ID:100689

Keywords: casual, contest, plunko

Poll: What's your Casual Competition participation like?

Working on a new solo entry 36% (7)
Working on a new team entry 10% (2)
Considering a solo entry 21% (4)
Would like to work on team 5% (1)
Not interested in genre 10% (2)
This is just a distraction from other projects 5% (1)
I'm too busy with other things 0% (0)
I have an idea but not enough skill to get it done in time 5% (1)
I have skill but no good ideas 5% (1)
The prize pool is too insignificant to motivate me 0% (0)
Lima Beans 0% (0)

Login to vote.

Renaming this post from "Plunko Updates". I will try to post regular updates on my progress although, for competitiveness sakes, I can't reveal any details which doesn't make for very exciting posts.

My goal of these posts is just to say "hey".. I'm here and working my ass off on it so I hope you are to.

I got an early prototype done and I thought it was good enough that I gave myself a green light.

I've rewritten my spec several times now and have gotten a fair chunk of the player management framework done while brainstorming.

It's amazing what a contest and time line can accomplish... simply amazing...

I ended up turning this post into a poll just to see what's out there. Some chatter can spark increased interest and may help motivate anyone in doubt.

FYI: I'll be offline for 28 hours.
ts
6 reasonably confirmed participants? Aw man. =(

--

Not interested in the genre!? It's $100.00 to do whatever you want with (though it's not enough to make me strip on cam, sorry ladies!) that should be more than enough for you to pump out a simple yet fun Casual game.

--

A distraction from other projects yes. But imagine what you can learn if you communicate with your peers in an attempt to win. I remember the GiaD contest a while back, most of the fun was sitting in Chatters conferring with other participants about their entries, ideas for games and other such conversations. You can learn to improve your current projects if you participate in the correct way. D=

--

As for skill, take the idea and run with it. Remember, I'm not judging code (I don't even require a code submission). Think of the learning possibilities, you have a set goal, work towards it. Perfection can come later. You have no idea how correct Ts is when he says "It's amazing what a contest and time line can accomplish... simply amazing..." if you are thinking along these lines.
Tiberath wrote:
6 reasonably confirmed participants? Aw man. =(

--

Not interested in the genre!? It's $100.00 ...

Even a casual game can eat up a day's work. Minimum wage, around here, for a day is something like 66USD--minus tax. Split that in 1/n where n is equivalent to the number of teammates you have. $100 isn't much money unless you're 13. Were someone like myself to enter, it wouldn't be for the prize at all, moreso the glory. That is to say, the prize is paltry in terms of how much work it would take to win. (I voted not interested in genre)
I make $650.00 a week. I'd still take part to win $100.00 simply because I enjoy programming. The $100.00 is my reward for enjoying my hobby. I was hoping lots of people would see it that way.
Tiberath wrote:
I make $650.00 a week. I'd still take part to win $100.00 simply because I enjoy programming. The $100.00 is my reward for enjoying my hobby. I was hoping lots of people would see it that way.

I'm in it for the competition, ego filler, and to get something done. I may even start hosting my own competitions with cash prize pools just to motivate myself. ;)

ts
I...I just have no motivation damn >-<, i want the money and i like competition but my attention span is SOOOOO LOOOOOOOOOW. Argh.