ID:101874

Not a bug
BYOND Version:475
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 6.0.472.55
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
At start of hosting, I logged in and opened my task manager. It says 13k k at once. Then, a couple of minutes to a hour, it grew to 87k k...
The game is Dark Renegade.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Just log in and start playing. It'll grow the usage over time.
Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
It'll stay at it's constant 13k to 15k k range.
Actual Results:
Went from 13k k to even 103k k ram usage.
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every time I log in and start playing.
In other games?
Dunno, only played this one.
In other user accounts?
Yes.
On other computers?
Apparently, some with XP, Vista, Win7 has this problem.

When does the problem NOT occur?
Dunno.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
I believe it started when I bought new laptop with Win 7. I didn't have this problem with my old laptop with Vista...could it be platform issues with BYOND?

Workarounds:
Switch back to Vista...?

Update:
I got on my Vista laptop and compiled the same host file with clean compile. There WAS HUGE difference in cpu usage. Current host file(Win7) uses 50-60% of my cpu, whilst newer host file(Vista) uses 20-25% of my cpu. Unsure if this helps...
First off I think we need to get the terminology clear. It's better to just say MB instead of "k k" because MB is clear; "k k" is not.

It's not uncommon to see this kind of RAM usage in games with a great many icons, or with complex interfaces. The reason is simply that icons, sounds, etc. have to be loaded into memory on the client end. They are periodically unloaded when they're not needed, but basically in a game with high icon variety you can expect high memory usage. I've seen many games use 87MB in Dream Seeker during gameplay, so this is not unusual. I don't think it's really even all that high as some games go. In particular though you can definitely not expect an initial low level of usage to be maintained; it's going to go up as more icons are loaded, without question.

As far as CPU usage, that would be a separate issue since your bug report is talking solely about memory. However with two different machines I don't think you can get an accurate comparison of CPU usage.
Understood. Sorry for the confusion. Didn't know that more icons requires more memory. Thought it might be something else. Thanks once again.
It does occur to me that an idea I had to improve on icon operation times by going back to a palette-based format wherever possible might be applicable here. If DS were to load the icons in a palette form it would improve its memory consumption.