In response to Elation
What's CPU? Do you mean Exadv1's console? (it is actually caleld console)
In response to GoodDoggyTreat
Oh, er, no. I think it's something inspired by "Console", but it's different.

Ask Pheonix man or Gamesabre, if you want any more details. I don't know any more, but trust me, it's great!
In response to DarkView
DarkView wrote:
Lummox JR's multiplatform map demo was pretty complex as well.

Aye, that's what I'd call the most complex thing I've done with BYOND--even including Incursion and DmiFonts. (And that's considering that Incursion is responsible for many feature additions to BYOND. It started out as a proof-of-concept that was done during a beta release cycle, so it spurred a lot of changes. Of course, DDT's Living & Dead had a lot to do with that too.)

I haven't yet made a game out of that multiplatform demo, and the main reason is that I haven't figured out how to resolve some view() issues. If I go for anything remotely realistic, there's just no way to implement it. If I go for strict overhead view with everything visible, then it's important to be able to see your own character at all times.

Another big reason is that I haven't been able to produce any icons of the sort I'd want for the game I had in mind. I was trying to make some kind of overhead-view soldier icon, and just kept failing badly at it. The Zentans in Lode Wars look pretty close to what I was considering.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
What is a multiplatform map demo? What did it look like/do?
Well for me, the most advanced thing that I actually did was This. But that isn't saying a lot since it is very bugged and not finished -_-. I also know that I could do better, but I lose interest fast and creating games is more fun that coming up with an idea for a library.
In response to SSJ Radditz
SSJ Radditz wrote:
I just checked out this G-Text and I'm not impressed. I did this same thing a very very long time ago, as have many other people. I'm sure the programming for G-Text is just an edit of some on-screen text proc they found floating around.
I like your thinking, it's easy,looks easy so must be stolen!

<sarcasm> Let me tell you how i stealzordz it. I found a website, DOWNLOADED IT then i UPLOADED IT claiming it AS MY OWN. YAY !</sarcasm>

~>Jiskuha
In response to Theodis
Theodis wrote:
Yeah A* is a lot simpler than in initially sounds. My first A* pathfinder implementation took roughly half an hour to do.

Mine took me about fortyfive minutes because I was testing a new learning technique.
It sounds complex even when you're learning it, but when you put it into practice it feels like something you've known all your life.
In response to Jiskuha
Believe it or not, other people in this community have programmed on-screen text libs and demos. Does this shock you? I guess it does.
In response to DarkView
DarkView wrote:
Mine took me about fortyfive minutes because I was testing a new learning technique.
It sounds complex even when you're learning it, but when you put it into practice it feels like something you've known all your life.

I made one today, and persoanlly, I was just happy to find a use for that if(src.dir&(src.dir-1)) (returns true if src is facing diagonally). Thanks for the link! =)
SSJ Radditz wrote:
Believe it or not, other people in this community have programmed on-screen text libs and demos. Does this shock you? I guess it does.

I guess you did not catch my sarcasm or is all that DBZ material stuck in it's place :). All of my demo's are ones that i created,i am shocked as a matter of fact that you claim because its been done before its stolen.

~>Jiskuha
In response to Jiskuha
Oh yes, begin insulting me due to my key being DBZ-related, you're so mature. Haha. No, seriously though, there have been other demos similar to what you have released that are all pretty much the same program with a new hub entry. I said what I ddi based on that fact. Maybe I shouldn't have assumed you didn't create it all yourself, as I don't even know who you are, but I was simply implying that due to what it is, there is a chance it isn't original.
A smart man once said do your research (or homework) before you start a debate. I am not looking for an argument.

~>Jiskuha
In response to Jiskuha
...And who was this smart man? O.o

Oh, and has anyone tried looking up that equipment demo I was talking about?
SSJ Radditz wrote:

I can't find it...*sniffle*. =/

Also, Jiskuha -- Just let it be...we don't want flamewars...:(
In response to Jon88
Jon88 wrote:
What is a multiplatform map demo? What did it look like/do?

It's called TurfLayers, and was (is?) intended to be a library at some point. The main problem I've had aside from the game-specific issues I mentioned is that I need to come up with a good set of utility routines to set up a map from a file, and set icons as needed.

The demo itself had smiley icons for all the mobs. It featured a raised platform area around the edges of the map, with stairs down into the center, while in the center there were two bridges that crossed over each other at different levels. In this demo, you could cross harmlessly over another mob who was standing on a different level.

Lummox JR
SSJ Radditz wrote:

mine? maybe i'll make it again some time.
In response to Lummox JR
That sounds seriously cool. Would you be able to do things like have some people walking on roofs, while other people are walking around inside the house? (Basically the same as you described, except that the roofs and the people on them are not visible to the people inside the house - and vice versa.)

I would pay for a library that did that semi-seamlessly. And I don't just mean "if it was on BYONDscape"; I'd pay for just that library, without gaining access to other libraries. =)
In response to Lummox JR
That was one of the features I was going to have for one of my games. Until the game died. Stupid game.
Anyway, the most complex thing I've done is probablary Maestro, but on reflection, even that wasn't particularly complex, seeing as the parser took me about a week to write, then recently I wrote a MUD parser in about 30 mins.
In response to OneFishDown
That'd be nice, it was quite a nice demo and I wouldn't mind seeing how you did it.
I wouldn't mind seeing how you did it.

You obviously aren't familiar with what OFD considers a demo :P.
Page: 1 2 3