Forum_account wrote:
I realize you're just trolling at this point.

Why? Because I disagree with you and tend to provide solid facts for my statements?

Forum_account wrote:
It would be nice to have a slightly-more-serious discussion about topics like this

I fully agree with you on this point though.

Forum_account wrote:
you don't seem to be able to handle it.

Because I don't play the 'Hitler reference' card, or other similar 'constructive' comments like you?

If you'd pinpoint where I went to trolling before your blunt insult, I might actually manage to improve.
Forum_account wrote:
I can't possibly be copying D4RK3 54B3R because I'm copying Phong shading, which D4RK3 54B3R did not create =)

wat? Our lighting systems have nothing to do with surface normal reflections. I know Yota did something like that with normal mapped sprites an eternity ago, but it was too slow to be used in a multiplayer environment.

If anything, our shading methods are more akin to Lambert shading than Phong shading.

Not saying that you copied me, because something like what we developed has probably been a long time coming. BYOND has had the capability to do this for quite a while and sometimes I'm pretty surprised that it took so long before something like what we made popped up.

Anyway, back on topic.
People have been asking for client-side processing for a loong time, and I don't think that anything has changed that would motivate the BYOND staff to, as I understand, completely reprogram a majority of BYOND to implement it.
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
wat? Our lighting systems have nothing to do with surface normal reflections.

What we've made is essentially 2D Phong shading with no specular component. It's more like Gourad shading because we calculate light values per-tile and the icon states interpolate these values, but Gourad shading is just an application of the PHong model. The point is, neither of us invented the math or the concept.

Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Forum_account wrote:
I realize you're just trolling at this point.
Why? Because I disagree with you and tend to provide solid facts for my statements?

No, because you're so focused on disagreeing and providing "solid facts" that it doesn't appear as though any thought goes into what you say anymore. You're too concerned about trying to "win" the conversation that your responses are always just an absolute mess, trying to pick apart every sentence without any focus or regard for the topics as a whole. For example:

Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Forum_account wrote:
it doesn't fix those problems
Actually, a complete redesign (as suggested) would address the issues you mention as well

You're so busy thinking about "solid facts" and "logical fallacies" that you completely missed what "it" and "those problems" referred to.

The sentence of mine that you quoted there, in its entirety is: "Client-side processing would be nice but it doesn't fix those problems."

"Those problems" were explained in the previous paragraph as being the quirkiness of many DM featutes. Adding something huge like client-side processing is not going to get rid of that quirkiness. Is it more important to fix up the features we have or add to the feature set?
Forum_account, I'm certainly not trying to 'win' anything and apologize if I come across as such. I'm simply arguing my point when I do not agree with the point behind a response of yours, but I'm not sure how this makes my response a mess, as long as I explain the reason behind my thesis.
I always try to keep an eye on the main topic, but when such a topic becomes complex enough, logic reasoning should always debate the specific axioms involved. In the case of your example, a complete redesign of the language and software would include (as the 'complete' part tries to imply) everything and naturally would include the community/developers response to BYOND's features, their ease of use, their nomenclature, their performance and their power.

I actually only mentioned client-sided processing as concrete example where there would be a massive benefit to a redesign, not as the whole driving point behind the idea to begin with.
Page: 1 2