ID:1047339

Well, we haven't seen any new information about any further update so far, and I wondered if Tom revealed any important detail.

They haven't been in the Forum for long. :S
I think their absence from the forum is intentional, and they are working away still reading everything (they reply sometimes) or they are on a beach somewhere sipping martini's.
"He" is on AIM though set as away at the moment, hopefully he'll reply to me eventually :P it's been a good seven months since i've had a decent conversation with him anyway, i want to know what's going on or what i missed! :O
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
I think their absence from the forum is intentional, and they are working away still reading everything (they reply sometimes) or they are on a beach somewhere sipping martini's.

Or they're putting all of their efforts into the flash client!

In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
Or they're putting all of their efforts into the flash client!

^ This please!

I like to think they're reworking the graphics engine to make something like Forum_account's 3D BYOND idea more feasible.

Ha ha.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
I like to think they're reworking the graphics engine to make something like Forum_account's 3D BYOND idea more feasible.

Ha ha.

^ I'll take this too! xD
I like to think they're working on the flash client, and secretly implementing a lot of our more time consuming or delayed feature requests. Like increased zoom option on the map editor for 16x16 icon games, and being able to use flip horizontal or vertical on multiple icon states at the same time.
I think they are trying to replace the current graphic system because even Tom has mentioned not being happy with the current solution.
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
I think they are trying to replace the current graphic system because even Tom has mentioned not being happy with the current solution.

Is there any post where Tom said that?
What would that change, though?

Thanks for the info (:
In response to Eternal_Memories
Eternal_Memories wrote:
Is there any post where Tom said that?

http://www.byond.com/members/ Fugsnarf?command=view_post&post=968345&first_unread=1
Bump.
There has been extensive testing of new stuff for the last few weeks amongst the closed testing group, once all of the major issues are hashed out I assume there will be further testing with the public.
Heh funny I asked the same question but my post got deleted...
Apparently the pager rework and the Flash stuff is the next release, which *should* be soon... pretty excited, have been since it was announced.
The Flash stuff unfortunately isn't ready (despite infinite delays) but we do have a pretty cool new pager just about ready for release. The main thing is that it has some membership incentives, which we sorely need to finance any further development because BYOND is really not in good financial shape at the moment.
That is unfortunate news about Flash, but I am really looking forward to seeing the new pager, and I am curious about the membership incentives now. That's extremely unfortunate news about BYOND's financial shape, though. Could a little more information be given about that? I mean, I've recently been wondering if a game utilizing subscriptions earned BYOND say, $100 for example, would that even make a difference? or is it so bad that $100 would hardly even make a dent in the debts?
I appreciate the generosity. Ultimately, it boils down to a larger percentage of our userbase contributing. If every user only bought one membership in their lifetime, we'd never have anything to worry about, but unfortunately only a very small percentage do. We have had the fortune of having a few relatively successful games using the profit-sharing as well as a couple of incredibly generous benefactors, so that has helped us stay afloat.

The new pager runs some ads for non-Members so hopefully that will help. The entire system has been revamped and IMO is much superior to the old one, as it provides a better way to find users and games. We will have a public version very soon as we're just in final testing.
Great sounds good! I liked the older style pager where it loaded the website inside itself, I assume you replicated this? without loading the site in the pager.

If that makes sense at all.
Yeah, it uses a browser component but caches stuff ahead of time so it doesn't need to do extensive website lookups. So it's pretty fast. I think you'll like it. Also, the way the messaging works is a lot better, and we have some other perks in there.
Page: 1 2