ID:100410

Hey guys,

I was thinking of some ways to spark some activity in the community. Then I thought; what about E3 type of event for BYOND?

Basically once a year developers, any developer, can show off features for their game, show screenshots and/or videos for their upcoming games, release demos for people to try, etc. The event would go through a guild specifically for the event. Along with forums if needed.

Only games that are in the main guilds(Action, Anime, RPG, Casual, and Strategy) can enter, or if they are still in development the game has to be approved by one of the contest runners.

The event would last about only a weekend; or maybe a week if it has enough stuff to show. Developers can submit blog posts to the guild, or post on the forums, and along the week blog posts will be added. Probably about 3 blog posts a day.

I think it would be great to get the developers around here to actually do something while also giving players a chance to see whats out there and whats in the making.

This is just an idea, but if anyone has any ideas to add to it or would like to pick it up and actually start the event feel free to.
It'd be great, but who's going to organize and run, and maintain, and manage this?
It's actually a great idea. I guess it'll spark some activity if the event becomes well known, it'd be a great tool to promote your game, etc.

I'd like to help out :)
I like that, This would definitely be a great way to get some spotlight on other games throughout the site, and see what the devs are up to.
DivineTraveller wrote:
It'd be great, but who's going to organize and run, and maintain, and manage this?

I'm not sure. I guess one could put together a team and divide up who runs what.
Wow, just 2 weeks ago I had came up with the same idea but it was for BYOND Anime Specifically. I actually had came up with a draft of possible things to do etc. Add me on MSN if you wanna discuss it further.
Great idea.
:O That sounds interesting.
What.
Hrmm, I didn't know there was enough activity on BYOND in a year to warrant something like this. =P

I don't really like the idea, I fear it may mean people saving up their news all year just so they have something meaty for the Be3
Vermolius wrote:
Hrmm, I didn't know there was enough activity on BYOND in a year to warrant something like this. =P

I don't really like the idea, I fear it may mean people saving up their news all year just so they have something meaty for the Be3

It doesn't have to be a yearly event, it can be monthly, or every 2 months, etc. :/
Haywire wrote:
Vermolius wrote:

It doesn't have to be a yearly event, it can be monthly, or every 2 months, etc. :/

Doing it too often means people might as well just use their own development blog, and doing it too scarcely would mean it's forgotten. Six months might be a good spot to sit with that.
DivineTraveller wrote:
Haywire wrote:
Vermolius wrote:

Doing it too often means people might as well just use their own development blog, and doing it too scarcely would mean it's forgotten. Six months might be a good spot to sit with that.

Yeah, a well balanced time period would make quite the difference to how many people take part, and six months sounds too long to me personally, around 2-3 month sounds right, because remember, in that time period in which you get to develop, it would be awfully quiet and that's sort of defeating the purpose of having this event as this event is here to "spark some activity in the community"...
I think that the big problem here is that there aren't enough active and talented developers working on a project.

Something like this would be great if developers were having problems with advertising to players, but I don't think that's the case.
Haywire wrote:
DivineTraveller wrote:
Haywire wrote:
Vermolius wrote:

Yeah, a well balanced time period would make quite the difference to how many people take part, and six months sounds too long to me personally, around 2-3 month sounds right, because remember, in that time period in which you get to develop, it would be awfully quiet and that's sort of defeating the purpose of having this event as this event is here to "spark some activity in the community"...

Yes, but you have to consider not everyone will get a lot done in 2-3 months, sometimes life gets in the way and that person might only have 2-4 hours/week max to do anything, worst case scenario, and not have anything presentable in 2-3 months. 6 months also accounts for summer/winter breaks in schooling for school students, assuming you do it in june and december.
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
I think that the big problem here is that there aren't enough active and talented developers working on a project.

Something like this would be great if developers were having problems with advertising to players, but I don't think that's the case.

Agreed. I think that it's good to get people talking about other people's projects, that really builds the community. I can talk about my projects and you can talk about yours, but when we talk about each other's projects that's when the sense of community comes in (and the benefits of having the community).

The tools are already in place to do this. People can use their own blogs to give status updates about their games development and can make better use of BYOND Journalism to get the word out about games that might not have been noticed.
Very, Very interesting.
Mr. Pessimism called, he wants to know how you plan on forcing people to do this.

There's already all the necessary tools for developers to post screenshots, give information on updates, as well as information on their game in general. Forums are already provided free to members. All this is, is you saying "Hey, let's just take everything that the banner guilds have been encouraging the users to do for the last 5 years, and try to get them to do it all in one place, thus removing the little activity that the banner guilds get already."

You run your event, you get F0lak and Silkwizard from BYOND RPG. Silkwizard already posts development blogs on a regular basis on his own website, thus your event is useless to him. F0lak posts his updates on BYOND RPG, anything he posts at your event directly removes activity from the banner guild, or is just reposted and useless because people already know it.
Yeh that sounds really great. I had an idea like that too. I'm pretty good at video editing and I think it would be a great idea to make like a youbut v log for byond like e3 where some people could do some video previews, reviews, ect. If you really want to go through with this and need help let me know. I think ur on my messenger but just in case.
[email protected]
That sound great, but we don't have much skilled devolpers, and another fact is that most of the games are EXACTLY like each other; or only have new icons-cough-dbg-cough-