Sidescroller

by Forum_account
Sidescroller
This library gives you the basic movement system of a platformer. You can make an action/platform game in minutes!
Wasn't there a feature which snapped mobs to the ladder they were climbing?
SuperAntx wrote:
Wasn't there a feature which snapped mobs to the ladder they were climbing?

No, but it shouldn't be difficult to add one.
Forum_account wrote:
No, but it shouldn't be difficult to add one.

It would be helpful if you added the feature, but if you don't want to clutter up your lib with extra non critical stuff I could do it myself. I just don't want to do extra work if I can pass the bill to you, hah.

Another useful ladder feature would be the ability to have a topmost tile act as a platform in addition to a ladder. It would let mobs walk over it like it was a normal wall tile, but if the player went to climb down it they would drop down and climb like usual.
Those are changes I've want to make to ladders. Currently, you can climb if the center pixel of the mob's bounding box is over a ladder tile. It's likely that games will want different rules (ex: must be completely within the ladder horizontally). I can change the library to include a proc that's used to determine if the mob is on a ladder, then add a demo that contains different ways to create these effects.
Sounds good.

Also, there might be something wrong with ramps. It seems like you can phase through walls when going up a ramp.

Drop this map into ramps-demo for a test case.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
Sounds good.

Also, there might be something wrong with ramps. It seems like you can phase through walls when going up a ramp.

Drop this map into ramps-demo for a test case.

I didn't download the map until now and the file isn't there anymore. I can imagine the setup though.

When you walk up a ramp you actually move straight to the right and your move is adjusted based on its slope. But, since you're only moving straight to the right the code only checks for obstacles straight to your right. If there's a wall above you it won't clip your movement against that wall, so you'll end up moving inside the wall. Once you're inside a wall movement can become unpredictable.

Another useful ladder feature would be the ability to have a topmost tile act as a platform in addition to a ladder. It would let mobs walk over it like it was a normal wall tile, but if the player went to climb down it they would drop down and climb like usual.

I just posted an update which includes an example of this in a demo. The ladder's constructor checks if the turf above it is also a ladder and, if it's not, it sets the turf's scaffold var to 1. This way you can walk on top of ladders. The only difference is that you have to hold down and press jump to climb down them instead of simply pressing down.
When I compile i get this error: BYOND\lib\forum_account\keyboard\keyboard.dm:186:warning: if: if statement has no effect

When I run my text box is filled with 100's of errors.
...any solutions?
In response to Kboy33
Kboy33 wrote:
When I compile i get this error: BYOND\lib\forum_account\keyboard\keyboard.dm:186:warning: if: if statement has no effect

Try deleting the Keyboard library and downloading it again. To delete it, double click on it in Dream Maker to open the Keyboard library, go to File -> Open Project Folder, then delete the library's folder.

...any solutions?

What are the errors you're getting?
In response to Forum_account
Forum_account wrote:
Kboy33 wrote:

Try deleting the Keyboard library and downloading it again. To delete it, double click on it in Dream Maker to open the Keyboard library, go to File -> Open Project Folder, then delete the library's folder.

...any solutions?

What are the errors you're getting?

This is the type of error im recieving:
runtime error: bad index
proc name: action (/mob/proc/action)

I get around 100 of these spamming me. So i cant really test the Demo. I compile and run then this pops up in the text box.

Sorry this may be a noob question but how do i download the Library again?

Do i just delete the version of this demo I have now then redownload it?
:/
Guys,Enable the Keyboard library for this to work :).
alright fixed original issue but for some reason my character wont show up on screen with the library enabled.. shows up fine with keyboard but once sidescroller is added my character disappears all demos are unchecked
I can't seem to find a way to make it so I can transverse maps. Like, say I was at destination A, and Destination B was a completely different map. How would I make a teleportto function so I can use different maps.
Page: 1 2