Fused Finale

by ACWraith
Fused Finale
Guide travellers to the warp gate with procedurally generated rhythm.
ID:102088

I just uploaded a couple minor changes to my rhythm action game before BYOND Casual's Imagination Competition ends. Please try Fused Finale if you haven't already.

Scores are now recorded on the hub. I was tempted to wait, but my efforts seem to be going towards making the game easier for a casual audience. If I offered a change that happened to make it harder, the top scores could be rather untouchable. As it is, I might as well use them as a form of feedback.

[EDIT: Mind you those scores are recorded every level. I understand that the songs last a while. Your time is respected so you can quit when you'd like.]

Meanwhile, SuperAntx mentioned that having travelers turn just before the scanners makes it too difficult. I was able to edit the first map easily. The third map has the same attribute, but there doesn't seem to be room to move things around without making paths shorter. That might not matter as much so I'll adjust my design priorities. Fortunately, the maps cycle back around and the first edit affected 25% of the game.

Old

New

Ignore the color changes and floor tiles. The game randomly adjusts them every level.
So will this ever have any Fooldom Come benefits?
Definitely. I just didn't want to introduce too many features for the final competition entry in case of bugs.

Since level duration can't be decreased with skill, one benefit might be the ability to select the starting level so that subscribers don't have to wait so long for the difficulty to ramp up. The opportunities for long streaks increase so skipping levels won't be a detriment to one's score.
The game gets very boring very fast. I would try adding some more pleasing music and sound effects. It's just kind of like "Dun... Dun... Dun dun..."
There will likely be more variety for the sound effects later. They're just a pain to create so I went with a solid default for the competition.

I'm not sure how to aim for "more pleasing music" though. I could have some songs where chord choices are relatively constant to make them resemble mainstream stuff, but I've grown to rather like the structure. If the same pitch is being chosen too many times in a row, I can remove it from the choices. If the initial strike positions are too even, I can increase their randomness. If it's an issue of too few notes, that level select I just mentioned should help.
ACWraith wrote:
There will likely be more variety for the sound effects later. They're just a pain to create so I went with a solid default for the competition.

I'm not sure how to aim for "more pleasing music" though. I could have some songs where chord choices are relatively constant to make them resemble mainstream stuff, but I've grown to rather like the structure. If the same pitch is being chosen too many times in a row, I can remove it from the choices. If the initial strike positions are too even, I can increase their randomness. If it's an issue of too few notes, that level select I just mentioned should help.

An easy way to make midis and sounds is Guitar Pro 5.