The question is: When will Flash for BYOND be finished? It's been a lot of weeks since Tom released any update.
In response to Eternal_Memories
Eternal_Memories wrote:
The question is: When will Flash for BYOND be finished? It's been a lot of weeks since Tom released any update.

That should be another post :) maybe Tom will reply to it.

I haven't seen him or Lummox posting much at all hopefully they are too busy to do so .. or they gave up on us, lets hope not!
So. Any reason why not to have a mobile app, other than the obvious (though irrelevant) "there are other things to be done first?"
Firstly it's pretty expensive to purchase licenses for both IOS and Android to make official apps secondly it's not worth it as you could just create a mobile friendly website which is virtually free and could bring in some extra revenue by allow ads or perhaps making the pager on the mobile site member only.

You'll get a lot of false hopes with an app people may assume you can play games with it which you would be able too.

Push notifications are not that important, BYOND is a desktop program not a mobile app and this could potentially be used for spam as some people really like to mass page people you could in fact be getting "advertisements" every hour via the pager asking you to play pokefrog naruto GT ...
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Firstly it's pretty expensive to purchase licenses for both IOS and Android to make official apps

I can assure you it is not; An Android license is inexpensive compared to an iOS license. That being said, I believe purchasing an Android app license only costs $25, or something eerily similar to that.

You'll get a lot of false hopes with an app people may assume you can play games with it which you would be able too.

It will be more like false assumptions if they cannot read, and that is entirely their fault.

Honestly, I don't see why we shouldn't be designing games for the mobile market.

Both iOS and Android apps are a one-time payment, I know Android is like $25, that's a years worth membership ;)

If the BYOND staff was working on HTML5, which is compatible with both iOS and Android, we'd have a better chance of developing apps for mobile devices.

We will see though. Adobe is canceling developments on Flash and it's dying out pretty fast since it's not able to be ported to mobile devices.
In response to The Monster Atlas
This is a topic (which you started) about an app meant for a mobile-specialized interface for the website/pager. There's been plenty of requests for BYOND games on mobile devices, so that discussion should be avoided here.
In response to Magnum2k
Magnum2k wrote:
I can assure you it is not; An Android license is inexpensive compared to an iOS license. That being said, I believe purchasing an Android app license only costs $25, or something eerily similar to that.

Why would you target one device? When clearly both Android and IOS have a massive amount of users? not to mention that Windows 8 is up and coming so that's could be another license to purchase.

But you are right the costs aren't that outrageous (for BYOND they might be though).

It will be more like false assumptions if they cannot read, and that is entirely their fault.

Haha yep sure is ! :)

The Monster Atlas says :

Honestly, I don't see why we shouldn't be designing games for the mobile market.

BYOND isn't built for it and I assume it'll need a total re-haul apparently Dan created the inner workings and Tom is scared of it something to that effect anyway..

Both iOS and Android apps are a one-time payment, I know Android is like $25, that's a years worth membership ;)

Good to know :)

If the BYOND staff was working on HTML5, which is compatible with both iOS and Android, we'd have a better chance of developing apps for mobile devices.

If they were doing HTML5 instead of Flash hey wouldn't be 4 years behind everyone else and will have to pretty much throw all that hard work out of the window in a couple of years so yea you are completely correct.

We will see though. Adobe is canceling developments on Flash and it's dying out pretty fast since it's not able to be ported to mobile devices.

I wouldn't say fast it has a few years left in it the development may of stopped but the interwebz haz many sites dependent on it, which in my opinion they should be looking to update to a more reliable way to push out fun stuff to the visitors they have in this case HTML5.

Kaiochao says:

This is a topic (which you started) about an app meant for a mobile-specialized interface for the website/pager. There's been plenty of requests for BYOND games on mobile devices, so that discussion should be avoided here.

Agreed I still don't think an app is worth the hassle it would be good to hear from Tom but he has gone MIA perhaps Dan escaped from Lummox JR's basement who knows.
I was going to write a BYOND pager app for iOS but I'm not going to invest the time in trying to reverse engineer the pager protocol, and I don't think Tom and co. are going to invest the time in making a consumable API. Features like push for alerts/pages can't be done by third parties either.

Best someone can do now is probably just make the current data more consumable on a mobile device, though I'm unsure that there is real value in that at the moment.
In response to Unknown Person
Unknown Person wrote:
I was going to write a BYOND pager app for iOS but I'm not going to invest the time in trying to reverse engineer the pager protocol, and I don't think Tom and co. are going to invest the time in making a consumable API. Features like push for alerts/pages can't be done by third parties either.

Best someone can do now is probably just make the current data more consumable on a mobile device, though I'm unsure that there is real value in that at the moment.

I guess you're right. Maybe it would be better if we developed this application later on down the line when we get a lot more users. But I would figure the application would work exactly like the pager, maybe with a more modern interface.
Page: 1 2