ID:187196

Here's a few basic tutorials on how to install BYOND and DMCGI on a Linux computer, it includes methods for normal users, and computer administrators.

For Administrators

Firstly, we'll go over getting everything running in a 'superuser' environment, this means as the 'root' user.

Step 1: Download and extract the latest BYOND linux version.

Step 2: 'cd' to the directory where BYOND was extracted to (usually the directory you're already in's "/byond" folder)

Step 3: Run the command "make install", this will fully install BYOND for all users to use. This includes the "DreamDaemon", "DreamSeeker", and "DreamMaker" commands.

That's it for installation, DMCGI will already work on your webserver if you rename the .dmb file to a .cgi file.
But if you want to use .dmb you have to tell your webserver that .dmb needs to be read as a CGI-script.

For most Apache servers this is simply editing your httpd.conf file to include .dmb in the "CGI-Script" parameter. (Make sure you always have "ExecCGI" enabled for your CGI directories)

For Non-Administrators

Steps 1 & 2 are identical to Steps 1 & 2 from above.

Step 3: Run the command "make here" to install for your account only, follow the on-screen intructions.
(source /your/home/byond/bin/byondsetup)

Step 4: Edit your startup script to include the "source" command, the startup script is usually in your top-most directory and is usually named either ".profile" or ".bash_profile". The command "ls -a" will display what you need.

Since you usually don't have access to the actual webserver configuration you have a few more steps for DMCGI. First off, you have to change the world/executor variable of your DMCGI source to the location of DreamDaemon on your account plus "-CGI -logself" to insure it runs as CGI, and you MUST rename your .dmb file to .cgi since your server has no idea what a .dmb file is.

REMEMBER: Always chmod your CGI files to 755 to insure proper permission settings.
Can you give us a test world to run? I'm still getting a 500 internal server error, but I think it might be my program.

[edit]
I've tried everything. I tried Nadrew' way, nothing. I tried TrashHalo's way (at digitalbyond.org), nope. Went to the troubleshooter, stil nothing.

In my httpd.conf, I have:
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .dmb

//Then later down:

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"

//And a bit below

<Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
Options ExecCGI
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

I'm using TrashHalo's check .dmb. cgi-bin and check.dmb are chmodded to 755. check.dmb's owner is apache. owner group is apache as well. I'm still getting an internal server error.

Can someone please help?

Thanks!
<-Airjoe->
In response to Airjoe
Are normal .cgi programs executing? A simple test world program could be as follows:

CGI
Topic()
usr << browse("<HTML><BODY>Hello World!</BODY></HTML>")

With Dantom.CGI included, of course.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Are normal .cgi programs executing?
Uh, dunno. I don't have any normal .cgi programs >_>

A simple test world program could be as follows:
> CGI
> Topic()
> usr << browse("<HTML><BODY>Hello World!</BODY></HTML>")
>

With Dantom.CGI included, of course.

I'll try that in a second.
In response to Airjoe
There are downloadable Perl-based CGI-scripts all over the 'net, all you gotta do is search for them.
Nadrew wrote:
Here's a few basic tutorials on how to install BYOND and DMCGI on a Linux computer, it includes methods for normal users, and computer administrators.

For Administrators

Firstly, we'll go over getting everything running in a 'superuser' environment, this means as the 'root' user.

Step 1: Download and extract the latest BYOND linux version.

Step 2: 'cd' to the directory where BYOND was extracted to (usually the directory you're already in's "/byond" folder)

Step 3: Run the command "make install", this will fully install BYOND for all users to use. This includes the "DreamDaemon", "DreamSeeker", and "DreamMaker" commands.

That's it for installation, DMCGI will already work on your webserver if you rename the .dmb file to a .cgi file.
But if you want to use .dmb you have to tell your webserver that .dmb needs to be read as a CGI-script.

For most Apache servers this is simply editing your httpd.conf file to include .dmb in the "CGI-Script" parameter. (Make sure you always have "ExecCGI" enabled for your CGI directories)

For Non-Administrators

Steps 1 & 2 are identical to Steps 1 & 2 from above.

Step 3: Run the command "make here" to install for your account only, follow the on-screen intructions.
(source /your/home/byond/bin/byondsetup)

Step 4: Edit your startup script to include the "source" command, the startup script is usually in your top-most directory and is usually named either ".profile" or ".bash_profile". The command "ls -a" will display what you need.

Since you usually don't have access to the actual webserver configuration you have a few more steps for DMCGI. First off, you have to change the world/executor variable of your DMCGI source to the location of DreamDaemon on your account plus "-CGI -logself" to insure it runs as CGI, and you MUST rename your .dmb file to .cgi since your server has no idea what a .dmb file is.

I did an addon to fix the changing to cgi part.
I put in the following line in my httpd.conf:

#AddHandler cgi-script .cgi