was posted.

I've only tried Warcraft 3 and its expansion, and Command And Conquer: Zero Hour. This is mainly because I only have Vista on a laptop, and I can't be bothered playing games on it.
I pray you're joking

~Kujila
In response to Smoko
I agree; I haven't had any problems with Vista personally, even with games, although I've helped a lot of customers who have bizarre accounting software that won't work properly.

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
Kujila wrote:
I pray you're joking

~Kujila

Yeah. He should be installing Windows 3.11 instead. It comes with built-in networking.
I'd recommend Ubuntu as a more serious upgrade. Either that or downgrading to XP. Vista is... a mis-step. Kind of the ME II of operating systems.

Sure it's pretty, and it's not meant as a slight to those that do like it, I in fact love some of the features. But, the OS as a whole feels stupidly slow. (That's probably more the fault of OEM manufacturers being forced by microsoft to shove the OS on anything that runs it than the OS). As well, the whole lock in strategy my Microsoft screams that lock-in is the only way they'll get people to use it. For examples take a look at Shadowrun and other supposed 'Direct X 10' games on the market now that well.. really aren't. They simply have code to disable running on Windows XP, with an unofficial patch, they're up an running on Windows XP just fine, IE: Not direct x 10.

There's lots more to dislike about Windows Vista, but, most of it is the same stuff people -should- dislike about Windows XP. There's just absolutely no reason my OS should require a stronger computer than most of my games from my point of view.

In response to Jon88
Butofcourse! Don't forget OS/2 warp! He could give that a shot too.

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
Kujila wrote:
Butofcourse! Don't forget OS/2 warp! He could give that a shot too.

~Kujila

Yeah. Version 4 I think it is comes with built-in speech recognition.
In response to Elation
Elation wrote:
Me and my friend have been kind of disappointed with Vista. He installed it (I use XP) on his new PC and loads of old classic games don't seem to work on it. Stuff like Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun... Age of Empires 2 was also buggy. Sucks, and we tried everything to get it working!

Thats because the IPX network protocol was removed from Vista as it was a legacy protocol and posed security risks. Dual Boot XP and you'll be fine.
RA2, TS and AOE3 all work for me but Multiplayer doesnt because they use IPX.

For all the people saying blah blah vista sucks, go linux, some people actually want to be able to install network drivers and play games without having to spend 10 hours just getting everything to work.
In response to Critical
Critical wrote:
For all the people saying blah blah vista sucks, go linux, some people actually want to be able to install network drivers and play games without having to spend 10 hours just getting everything to work.

if you spent 10 hours setting up networking in a modern linux distro then you might consider that you've been using the wrong distros, or maybe go back to school. i don't think i've ever spent more than 2-3 minutes setting up networking on any distro in the last 3-4 years.
In response to digitalmouse
Wireless Network drivers for Fedora V3 a while back, I spent a whole night on trying to get them to work and I just for the life of me couldn't.