In response to Chiwy8
This was asked recently, so I'll just link to this thread, which summarizes what's happened.
Awesome! How's the community doing? Hopefully we keep making that 5k goal every month. And I definitely hope people aren't leaving.
In response to Chiwy8
Chiwy8 wrote:
Hopefully we keep making that 5k goal every month. And I definitely hope people aren't leaving.

lol.
In response to Chiwy8
Chiwy8 wrote:
Awesome! How's the community doing? Hopefully we keep making that 5k goal every month. And I definitely hope people aren't leaving.

It's been more like 3k lately. And I have no doubt that some people are indeed leaving, as they always are...
I haven't been able to contribute as much as I would have liked in recent months, despite a lot of my wishes being fulfilled. <3 Tom, Lummox, errbody. Hope that helps lessen the shortfall a bit.
Has BYOND considered implementing Bitcoin yet(Even if they didn't you could probably set it up on a webserver and use BYOND to send/receive data about payments). I think this would be a fun option for accepting donations/pay-per-extra games, sure bitcoin might have taken a hit lately, but it's still valued at over 500 dollars a coin, and to top that off there are systems where you can have it instantly turn it to cash so you don't have to deal with the volatility. I think it would be cool. Not to mention micro crowd sourcing would be possible everyone chips in a few free satoshi's(basically less than a penny but adds up quick if you get enough people doing it) a month and it adds up to a shit ton of money in the long haul. Just an idea.
Tom commented on that in this very thread.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Tom commented on that in this very thread.

What was said was :

MagicMountain wrote:

Vehcklox wrote:

putting a bitcoin miner into BYOND

Please never do this. I'll watch ads all day if that's what it takes. You can tattoo them to my eyelids.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I just can't support something when I don't fathom how it contributes to society at all.

This does not answer my question, also mining bitcons has nothing to do with accepting them as payment which as I stated you can implement a system just like Tigerdirect.com or Overstock.com have setup where it turns the bitcoins into dollars instantly so you don't have to wait out volatility. Bitcoin mining = using peoples CPUs/GPUs to create new bitcoins. Also as for what it contributes to society, it gives people a way to escape greedy corrupt corporations like banks, basically a payment system without borders. Anyone anywhere in the world can accept bitcoins as payment.
In response to Detedagowa
I'd assume that it comes down to the fact that implementing support would be borderline useless, even in the long run.
In response to Vrocaan
Vrocaan wrote:
I'd assume that it comes down to the fact that implementing support would be borderline useless, even in the long run.

How do you figure? Another useful thing it does is enables micro crowd funding. People can get a few pennies worth of free bitcoins each hour and contribute them, basically it all adds up in the long run assuming they promoted it enough, hell they could even do something like "Once you've contributed enough bitcoins to us you get a free month of membership" to sweeten the pot.

Edit: At the time of writing this edit, 1 bitcoin is worth exactly 500 USD http://preev.com/, I think turning down this method of funding is leaving money on the table.
$496.50 now - prices have been dropping on those fast of late. bitcoin's dying out and you want to start using it now?
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
$496.50 now - prices have been dropping on those fast of late. bitcoin's dying out and you want to start using it now?

I've already answered that problem! I said you can turn it to cash immediately to avoid that issue. Also it's not dying! 500ish dollars a coin is dead? No, also it's done this before the price has pretty much crashed like this 4 times in the past, each time it came back stronger than ever, whatever doesn't kill bitcoin completely only makes it stronger.
$480.80
I think the lack of regulation, and the exchanges that stole a lot of money already killed it - right?
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
@Point #3

http://signature.ncomproductions.com/

I made this quite some years ago now. It's not as pretty as I'd like but it does a good job -- I'm not much of a 'make it pretty' person.

There's a whole framework you can use if you want to fiddle with it yourself, the link is at the bottom of the page.

Kind of a weird form of necroposting here, but I really like this. It even grabbed my member picture even though I haven't had money to renew my subscription!
In response to Pirion
Pirion wrote:
I think the lack of regulation, and the exchanges that stole a lot of money already killed it - right?

That exchange "found" 200k of those coins, irony was that it was on one of their own wallets that they no longer used so it looks kinda fishy.
Maybe it isn't anything other than the quality of games that is killing BYOND. I mean, the only games alive are ones with code that hasn't REALLY been updated since 2003.
NNAAAAHH wrote:

Ahahah! You're hilarious. Bitcoin isn't dying out, and if ever, won't for a very long time. Bitcoin has been around for four plus years, and in the last year has gained more value than you could ever fathom. The bitcoin has been stabley fluctuating around the $500 point for months and if you want to ignore something as powerful as the bitcoin for helping BYOND in growth, then you are genuinely ignorant. If BYOND were to start accepting Bitcoin, I alone would be able to pump hundreds of dollars into the community a month. Bitcoin is a traded commodity just like stocks, and with the way Bitcoin is going it's quickly becoming more popular than trading stocks, too.

Detedagowa wrote:
Pirion wrote:

That exchange "found" 200k of those coins, irony was that it was on one of their own wallets that they no longer used so it looks kinda fishy.

Yes, one exchange tried stealing 200k Bitcoin from it's members, but anyone knowledgeable in cryptocurrencies would tell you never to leave your coins in an exchange anyways. Before they start truly scamming their members, I did thousands of dollars worth of exchanges through Mt Gox, and when they shut down you know how much my end loss was? $42.96 at current Bitcoin value. Not that much considering the fact that through my time there, I easily exchanged into the five digits worth there. Yea, one person did steal a lot from people trusting him, but that's happened with stocks and people still trade them. The Bitcoin is something BYOND needs to consider implementing, as that alone could boost BYOND up a lot. With it's non-reversible, non-centralized nature, donations and payments made in Bitcoin would cost BYOND multiple times less to receive, and would remove any risk of chargebacks by little kiddies parents.

I realize I haven't been around in a while, but I've been more active online than I ever was before during my time on BYOND and I've picked up a lot of knowledge into cryptocurrencies and online consumerism. There are so many untapped resources BYOND has that a lot of people here are too blind to look into taking advantage of.

Also, Tom, Softlayer is ripping you off. Their cheapest two-CPU server has 12GB of RAM, and cost $260 a month. For $270 a month one could get a dual eight core (Sixteen cores, thirty-two threads) CPU server with 128GBs of RAM from OVH. Not only that, OVH has a much more massive network than SoftLayer, and their DDoS protection could take on attacks 24/7 and not skip a beat.
@Magicman

Whether its dying or not, bitcoin is a ponzi-scheme.

Only the earliest of investors really benefit from it, and it has been highly criticized for its algorithms hence why competitive currencies have come out of the years that have "improved" on their idea by reworking those algorithms.

"Ponzi scheme" is a bit harsh, although Bitcoin shares many characteristics of one.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 33 34 35 36