In response to Scoobert
Enders Game
- - - - - -
The Transsal Saga
- - - - - -
Gary Pualson books
I like Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince trilogy.
And David Edding's Belagariad series is cool.
Tolkein's The Lord of the Rings is probably some of the best books out there.
And Rowling's Harry Potter series is okay.
I like the Dragon Lance books.
And, who could forgot Ann McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern (Recently, her son, Todd McCaffrey, has published a couple books in that series)
And, Dean Koonts and John Grisham are on my top authors list, but they have too many books to list them here =) (I especially like Koonts new book Velocity. I just got done reading it last night)
And the Inheritance trilogy by Christopher Paoulini (sp?) rocks. So far only #1, Eragon has benn released so far. Eldest is set to be released soon though. (COME ON! HOW COULD NO ONE HAVE MENTIONED THIS?)
And the His Dark Materials trilogy by ....John Pullman I think?... is pretty good. It's three books are The Golden Compass, The Subtly Knife, and the Amber Spyglass I'm not sure if thats the right order though. I may have gotten #2 and #3 mixed up.
Terry Pratchet is an okay author, but I've only read a couple.
Mercedes Lacky(sp?) is good. I can't remember the names of the books I've read by her, but I remember them. Lets see...The main dude was gay, he had a magical horse thing, and a few other cool features. Not the best, but better than some.
And Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles are cool.

<FONT color="red">And, my role model, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. She first gt published at 14 (more-she found out about it on her 14th birthday). Among my favorite of her books are Shattered Mirror, Demon in my View, and Midnight Predator, but I'll read them all. My advice to you: READ AMELIA ATWATER-RHODES
I know everything about her. I've read her Bio, her Autobio, and every single one of her books I could find. She normally writes about vampires, but every once in a while something different will come out. I originally got interested in writing by Rowling, but Rhodes is my inspiration. Her birthday is April 16, she is currently 21, and I worship the gorund she walks on.</font>

Of course, I enjoy the books I write, and its only a matter of time before you can enjoy them as well. I've found an agent. Next step-Publish. Look for Dragon Fire by James Burrow, coming soon to a bookstore near you. =)
Well, I like all books.
In response to digitalmouse
Out of your list, I like Terry Pratchet, Anne McCaffrey, and Mercedes Lackey.
In response to Scoobert
The Enders Game series are okay, I guess. Their good to read when you have nothing better to do.
I like the book Fahrenheit 451, and i dont like reading...lol.
In response to Infernal dragon
That book was okay, not very memorable though. Of course, it does make sense that someone who doesn't like reading would read a book about reading being illegal.
In response to Jamesburrow
Jamesburrow wrote:
And the His Dark Materials trilogy by ....John Pullman I think?... is pretty good.

It is good, but it's by Philip Pullman. Not John. =)

I like many many many books. One of my recent favourites is Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton; I own a paperback copy and its huuuuuge; 1144 pages! It's half as thick as it is long, it's incredible. Anyway, he's currently writing the sequel, Judas Unchained, and it's scheduled for an October release; I can't wait. =)

It's science fiction, set in a future where humanity has colonised dozens of planets, linked using a system of controlled wormholes. I read the prologue to start with and was sucked right in. It goes into all the intrigue in the huge sprawling cities on all the different planets and spends ages setting up the world and its inhabitants; there are too many plot threads to describe, but they're incredibly varied, from detective stories to the activities of undercover freedom fighters and alien conspiracy theorists. To the author's credit, it keeps you guessing and manages to stay very interesting the entire way through; but near the end they investigate "Pandora's Star", and... well, I won't spoil it, but it's seriously AWESOME.
Jamesburrow wrote:
And the Inheritance trilogy by Christopher Paoulini (sp?) rocks. So far only #1, Eragon has benn released so far. Eldest is set to be released soon though. (COME ON! HOW COULD NO ONE HAVE MENTIONED THIS?)

omg, agreed. That book is amazing.
In response to Ol' Yeller
Ah! His dark materials was a great set of books, I think I liked the first one the most, with all the northren setting.
They Keys to the kingdom is a good set of books, though not completed yet.
In response to JJA
My top favorite book series is The Dark Tower. But the thing is, you cant just count that series, since alot of King's book s actully revolve around them.

Another series I like is the Sword of Truth Series by Terry Good King.

Harry Potter is a good book series, I dont care what anyone says.

The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, are both two very good books and series.

The Lion, Witch and the Warbdrobe is also a awesome series.

Frakenstine was a very good book, I was surprised.

And another favorite of mine is The Sword in the Stone. There is so much in that book Disney left out, dammit.

I could list more, my room looks like a library that exploded, but Ill stop. =D
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
Jamesburrow wrote:
And the His Dark Materials trilogy by ....John Pullman I think?... is pretty good.

It is good, but it's by Philip Pullman. Not John. =)

Oops. Thought I had messed up, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the correction. =)

I like many many many books. One of my recent favourites is Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton; I own a paperback copy and its huuuuuge; 1144 pages! It's half as thick as it is long, it's incredible. Anyway, he's currently writing the sequel, Judas Unchained, and it's scheduled for an October release; I can't wait. =)

It's science fiction, set in a future where humanity has colonised dozens of planets, linked using a system of controlled wormholes. I read the prologue to start with and was sucked right in. It goes into all the intrigue in the huge sprawling cities on all the different planets and spends ages setting up the world and its inhabitants; there are too many plot threads to describe, but they're incredibly varied, from detective stories to the activities of undercover freedom fighters and alien conspiracy theorists. To the author's credit, it keeps you guessing and manages to stay very interesting the entire way through; but near the end they investigate "Pandora's Star", and... well, I won't spoil it, but it's seriously AWESOME.

I'll be sure to check it out. It sounds interesting.
In response to Shades
Another series I like is the Sword of Truth Series by Terry Good King.

The Sword of Truth series is by Terry Goodkind. Of course, I'm one to talk, thinking it was John Pullman.... =) I read the first book in that series, Wizards First Rule, a couple years ago, and for a time tried to find the rest, but then I forgot about it. Your post helped me remember, and I successfully found #2 Stone of Tears and #3 Blood of the Fold
I could probably find the ones after that though fi I knew the names of nay others. Would you be kind enough to tell me?

The Lion, Witch and the Warbdrobe is also a awesome series

The Series is the Chronicles of Narnia. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is not even book #1 (its #3, I think...)

And another favorite of mine is The Sword in the Stone. There is so much in that book Disney left out, dammit.

Thats a good one, and your right, Disney leaves too much stuff out of everything.

I could list more, my room looks like a library that exploded, but Ill stop. =D

So does mine. =) And my attic, and my garage, and my living room, and my car (its mine, even if I cant drive it yet...Stupid law about having to be 15 to get a permit)....Its actually refreshing when I come to the library (where I'm at now) and actually being able to find specific books with its nice computer catalog thing and its dewey decimal system and its alphebetical listings. Its scary with its organization sometimes, too.

I present to you the Golden Dragon award for appearing to be more obsessed with the species than I am. :o
In response to Sarm
Hey James! Nice to find another Terry fan. I ment to say Goodkind, but I was typing really fast and it was late.

Anyways, here is the book list, which I think actully has 2 or more new additions to it.

Wizards First Rule
Stone of Tears
Blood of the Fold
Temple of the Winds
Soul of Fire
Faith of the Fallen
The Pillars of Creation

There is also a smaller book, not really connected with the Sword of Truth series per-say, its like a autobiography on Zeds Life and what happened, I got that laying around somewhere. I think it might be called Wizards Second Rule. I think its in my bathroom somewhere. lol

Hope it helps.

I wish I read more, after I graduated from High School, I read quite a bit less. I guess working 40 horus a week dosent help either. eh.
Well, I've really enjoyed the usual suspects:

LoTR trliogy (and anything Tolkien, basically), Hitchhiker's guide, 1984, Lord of the Flies, Chronicles of Narnia, Jurassic Park (and sequels), Harry Potter (yes, I like HP, anxiously waiting for the new one coming soon)...

I also really like the Dune series... In fact, I recently picked up Dune: The Butlerian Jihad, which is one of the ones Herbert's son recently wrote (the first of a trilogy, so I need to get the others), and I'm liking it a lot...

Lemony Snicket's "Series of Unfortunate Events" is another unlikely series that I really like (I've read them all)... It's not exactly adult reading, but they're clever enough to entertain...lol

A Wrinkle in Time was a past fave, but I haven't read it since the early years of school...
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
the Hitch Hikers Guide is pretty good too, I have a big book, collecting all 5 of them? Its called Guide to the Universe: The Complete Book Collection, or something.
In response to Shades
Shades wrote:
I wish I read more, after I graduated from High School, I read quite a bit less. I guess working 40 horus a week dosent help either. eh.

Hehe. I work just a bit over 50 hours a week, and I'm still managing to trundle my way through the Dark Tower series. :) I'm about to start Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla. Can't wait to get into it. Just gotta find time to get to town to buy it!
Jamesburrow wrote:
The Series is the Chronicles of Narnia The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is not even book #1 (its #3, I think...)

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was the first book in The Chronicles of Narnia, at least in some prints. (Mine are on a shelf a few feet away from me.) I think I've seen some editions which changed the books around so that everything happened in chronological order. However, I think some of the books are supposed to be flashbacks or were at least written later.

As for myself, I have not really sat down and read anything more than a news article or tutorial in ages.
I love Edgar Allan Poe's short stories.
Stephen King writes great books too.
Page: 1 2 3