ID:100439

Keywords: strategy

Poll: What type of strategy game is overall more enjoyable?

RTS 46% (7)
Turn-based Strategy 20% (3)
A combination of the two 33% (5)

Login to vote.

Like the question asks; What type of strategy game does the major BYOND populace prefer?

If you're uninformed or live under a shell, RTS stands for Real Time Strategy. A real time strategy game is twitch-based and arguably is a test of speed and how well you can manage your time efficiently rather than tactics and psychologically upper-handing your opponents. The big pro with an RTS is that it tends to be faster and you progress a round/game faster. Some people like quick, easy, fast games; personally it all comes down to how fun a game is.

A good example of an RTS would be Starcraft.

We've all played some form of turn-based strategy before probably, whether it be a game of chess or playing Ultimatum right here on BYOND. Again, arguably a turn-based strategy consists of planning ahead, using your wits and utilizing the turn-based system as a way to plan ahead and know precisely what your enemy is going to do next. You're probably already thinking what may be wrong with most turn-based games; they take too long! Depending on the amount of players, of course, turn-based strategies take too long sometimes. If you're playing a game in which everyone must take their turn separately, a complete cycle ending and starting with you may take a ridiculous amount of time.

A good example of a turn-based strategy game would be, of course, Ultimatum. It's a fun game made by Unknown Person, so check it out sometime if you haven't! (shameless ad ends here)

So what's this "combination" I have in mind? The system is fairly simple; say in a game with three players each has about 15 to 30 seconds to complete their turn before the round ends. The bigie here is that everyone's taking their turn at the same time. This way games progress much faster, but you're still able to utilize the turns to think strategically against opponents.

A good example would be PROBABLY Wargames. A game by Acebloke that's worth a good nod.
In BYOND's case, I'd say a RTS. I love playing Ultimatum ever once in awhile, but I hate how long it takes. Some times that actually turns me off from playing it. I think BYONDers would rather get right into a more fast-paced, but still strategic, game. That's just what I think, though.
Personally, I've always been drawn towards turn-based games.

That's just me, however.