ID:1516208

Hey guys,
I just submitted a game made with BYOND for #cyberpunkjam of March 2014, under the name MistaLemur.

I collaborated with Makeii, Mechanios, and Gooseheaded on this project.

You can find the link to the download here:
http://mistalemur.itch.io/renegade

And you can find more information about the cyberpunkjam here:
http://itch.io/jam/cyberpunk-jam

There's been more than 250 submitted entries thus far! Most of them were made with fancier tools.

When voting starts (March 12th), feel free to try out my entry. You should totally vote for it :)
Good name, good game.
Looks like BYOND still does that think where it pokes your firewall despite being an offline game. I can only wonder what non-BYONDers think when they launch that EXE.

Anyway, this seems like a super cool game you could expand on. I didn't get a chance to finish it, but if you added some checkpoints and whatnot I'd take another whack at it. Here's some feedback, I mostly just took notes while playing it.

Suggestions:
- Clicking on the credits screen should go back to the title screen.
- Add some checkpoints, especially one after the introduction. I certainly saw it quite a few times.
- Add a segment where you have to heal yourself early in the game so players know what health packs are.
- Falling on a guard's head should knock them down/out.
- You should be able to knock out guards by hitting them from behind when they haven't seen you. Some kind of contextual melee attack which replaces the shoot button when you're close enough.
- When climbing a ladder, the moment you touch the floor you should step off the ladder and be able to walk normally.
- It would be nice if crouching affected the NPC's aiming, maybe making them occasionally shoot over you.
- Clicking on an item in the inventory wheel should equip/use it. I was actually stumped for a while until figuring out I had to press E.
- Add some sort of visual feedback to the inventory wheel when an item has been equipped/used.
- Jumping while next to a crate should cause the player to vault over it.

Bugs:
- This guard seemed to randomly spot me or could see my foot sticking out from the scaffold.
- You can't pick up items if they fall on a door.
- You can close a door on top of yourself. Might want to slide the player out of the way when it's closing since you can still shoot while the door is protecting you.
- You shouldn't be able to wall slide on such tiny segments of wall. Wall sliding also doesn't stop when your feet touch some scaffolding.
- Crouching past a ladder will make the player climb it.
- Fix yo map.

Nitpicks:
- I didn't like how the dialog box would open over and over again with the same guy talking.
- Add a "sliding" frame for when you stop running. Maybe add some dust effects when you're running really fast then stop.
- There is no walking animation when crouching!
- You can stand on top of a ladder when it's not coming up to a platform like the ladder to the right in that screenshot.
- The player looks weird when wall sliding a bit higher than the ledge they're about to grab onto.
- Lock the player's sprite onto the ladder so this doesn't happen.
- Add a jump-to-run animation.
- Stop the player's run animation when a dialog screen pops up. NPC's in the background also appear to suffer from this problem.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
Looks like BYOND still does that think where it pokes your firewall despite being an offline game. I can only wonder what non-BYONDers think when they launch that EXE.

It probably happens when it contacts the hub. We could add a mode to disable this.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
It probably happens when it contacts the hub. We could add a mode to disable this.

That would be nice for off-site distribution. It's not exactly a critical issue, but it's something to consider for people not familiar with BYOND.
Hmm, although I just realized that the standalone does some stuff with the hub to validate the key and so forth. Probably we should just get rid of this for games with no multiplayer. Well, we'll see what it can do. It's not even clear to me when windows puts this message up.. is it when a network call is made, or are they actually scanning the exe ahead of time?
Cool game, I got to beat it :), by the way I agree with all of SuperAntx's suggestions.

Best part
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:

Anyway, this seems like a super cool game you could expand on. I didn't get a chance to finish it, but if you added some checkpoints and whatnot I'd take another whack at it.

Not only that, the EXE has set off Avast! for a few of my testers. Pretty suspicious.

The original game design was much more ambitious and expansive, but a bunch of problems cropped up and we weren't able to fulfill it. It was supposed to be an action RPG with savepoints.

Whether or not we continue to work on this game depends upon what the reaction from the gamejam's community is, and thus far, there's been roughly 90 views and 45 downloads but zero votes, zero ratings, and zero comments.
I have the suspicion that something is still going wrong with the exe. I will probably have to wait until tomorrow before I can find out for certain though.
The exe worked fine for me, but obviously if you hear of problems let us know asap. If you can get any information regarding the virus alerts, we can see what we can do about that.
I like most of the presentation, but it would be nice if the character controls were a bit tighter. Right now it feels like the physics are a tad too slidey. Also, wall jumping is a lot more difficult than it should be, the gunshots/damage noise were also very annoying to listen to, and the respawns took *freaking* forever, which isn't very user friendly or fun.

The combat wasn't fun either. I kind of just stood there and shot at the enemy until it was dead. More gratification for the user would be nice to see, because it felt like my gun wasn't really doing anything until the enemy died.
Thanks for playing Kwark.
Wall Jumping is actually very easy, if you hold the spacebar key.

As far as combat goes:
Bullets used to create more blood particles, but I reduced the number before release because of certain limitations. I would have added double the number of blood particles if it weren't for these limitations.

The original design for combat was a bit more extensive. I personally think that just sitting there and shooting at an enemy is pretty boring because it just involves clicking a bunch and doesn't really introduce many options or interesting decisions for the player. Originally I was going to have grenades (for forcing enemies to abandon their positions, for stunning some enemies, for blocking line of sight for some enemies, for blinding some enemies, for jamming some enemies), and I was going to add some short stun time for enemies (like a flinching animation) for taking damage from certain weapons. With these additional options for the player, I could have designed some more otherwise unfair encounters but have given the tools for the player to change the parameters of the encounters to make it more fair. Hopefully the use of these additional tools before and during combat would make the combat interesting and fun. However, none of it made the cut...

I had to cut back on the original design because of some time management problems with the team, unfortunately.

Also it seems like for some reason, it's not intuitive for a lot of players to use the dense crates for cover. You can crouch behind them, and they can block line of sight and bullets. They tend to block bullets better than line of sight though.
Results for the Jam came in.
My entry had a total of 576 views and 175 downloads (15 of which were the BYOND dmb and rsc, which, to me, correlates to the number of people who had problems with the standalone). I had a lot of difficulty with finding someone who had problems with the standalone who was also willing to stay in touch with me to troubleshoot their issues.

Here's how my entry did, out of ~265 total entries.

I'm pretty disappointed with my results. I feel like I could have done much better in many aspects.

Better luck next time I suppose.

Found two bugs within the first 3 minutes of playing the entry that got first place. Who judges these games again?
24 of 264 isn't bad.

Sorry, I forgot to vote.
@Darke, usually antiviruses will complain about EXEs from unknown sources. It does it with BlitzMax too.