In response to Aaiko
Aaiko wrote:
I started working on some stuff to show what I mean by adding color. It's still a work in progress, and while the colors might not be the right ones, it does show that minor things can have a major impact.

http://iccusion.com/byond/

Lots of graphics are missing, but I'll get them copied over and do more work on it. The main things changed so far are the post colors and the centered author name and picture.

I actually don't like this better than the current site. The orange is too intrusive. The current look could use some spicing but it's quite good.
In response to Audeuro
Audeuro wrote:
I'd like to point out to the people freaking out about BYOND upping their subscription rates and whatnot that it's entirely possible to replace BYOND's hub with your own methods.

You have apparently not read all of the posts in this thread ;p

Made some changes to the website mockup and got all the graphics working. Still a work in progress.

If I get time, I'll work on a mockup of a better game listing as well, because what you got is horrid, sorry to say. Three columns floating in mid air with no visual way of telling them apart (three column layouts are just hard to get right in general and aren't normally a good idea) and then more white on white backgrounds.
In response to Aaiko
Aaiko wrote:
Made some changes to the website mockup and got all the graphics working. Still a work in progress.

If I get time, I'll work on a mockup of a better game listing as well, because what you got is horrid, sorry to say. Three columns floating in mid air with no visual way of telling them apart (three column layouts are just hard to get right in general and aren't normally a good idea) and then more white on white backgrounds.

I like it! It's much more better then the bland and bright all white we have now.
That is extremely fancy and a lot easier on the eyes since it isn't white on white on white.
In response to Airjoe
Airjoe wrote:
You have apparently not read all of the posts in this thread ;p

There's more to the post than just that section you quoted.
I love this mockup. Tom, hire this man!
Also, I'd love to do away with the fixed-margin's and perhaps add a little bit more to the top...
In response to Flame Sage
Flame Sage wrote:
I love this mockup. Tom, hire this man!

Hah, I agree. BYOND could definitely could use someone to help with the layout.

The programmer art and whatnot is a bit painful to look at.
Sorry Tom .. You have to admit it is a lot better...
In response to Aaiko
While I admit it's much easier on the eyes, I still prefer the current color scheme. Then again, I hated the orange/blue color scheme we used to have! Perhaps it'd be possible to implement some sort of skin selector? I know a lot of sites that utilize one, but I'm not exactly sure whether that would work well with BYOND.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:

Nothing to be sorry about! I am all for improving the layout or color-scheme. It's just a matter of coming to a good consensus. The thing about white is that no one really hates it.. but no one really loves it either.
I really don't think adding themes will solve the issue at hand.
We want the layout to be consistent, not all over the place with different themes.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
A.T.H.K wrote:

Nothing to be sorry about! I am all for improving the layout or color-scheme. It's just a matter of coming to a good consensus. The thing about white is that no one really hates it.. but no one really loves it either.

You can't please everyone Tom.
Bring color (or colour if you prefer) to our world!
I'm happy as long as it is no longer white on white.
In response to Aaiko
Aaiko wrote:

I like this a great deal, especially the nifty effects you got with the page numbers there. I'm not 100% on the colors, although that's mostly because the main gray matches the gray we use for the side space beyond the fixed-width layout, so maybe it's just a matter of changing the color there.
I think the only problem with Aaiko's layout is the orange post header. It should only be reserved for unread posts, but even then it should probably be subdued a bit. The rest is solid.

What's important is the post boxes are filled with color which pop them out from the background. It also has the added benefit of separating the posts so they don't all blend into each other.
I think unread posts should be orange, and read posts should have a light blue header like we do now?
Flame Sage wrote:
I think unread posts should be orange, and read posts should have a light blue header like we do now?

+1
+++++1
Seriously, I detest the fact that this feature mysteriously disappeared. (Along with some of my posts and the organization that the previous layout had, but that's another matter.)
Flame Sage wrote:

Something like this?
Hey wow that's an awesome suggestion! :)
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8