ID:102237

Progress has been pretty much non-existent over the past month due to a couple of excuses:

1) Overwhelmed myself trying to design admin and chat systems. Plans got too big too fast. Had hoped to find some good resources on BYOND due to both of these being common things in games, but much to my dismay there is little.

2) Steam decided to re-download TF2 and L4D2 even though I have them set to only update manually. With my monthly bandwidth consumed on the second day of the month, having less than dial-up speed is rather frustrating.

Regardless, I have set a date to have the game up by. I'll announce it another time, until then I have a huge sheet of paper taped to my wall outlining a progress roadmap.

What to expect from the first version? Not much.
Only 100 or so cards will be available, the game will mostly be still in test phases and many things will be barely in. But to progress, I need to get it out there. Once it's out, players will be able to help out in various ways.

My apologies for the delays, believe me when I say it is much more frustrating for me than anyone.

----

One of the biggest blocks right now is the design of the user interface, and how the game generally is laid out for the player. My intention is to make the game a little more menu based, but still having maps. Basically re-thinking everything from the ground up.

I have no talent for this creative user interface stuff so I may end up needing to outsource the work(paying) to someone creative and adept at user interfaces and photoshop.

I'd like to use new graphics for maps/players, so I'll need to find an artist for that too eventually. The kind of style I envision is similar to flash, kind of "anime-ish". http://www.cartoonsolutions.com/ has a characters in a similar style, but not quite on the mark.

I'll do my best to post weekly with updates, reports and requests.
What are your requirements for administration and chat, exactly?
Stephen001 wrote:
What are your requirements for administration and chat, exactly?

What he said. In addition, if there are certain resources you need, feel free to reach out, I could probably provide in the field of non-graphical, non-artistic ones.
Thanks for the Update Kajika, I serously can't wait for this game to come back up. Just a question, how come you can't put the old game up untill you're finished? There are so many of us that miss it and really want to play that untill your newest one is out. I wasn't sure if you were someway unable too? Even if it was made so people had to host their own servers again. Could you sseriously consider this? I've been dying to play DMO for such a long time as have several others, if you did this it would be great and get even more followers of your games for when the new one is out.
kajika can you tell us when dmo will be released?
BoTisHerE
As I mentioned, I won't announce the date until it's a bit closer.

Furosuchi
I tried. After going through so many issues I decided the time was better spent working on the new game.

Kuraudo / Stephan001
Nothing really out of the ordinary, just wanted to find a nice library that had undergone testing and scrutiny so I wouldn't have to spend time fixing them.

I've hacked together some basic systems, I'll just improve these as features are needed.
Well we can't really improve the library situation unless you tell us what "nothing out of the ordinary" is.
kajika make some video and post it in youtube :)
Absolutely, when I have a bit more time I can go into more details. I'll have to dig up my notes for full descriptions.

** Chat System
I'm sure there are many ways to do this, this is off the top of my head and what I've done recently.

Used a single datum to contain all chat related functions and variables. I wasn't certain on how I'd send/receive chat so I made wrapper procs the client can access.

Needed an adjustable spam filter, flood protection, automated muting, emoticons probably, block lists.

Trickiest was setting up a instant messaging kind of system. Basically like MSN/AIM/ICQ where a small window would be used to private message. Group chat could also be possible.

I've finished most of this stuff now, although it's not pretty especially the instant message windows.

Thanks for the interest.

BoTisHere
There isn't really much to show, just cards moving around. I'll think about it though, it probably won't be all that interesting.
Ah alright, that's most unfortunate, if you don't mind me askign what issues did you face? Is there no way you could put up an older version even? Sorry for the pestering but I really do miss the game.
Mostly inconsistent crashing and refusal to compile randomly. Spent about a week and a half testing and tweaking things but without much success.

I'm hoping this remake won't have any of the weird issues the original had.
Hey Kaj! Finally, an update. I'll be glad to help out once this game is up and running. Just keep updating us from time to time to give us hope that we'll have a Phoenix-like revival one day.
Alright, it was worth a shot, I miss having an automated Yugioh game, so much better than manual. If you do decide to pull in help with the art I know somebody who is rather skilled on byond and art programs for Windows. She's done some rather good icons and so on for other games.