ID:1468778

(See the best response by Ter13.)
Is there a way to override list.Add() to add some custom behavior to it?

And as a side question, if I do list+=something, will that still call list.Add() like list.Add(something) would?
No. You'll have to make your own global proc, or something.

What is the custom behavior you want?
Best response
No.

You are probably going to want to wrap a list in a datum to handle this kind of behavior:

collection
var/list/data = list()
proc
Add(item)
data += item
Remove(item)
return data.Remove(item)
Index(pos)
return data[pos]

Unfortunately, this will not permit you to use operators with the collection anymore, so you should use collection.data directly if you have a lot of non-specialized transactions, otherwise you are going to see a speed hit compared to using a normal list.

This is good for things like keeping a list ordered.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
No. You'll have to make your own global proc, or something.

What is the custom behavior you want?

To remove all null references in the list from atoms that have ceased to exist
Someone in the other thread took the time to give you a link that shows you how to do this:

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1468645#comment8253922
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Someone in the other thread took the time to give you a link that shows you how to do this:

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1468645#comment8253922

Yes and I tried this:

datum/Del()
for(var/list/L) L-=src
return ..()

But it shoots world.cpu to like 200% so it is unusable.

Not to talk badly about the dead, but if Falacy wrote it... Probably best to ignore it. Falacy is partially to blame for a large number of the bad habits floating about here.

Use Lummox's example from that thread, not Falacy's.
I would but I don't understand where or in what context he is saying to use it.
Well, it's not going to happen automatically. With any kind of ease. You are going to need to set up Lummox's approach in some type of a list cleaning function, and you are going to want to call that before you interact with the list after a specified delay.

The cleanest approach I can think of to automatically handle this behavior would involve circular references, which are probably a bad idea as they can cause the garbage collector to fail.