ID:186982

In a year i will have to make the hardest decision of all.
Join the army and live an-Okay life and be lazy or be a programmer(if hired?) with a crap load of money and be relaxed and enjoy luxury. I feel the need to join the army because i want to be important,However i fear if i have a girlfriend at the time i won't have them for long. There is also the fact of my family being worried. I really cannot decide and need some persuasive views on either-side to help me make my decision on life after highschool. Put yourself in my shoes and what would you choose and why?

~>Jiskuha
Everyone is making these really pointless posts about pointless things like life decisions. I thought I wanted to join the army when I was 16, and I didn't consult anyone. I just followed the path as it was laid out in front of me, and now I'm the IT Support Technician for a Law firm earning £15,000 per year, and I'm getting my company run for free within that company also.

This isn't a flame or anything of the sort, but there's no point in asking others for help, you just need to go off on your own and do your own thing.
It seems like programming would be the way to go, but that is only my decision. As you already know, the real decision is really up to you. Even in your post you talked about how much better programming would be for you and how bad joining the army would be for you. So, you pretty much made your decision. If you want to join the army to be important, and that is the only reason, then do not join. You are risking your life to be "important". Do not worry about being important, worry about what you really want to do in life and what would make you enjoy your life.

Being important will not make you happy, it will only make you want to be more important and work harder for something you do not wish to do, so scratch that off of your list. So, to sum it all up, be a programmer (if being a programmer does not work out for you, then you can join the army. If you join the army first, you probably will not have much of a chance of being a good programmer hence you will be very rusty on programming and probably injured and cannot program).
In response to AZA
AZA wrote:
Everyone is making these really pointless posts about pointless things like life decisions. I thought I wanted to join the army when I was 16, and I didn't consult anyone. I just followed the path as it was laid out in front of me, and now I'm the IT Support Technician for a Law firm earning £15,000 per year, and I'm getting my company run for free within that company also.

This isn't a flame or anything of the sort, but there's no point in asking others for help, you just need to go off on your own and do your own thing.

because, you know, what works for one person would always work for everyone else.
In response to OneFishDown
Well, I do get tired of seeing this crap. Besides, why base your big decision based on what WE have to say? ;-) You should go for what YOU think is best.
Just talk about it with the people you care about the most... Which obviously isn't us.
One thing to think about is that IT isn't the pot of gold a lot of people seem to think it is.
Go talk to some professional programmers. They'll tell you that it's not the 'free money for sitting infront of a computer all day' job that you think it is.
In response to DarkView
One thing to think about is that IT isn't the pot of gold a lot of people seem to think it is.
Go talk to some professional programmers. They'll tell you that it's not the 'free money for sitting infront of a computer all day' job that you think it is.

Heh especially in game development from what I've heard. Game developers tend to have to work harder and have frequent crunch periods and make less than other types of software engineers :P.
In response to Theodis
Theodis wrote:
Heh especially in game development from what I've heard. Game developers tend to have to work harder and have frequent crunch periods and make less than other types of software engineers :P.

But on the other hand, do you really want to spend half your working life writing software to interface with corporate databases?

Nah, didn't think so. =D
In response to Kunark
Kunark wrote:
Just talk about it with the people you care about the most... Which obviously isn't us.

I do think of this community as family(Sorta). I was wondering what your views where on the subject :).

~>Jiskuha
or be a programmer(if hired?) with a crap load of money and be relaxed and enjoy luxury.

AH HA HA HA HA HA ha ha ha ha haaaaa!

Here is a riddle for you:

What do air travel and software development have in common?

Both consist of hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror.
In response to Gughunter
Gughunter wrote:
hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror.

Crunch time at the old job, is it?
PROGRAMMER!!!
In response to Theodis
Yeah, but game developers get to spend their free time playing games that have not yet been released. Of course, thats not really free time since you'll probably be "testing" the game, but, hey, you'll get payed to play!
In response to Jiskuha
Jiskuha wrote:
I do think of this community as family(Sorta). I was wondering what your views where on the subject :).

So do I, just the part of the family that likes insulting you everytime you mess up and every time you do something good they'll probably take it without giving you any credit.
Jiskuha wrote:
Join the army and live an-Okay life and be lazy

I won't go into the nonsense about programming being easy and raking in money, since others already have.

Join the army and be lazy? If you did that, you wouldn't last long; as you would be kicked out. The military does not tolerate such behavior.

My family is big on the military, and I have heard about a day in the life of most of the military branches. About the easiest thing you will get to do during the day is to eat, and if that's still the same as it used to be then you have only 5 minutes to shovel in your food before going on your way to your next assignment.
In response to Jamesburrow
Yeah, but game developers get to spend their free time playing games that have not yet been released.

Free time :)? Besides the large part of the testing isn't done by the developers themselves.

Of course, thats not really free time since you'll probably be "testing" the game, but, hey, you'll get payed to play!

There is a large difference between testing a game and playing a game. Generally you have some lead tester that comes up with a testing scheme to test most related parts with the least amount of effort. The testers then just follow a specific plan rather than play the game.
The only thing waiting for you in the Army is a bullet in the ass.
In response to Theodis
Still, at least you'll have access to un-released games. And of course you have free time, I'll just called that special time Midnight and the special day Sunday. Both are nothing but free time, so Yay for the Games!
I fail to see how joining the army would make you important. If you want to actually work towards furthering your country in a military position, join the army. If you want to go down the road of a programmer and face all the crap that you are going to have to face, then go down that road. Nothing is easy, being in the army wont make you all that important unless you somehow become a hero, and being a programmer wont make you a lot of money unless you are part of a big time team that pumps out money making games.
Page: 1 2