Suppose you have a main game window that has interface elements to show information about an enemy and you have a separate chat window the player can freely open and close. When you connect/reboot/reconnect/etc., you'd want the enemy information interface to be reset (because the reference to the enemy is lost) but the chat window to be left alone (because it wasn't part of the game that opened the window, it was simply the user's preference to have it open).
In response to Forum_account
Forum_account wrote:
If you have to set the form to match a user's settings when they connect to a server, there's no way around it.

That's not the point. The point is that, as the developer, you cannot, at any point, assume that the skin is default, including when a client first connects to the server, in single player, which is just ludicrous.

There is a difference between loading a players settings, changing the skin accordingly, and having to practically create the entire interface upon startup.
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:
That's not the point. The point is that, as the developer, you cannot, at any point, assume that the skin is default, including when a client first connects to the server, in single player, which is just ludicrous.

If your only options are to reset the whole interface or reset nothing, you're completely out of luck if you just want to reset parts of the interface (which would be a common thing to do). If you had a winreset() proc you could easily reset the entire interface if you wanted to and you'd also be able to reset parts of it. It's a better solution to this problem.
Abandoning the argument that Forum_account would like to have, I think we're missing something here.

One thing I haven't yet queried, and something I think needs to be addressed, is how does DM handle linking to alternate versions of the same game. How does it differentiate when it needs to reset the skin?
Different resource files?
That wouldn't be it because the resource is dynamic. Hell, the skin changing would change the client's resource files (I think), and dynamically generated icons would change the server's.
Couldn't you save that user preference just like the others? That would be even better, because then it would be remembered between separate play sessions instead of only reboots.

Then again, I wonder if there's some way to leverage the saved-params attribute (or something similar) to make this more data-driven.
Yeah, I've always wondered why we aren't given the option of using saved-params. This actually seems like the perfect application.
In response to Hiro the Dragon King
That wouldn't be it because the resource is dynamic. Hell, the skin changing would change the client's resource files (I think), and dynamically generated icons would change the server's.

Dynamic resources are stored in a .dyn.rsc file, I think.
Also, if the skin is changed during run time, it doesn't affect the client's .rsc, as far as I know. When you close that instance of DS, and open a new one, it's gone.

When I run one version of a game with a different interface, and then in the same DS instance, switch to another game, on the same hub path, it redraws the interface completely.
One thing I haven't yet queried, and something I think needs to be addressed, is how does DM handle linking to alternate versions of the same game. How does it differentiate when it needs to reset the skin?

What do you mean by "alternate versions"? Switching between two versions of the same game (ex: you are playing version 1 of some game and you're linked to version 2)? Or switching between two instances of the same version of a game (ex: you're connected to a version 2 server and are linked to an instance of version 2 on a different server)?

If it'd reset when you reboot (you keep the same game, same version, same host) I'd expect it to reset for any other case (where you connect to a different game/version/host).

DarkCampaigner wrote:
Couldn't you save that user preference just like the others? That would be even better, because then it would be remembered between separate play sessions instead of only reboots.

You have to save the value, load it, and re-initialize the parts of the interface that had been open. It'd be a lot easier if all you had to do was add a winreset(src, "main-window") call to your Login() proc so the main window was reset and everything else was left alone.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Right, I had forgotten about the .dyn. My bad.
Forum_account wrote:
What do you mean by "alternate versions"? Switching between two versions of the same game (ex: you are playing version 1 of some game and you're linked to version 2)?

Well, yes. For example, playing on version 2.1 and linking to version 2.0 or 2.2.

Or switching between two instances of the same version of a game (ex: you're connected to a version 2 server and are linked to an instance of version 2 on a different server)?

I think that reading what you had written would have cleared up any need for actually asking.

If it'd reset when you reboot (you keep the same game, same version, same host) I'd expect it to reset for any other case (where you connect to a different game/version/host).

Except that, at the moment, it doesn't even reset when you reboot.
In response to Hiro the Dragon King
Forum_account wrote:
Or switching between two instances of the same version of a game (ex: you're connected to a version 2 server and are linked to an instance of version 2 on a different server)?

I think that reading what you had written would have cleared up any need for actually asking.

It wasn't clear what you meant by "alternate version" (it's still not clear because what you quoted there is not what you meant by it). I was just asking you to clarify, there's no need to get upset.

Except that, at the moment, it doesn't even reset when you reboot.

Right, but we can assume it would because that's the feature that's being requested =)
While it may not have been clear to you originally, (I was indeed trying to ruffle your feathers) how is it "still not clear"? I quote the part where you quoted myself as saying "alternate versions" and then asked about servers using the "same version". And why must you believe that I am upset?

Right, but we can assume it would because that's the feature that's being requested =)

Right, but you seemed to have been comparing something that we are requesting to happen with something that does happen that we are asking about now.
Is it possible to still retain a smooth transition between worlds while at the same time removing elements that were generated at runtime?
In response to JBoer
JBoer wrote:
Is it possible to still retain a smooth transition between worlds while at the same time removing elements that were generated at runtime?

I'm not sure I understand your question. That would depend largely on the game, so... for some? If the game is set up to link() the player from mid-game to mid-game, maybe not. But if the game state differs on either side of the link (ie one's a menu, one has you in the actual game world), you might not want the interface in the same state. We're not asking for a reversal of the feature, just a toggle for when it's not desirable.
In response to DarkCampainger
DarkCampainger wrote:
JBoer wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your question. That would depend largely on the game, so... for some? We're not asking for a reversal of the feature, just a toggle for when it's not desirable.

I'm wondering if they considered making the smooth transition and then deleting any custom elements manually. In the DreamSeeker source-code, not in a DM project. Sorry for the confusion.
In response to DarkCampainger
I think its getting way overcomplicated with trying to accomodate far too many situations..

There are two usecases:

- You want to reset the skin every time, because you don't use link() and its a bother. This is the case for f.ex. Aaiko, and what brought this request up in the first place now.
- You want to use link() to link mid-game to another instance. In this case, windows resizing, moving to a different area of the screen, etc. etc. look horrible, so you want to save the state of the interface and only do minor edits post-link(). This is the current behavior, which effectively allows for almost completely seamless link()'ing, which makes link() amazing for distributed games. Which is actually an amazingly strong, under-utilized feature of BYOND.

As such, the suggestion of being able to turn 'off' the current behavior makes perfect sense. All of this accounting for a dozen different mini-varieties of games, is feature-bloating something bad. The reason you couldn't just restore after link() was because windows were moving, all controls cleared, red text appeared in the default window, etc. The same can't be said for minor adjustments needed after a link().

Rebooting a computer before connecting to a game, etc. should very obviously not save the state. In those cases, you expect the game to load some things on startup, which is why its okay to save and load state manually there.
I've got a feature worked up here that should address this, but it does follow the all-or-nothing approach. Specifically, I've implemented this right now as a control_freak flag and it seems to be working okay there. I don't love it as a control_freak flag but it's quite convenient that way since it doesn't add another var.

To address various questions and concerns:

When you link() to another version of the game, if the skin is the same then current behavior will not reset the skin; the new flag will. If the skin is different, the skin will always fully reset.

The saved-params value won't make much of a difference here; it is only used to save params, not to decide what resets or not. With the new flag to force a reset, params in this list will still save, so you will get that benefit, but saving and reloading params isn't quite the same as a non-reset.

If a conditional approach was tried instead, I think it would have to be done with a parameter. Using a proc like winreset() wouldn't make sense to me since the behavior being handled applies to the reset/reconnect stage, and isn't something that the server would tend to want to do in the middle of a game. (The addition of a windel() function on the other hand, which is a separate request, would tend to be something you'd do as needed.)
I wasn't loving the control_freak approach I did, so instead we went with something actually closer to Forum_account's winreset() approach. However it was unnecessary to add a new proc for this; instead, just calling winset(player,null,"reset=true") will cause a skin reset to happen.
Page: 1 2 3