ID:103697

Keywords: review
So today I discovered this cool section of the site that allows you to look at the Reviews submitted by BYOND members. I know I might seem a bit slow because of this, but what was worse is that these reviews sucked.

I looked over about 10 different reviews, half of them on RIPs, half of them done by the owners of the game, and well... you get the picture.

So I thought I'd draw up a few organized pointers on how to write a review.

1. Be concise and organized.

To jump from one point to another, and then back to beggining, then your conclusion, just sounds confusing. If it really helps, break your review down into the 4 main parts. This not only helps you as the writer organize your ideas, but shows the reader that this review is serious and not some noob putting in his/her 2 cents.

Here are some tips on what you might want to include for each section of the review.

Gameplay: Is the game fun? How much is there to do in the game? Is there a tutorial? Are the controls easy to understand? Are the controls easy to use?

Presentation: Where do the graphics come from. Are the graphics original? Is there sound? Does the sound work well with the game? What does the HUB look like, and is it attractive? What does the Skin look like, is it easy to use?

Originality: Is this game based off an anime, TV show, or movie? What are the concepts for plot and gameplay? Where do the games materials(Graphics) come from? Is the game a RIP? Does the game have a number in its name?

PS: For originallity, most games if not more than half, are based off an anime. So try to not use this factor against the game, but rather look at how the game does things differently from other games based on the same anime.

2. Use Screenshots!

Screenshots are the easiest way to get your point across easily. Its so much easier to show someone something than explain it. Like they say, a picture is worth 1000 words.

The easiest way to do this is to go straight to the game's HUB and steal their screenshots. If they don't have any, no worries, its easy to go on the game for a few minutes to grab a few screenshots to detail the Graphics and Gameplay.

Take your own screenshots before taking the HUB's. It shows you put the effort into going to the game and doing this step yourself. However, having the HUB's screenshots is better than having none at all.

3. Don't be biased.

If you dedicate the review to being overjoyed with the game (perhaps because you are a GM or the owner) or dissatisfied with the game (perhaps because you were banned) it will show and no one will take your review seriously.

Instead, remember to show points for both good and bad aspects of the game. Maybe you love the graphics of a game, but find that the Gameplay could use a little work. Feel free to say this in the most polite way possible.

Remember as well that aggressiveness shows biasness, so always try and be polite as if you were talking in casual conversation with the Owner of the game. Try and gives tips and pointers for whoever is working on the game so they know why needs to be worked on. Why call a game bad if you don't show a way for it to be fixed.

3. Use proper punctuation and grammar.

If you talk like a noob, your going to be treated like on. So make sure you:

-Capitilize your "i", people's names, and titles.
-Do not use contractions of words such as "ur" or "u" or "thx"
-Use punctuation (. ! ?)

These are just some basic views, but just think that this is some sort of Essay for class, and you are being graded. You wouldn't hand in a paper that looked like a second grader wrote it. If you are in second grade... perhaps wait to write a review.

Also remember to format your piece so its easier for your audience to read. Underlining titles, italicizing and bolding important points. Just make sure you're consistent.

4. Don't review the game's community.

Technically who is in charge on the game's staff, or how the players act is not part of the game's coding or design. So don't include something that may seem like its in the owner's control, because most times its not.

5. Avoid walls of text. (Submitted by Jedioh)

When a review is to congested, it makes it hard to read and stay focused on. Split your points up into small paragraphs so people have a small break whilst reading.

Well thats all I could write for now, I have already written this article twice now but for some reason it didn't get sent the first time around. Comments would be appreciated, especially if you think anything needs to be added.

You should add: Avoid walls of text.
Is that serious?
I'm being serious. I've seen a lot of reviews that have walls of text. It's annoying when you're attempting to read it.
True. I thought maybe it was a critic on the review, as there is a lot of text. But basically breaking it down is good. Thanks.
Like they say, a picture is worth 100 words.

Need to be changed to ""A picture is worth 1000 words.""
Har Har, thanks typos are fun!
I also disagree with people taking screenshots from their HUB. It'd make for a better review if they compiled their own screenshots, so we know they took the time to play the game.
True, I would suggest taking your own before taking the HUBs. However, having screenshots is better than having none at all.
I disagree with the game's community to some extent. It should never be the entire review, but it is an important part of any online game. (Especially where many are only hosted on one server) Owners,are more than able to make their communities better, sadly most don't want to take the time to hire the staff or do it themselves.

I say it's also important cause usually crappy games(rips mostly) attract the worse type of communities.
I like this post!
Useless post. What you're saying makes sense, but many people have attempted to explain how to write a proper review and it made no difference. Retards will be retards and we will continue to see reviews that only consist of things like "i luv dis gaem, its da best on byond!".
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Useless post. What you're saying makes sense, but many people have attempted to explain how to write a proper review and it made no difference. Retards will be retards and we will continue to see reviews that only consist of things like "i luv dis gaem, its da best on byond!".

Perhaps, but telling these people "This review sucks.." isn't going to make the reviews better either. I found this a better approach.

ACWraith wrote:
Here's my take and a list of opportunities. ;)

Thanks, didn't know this excisted.
I disagree on reviewing the community. That can be valuable information as long as you're unbiased. It's also definitely a part of the game design. The owners have complete control over how the game's moderators behave, it's their design.