ID:1011657

(See the best response by Magicsofa.)
So in my game I'm creating a clan that can become bigger with a skill. Is there a way for icons to increase in size lets say from a 32x32 to a 128x128 durring runtime. without overlays or a whole new icon.

Best response
Like this:
turf/Clan_House
icon = 'clanhouse.dmi'

proc/GetBigger()
var/icon/I = new('clanhouse.dmi')
I.Scale(128,128)
icon = I

By the way, there's a nearly identical example to this available if you just press F1 in dream maker and type in "icon." You can also find all the built-in functions that work with icons...and so on. Try it out!

Another note...icon operations are REALLY SLOW. If you must do it this way, PLEASE do not have the game create a new icon every time someone goes into giant mode. Instead you should create any scaled icons necessary when the game is first run, and just use that when necessary.

This doesn't seem like a good application for using the Scale proc...in fact, unless your icon is just a solid block it's going to look a bit silly with pixels four times as big.

Double size might be acceptable and has been done in commercial games (old ones), but if you can find the time to draw a new icon it will probably come out looking much better.
In response to Magicsofa
If you want the icon to be dense all around when resizing, you'll also have to set bound_width and bound_height uppon scaling a icon.
thank you for the help.