ID:100970

Not Feasible
Applies to:Website

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
Duplicates:id:102308, id:746025
I think it'd be a good idea to create an iPod/iPhone application for BYONDers to incorporate with. It'll boost BYOND's traffic an make iPod/iPhone user's happy.

Allow them to comment on forums, create blog posts (BYOND Members), ect.. Basically all website features that can be included into the application.
What are your thoughts on pricing for this convenience tool?
They can make the application only usable by BYOND Members. Make it so you have to login to BYOND to run it. It would be a nice idea for BYOND to do. Other social networks have their apps, so let's support a social gaming network application.
I have a hard time understanding what you're requesting. If you are asking for the BYOND tools to become 'mobilized', read this. If you're talking about having access to the site, I highly doubt it would boost the unique visitors count.
RJTaylor wrote:
I have a hard time understanding what you're requesting. If you are asking for the BYOND tools to become 'mobilized', read this. If you're talking about having access to the site, I highly doubt it would boost the unique visitors count.

I think the idea is more along the lines of a convenience application for reading new forums posts off the site in a format that's more visually pleasing on an iPhone, for existing regular members to buy if they would like to do that kind of browsing.
Gizhy wrote:
They can make the application only usable by BYOND Members. Make it so you have to login to BYOND to run it. It would be a nice idea for BYOND to do. Other social networks have their apps, so let's support a social gaming network application.

The app costs $99 to post onto the store, so chances are BYOND would be looking to sell it, more-so than just give it away as a member perk.
Exactly, I only intended to say that the app would include basic browsing capabilities that enhance the features of the website. Similar to other social browsing apps.

Edit: I didn't relize your earliest post. I didn't know that Apple charged to place an application in the app store. Therefore, I'm sure that BYOND staff could come up with a reasonable price for there app.
It'd be a pretty pointless venture. Why would I pay to access BYOND on a PHONE of all things when I can do it on my computer a lot faster and a lot better?
Well, I'm not quiet sure were you got yours facts Stephen but there are plenty apps in the app store that are sold/marked as free.
There's no point in our developing a special app just for interacting with the site, which is something any phone with a browser can do already. We are unlikely to have many iPad or iPhone users anyway, and the app wouldn't really do anything to attract other users to BYOND. The cost of developing the app (not just posting it to the app store but actually buying the necessary hardware and SDK, and also the time spent learning Objective-C and developing an app in it) is prohibitive. The cost/reward ratio is therefore astronomical.
It costs $100 annually to be able to test apps on an itouch/iphone device. You can test an app on the computer for free and the SDK and compiler are free as well. Objective-C has a little different syntax but it's not bad when you get used to it. The compiler is called XCode.

It would be nice to play BYOND games specifically designed to work with the iPhone/iTouch on an iPhone/iTouch, it would create a huge market for BYOND. You could make good money off subscriptions and how ever you decide to market it whether it be free to download or not. You can use in-app purchases to allow people to sell a BYOND game within the app itself. You can make good money off that, so can the people making the games.

If you do decide to make an app for the iPhone/iTouch I can be of some assistance. I've been working with Objective-C for awhile now.
Even with the SDK being free the cost/benefit ratio is about the same. The cost of dedicating time to porting the entire backend to objective-C, then writing interface code for it, would be simply be prohibitive.
Lummox JR wrote:
[...] then writing interface code for it [...]

Stop promoting, or even offering "interface" support. This may be acceptable for legacy games (because its necessary), but I can't think of another game that uses anything even remotely similar to interfaces. Support for such systems needs to be cut, not further supported for ports to things like Flash and Mobile Apps. With a few additions (mainly competent HUDs), maps could be the only thing necessary.