ID:1441704

My most recent work after a 2 year break from pixel art ._.

I have a bit of trouble shading with a big canvas. I don't want to overshade, but I also don't want it to look too flat..help is appreciated

I think that a key to making it look less flat without overshading is to stick more detail/texture into the larger, open areas.

For instance, sprinkle some more "clumps" of hair around in the middle of that large expanse of pinkish-red.

Also, I wouldn't be afraid to throw in another shade or two. I see an outline, a dark shade/shadow, and then the light/base shade on most of those. I'd add a highlight shade as well. And perhaps even another shade between the dark and base shades.
Did a quick edit
It's a pretty poor job, but something like that right?

It may end up being used in a game. Does it look like a game quality sprite?
In response to Danny112
Conflicting light sources:

In response to ExPixel
ExPixel wrote:
Conflicting light sources:

This.
By the way, long time, Danny. It's Kappa from GOA.

In response to Southend_boi
Southend_boi wrote:

shouldn't the tail be a bit darker than the rest of the body since its farther back?

Ur shading style is a lot different than mine, but very good nevertheless
In response to Danny112
Danny112 wrote:
Southend_boi wrote:

shouldn't the tail be a bit darker than the rest of the body since its farther back?

Ur shading style is a lot different than mine, but very good nevertheless
the tail can be the same color as the rest of the body with key areas of the tail shaded they can even be fully shaded with key highlights to make it pop just really depends on what type of shading you want.

i usually shade/create multiple versions of something i create to get the perfect style.