ID:100764

Not Feasible
Avatars are a member perk for a reason.
Applies to:Website

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
It would be great if Non-BYOND members can have Avatars aswell. A lot of other forums have it so anyone can have an avatar, no matter if you pay or not. It would be great and I'm sure people would like it.
Edit: I actually fully disagree with this.
That's one of their membership perks, and some people get memberships just to have an avatar, or just to do this, that, etc. I don't think BYOND will like taking away from their membership perks when they need the money they get.
While I agree with DivineTraveller, I also think that this could be achieved with some negotiation. If you remove the Avatar from the perks and add something else that people like, then things would balance out, and new members get an extra perk.

Hell, maybe Members could also get a larger icon. 80x80?
I disagree, unfortunately.
$18.00 is still pocket change for most people and the avatars provide more to the draw for non-members to buy or nag their parents to purchase them a membership.

It's a common marketing technique.
However, I do think there should be some sort of a 'Forum Avatar' where the forum icon is a separate icon from the member image.
If you want an avatar, you have to pay like everyone else.
"A lot of other forums have it so anyone can have an avatar."

Yet, BYOND is not just a forum! Avatars are one of the many incentives in buying a BYOND membership. I would like to believe that the staff has a hard enough time with enticing people to buy a membership. Removing a perk and providing it to the masses will not help their cause.