ID:1024625

Keywords: freeze, output, windows8
BYOND Version:497
Operating System:Windows 8 Professional x64
Web Browser:Chrome 22.0.1229.94
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Did not test this thoroughly, may be something with my configuration or with Windows 8 itself, was wondering if anyone else had a Windows 8 machine to test this with?

----------------------------------------

Descriptive Problem Summary:
Most prevalently in Chatters, when text is being outputted to the main window, it occasionally freezes Dream Seeker for 3 - 4 seconds.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Login to Chatters.
Wait, after a few messages are outputted, Dream Seeker will freeze.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
The output window not to freeze up.

Actual Results:
The output window freezes.
Attempted with and without colors, smiley's, etc.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every 3 minutes or so.
In other games? Unknown
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? Untested

When does the problem NOT occur?
In operating systems before Windows 8.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds:
Telnet?
" Runs on Win98/2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 "

:)
Yes, but at the same time, we need to ensure future compatibility.
Like I said, it might just be my installation, I haven't had any other Windows 8 boxes to test this on...
Of course we need future compatibility no denying that one.
The problem hasn't been very noticeable, but what you're describing does ring some bells. I can remember it locking up for a few seconds before displaying everything at once and returning to normal.
For me it happens a lot, it seems to happen more often when I'm switching between windows, but that isn't something that I can actually reproduce.
BYOND is plenty compatible. I can't even be sure of what this specific issue really is. I've never had any problems running BYOND on Windows 8 besides apparently what Flame Sage is talking about (which I didn't actually notice or think about until he pointed it out).
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
BYOND is plenty compatible. I can't even be sure of what this specific issue really is. I've never had any problems running BYOND on Windows 8 besides apparently what Flame Sage is talking about (which I didn't actually notice or think about until he pointed it out).

Exactly.
It's compatible enough, and running it in compatibility mode doesn't fix the problem.
I think it occurs more often when I have my mouse cursor highlighted on something in the output window.
I'm not sure why, as it isn't exactly my field of expertise, but the rich text output has always been incredibly intensive, system-wise, probably the most expensive of all of the client. Since the dawn of time (my using BYOND), the output has stopped the entire client just be sending a single message every tick. On this computer, Chatters just completely freezes up when I mess with the output at all.
In response to Hiro the Dragon King
I've also noticed issues with the output control, on my last computer.
If any text was highlighted and then text was outputted, I had a pretty high chance of dreamseeker freezing for a few seconds.
I couldn't find any way to reproduce it on other computers so I gave up and then the issue went away when I got my new computer.
That would be a similar issue here, Murrawhip.
Freezing problem also exists while running Dream Seeker under Windows 7 (since I have had that issue before using Windows 8). Seems to be an issue with output elements containing many lines before updating (when highlighted). If anything, it might have something do to with the fact such elements are GDI-based resulting in such freezes.

Probably unavoidable on any Windows OS if it contains many lines due to GDI's low performance with certain things.