ID:1509721

Not Feasible
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
I want to overlay an output control over my map control, so that a player can see chat messages overlaying the map, but I want the output control's background to be fully transparent so as not to obstruct the player's view of the map, but the text itself has no transparency at all and is fully visible.

Like most MMORPGs have.

Can you make this possible?
Nadrew resolved issue (Not Feasible)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

What about this picture then? That's an output control with a transparent background. Seems to work to me.

Except for I can't scroll thru the text with the mouse wheel. Couldn't you guys fix that and it'd be fine?
That's a pane over the map using the transparency color, like I said in the other topic, that's the only way to do it and it doesn't work on all systems nor does it allow your game to run in hardware rendering mode, increasing overhead dramatically for most clients.

With how Windows works I don't think we're going to be seeing any proper support for this anytime soon.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
nor does it allow your game to run in hardware rendering mode, increasing overhead dramatically for most clients.

That's no longer the case.
In response to Murrawhip
Murrawhip wrote:
Nadrew wrote:
nor does it allow your game to run in hardware rendering mode, increasing overhead dramatically for most clients.

That's no longer the case.

Nice, missed that. Still not a 100% solution (still causes the fallback on certain setups), and not much control over it, but it's something! Still don't think it's gonna get much better than it is with how things work.

Well would it be worth suggesting a new built-in feature that has the same functionality as an output control but is meant to be drawn onto the map itself?

It wouldn't be part of the interface system at all, I guess, but would act like an output
Out of curiosity, is there any way to do this with a browser? I.E: Having a transparent background?
In response to Ter13
I believe browser controls are utterly incapable of having transparent backgrounds; frames are a different story. Like with the output workaround though, it'd have to be in its own window anyway.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Out of curiosity, is there any way to do this with a browser? I.E: Having a transparent background?

I may misunderstand but just in case. You have to deal with the fall through transparency issues still although I haven't tested it after recent changes. In some cases, it can really work to your advantage for some cool interfaces.

This interface uses multiple browser controls for the scroll and guillotine. Notice the transparency in the map as well. The smaller image at bottom right shows the state of the UI when the player minimizes the scroll and guillotine by clicking on them. Use javascript for those animations.