ID:102277

Keywords: techtree

I have quite a few external links before I talk about us so let's get to it.

• Have you signed the petition I've been promoting yet?  At least two amicus briefs have been making the rounds in the case of Scharwznegger v. EMA.  More can be found here.  Meanwhile, GameHounds' legal expert Nicholas Sylvain is offering explanations in his Rules of the Game column.
  • IGF Chairman Brandon Boyer has posted a FAQ for 2011's Independent Games Festival.  Entrants have roughly a month to submit their games.
  • Developer Derek Yu provided tips for finishing games on his Make Games blog.
  • Over on his Gamasutra blog, Mark Tanjutco interviewed Nate Polling about his Starcraft-themed college class.  Meanwhile, Starcraft commentator Husky celebrated his 200K+ subscribers as he announced that he's moving to LA for a paid position with YouTube's The Game Station.
  • Danny Cowan examined Sid Meier's Civilization V in this week's Critical Reception on Gamasutra.
  • Emily Short made Lars Doucet's Cellcraft the subject of her latest Homer In Silicon column for GameSetWatch.  It's a Flash-based RTS about cellular biology.
  • Citing disagreements about speed and quality, print-on-demand board game supplier The Game Crafter has announced the end of their relationship with Superior POD.  There will be a slight delay as they make up for late orders, but their plans to increase their range of products remain intact.
  • Check out The Ben Heck Show.  It's home improvement through the modding of game consoles.  The first episode involves redesigning an Xbox 360 controller for someone who lost the use of a hand.  In addition, there's a larger project where a console is being turned into a laptop computer.  Here's an interview with Ben Heck from Ars Technica's Andrew Webster.

Metamorphman's Ataxx variant, hexWar, has received multiple updates.  Details on the hub page reveal them to be minor changes made just in time for the extended deadline of BYOND Casual's Imagination Competition.  A forfeit button has been added along with a command to access a server's address.

D4RK3 54B3R's entry to The BYOND Cartidge Classic II is a strategy RPG called The Blades of Litamora.  Players shall lead a band of progressing mercenaries through turn-based tactical combat.  Multiple items, enemies and locations are planned.

IainPeregrine has posted the rules for this year's GiaD. Themes will be announced on Saturday morning. Developers will then be tasked with creating a game during a 24-hour period before the end of Sunday. Unlike previous events, poor use of a theme will not result in a game's disqualification. Read the link for the full details.

In the comments of the hub page, Branks is calling for suggestions to improve Wyllshire Road.  His role in the development of the horror defense RTS isn't clear as the game is attributed to VcentG.  However, he has moderator status in the game's forum so forget my ignorance and help him out.

There's probably some interface changes I should mention, but I don't have them on hand.  In the meantime, it's nice to have a recent game with original content reach the front page of BYOND Strategy's game list through popularity. =)

Jackel554, are we actually going to get any details on that trading card game you're researching for or are you going to continue tempting me to use random questions like these as filler?

I actually worked on my racing combat board game, StarScurrier!  Woohoo!  I got quite a bit done too.  Just about all of the graphics are in and the game-specific infrastructure is roughly done.  Sounds and individual game phases are yet to come.

I also released a quick update to Fused Finale during the Imagination Competition's deadline extension.  The rhythm action game's music generation has been slightly tweaked and a map was edited in response to feedback.  (Thanks, guys!)

Fooldom Come: One subscription. Many games.

Sign the petition from the Electronic Consumers Association that will be submitted along with their amicus brief in the case of Schwarzenegger v. EMA. Protect your gamer rights!