ID:105748

I came up with this weighting system for trying to determine which project I should be working on next. I like it and thought I would share.

1. Grab the names of any number of projects you have sitting around waiting to be worked on and throw them into a list in notepad or your preferred editor.
Project A
Project B
Project C

2. Copy this list of considerations and paste it one line below your project list.
- Most Fun To Make
- Most Fun To Have Completed
- Most Profitable
- Difficulty (More stars means easier)

3. Copy and paste your project list under the first consideration title (Most Fun To Make).
- Most Fun To Make
Project A
Project B
Project C

- Most Profitable

4. Place a '+' next to the first item in the list.
- Most Fun To Make
+Project A
Project B
Project C

5. Now look at the second project and ask yourself, "Is 'Project B' more fun to make than 'Project A'?" If yes, cut and paste Project B above Project A and add '++' to the front of 'Project B'. If not, add one '+' in front of 'Project B' and add one '+' to 'Project A'. For our example, Project B will be funner than Project A.

Your list now looks like this.
- Most Fun To Make
++Project B
+Project A
Project C

6. Going forward, I will refer to the projects as A, B, and C. Repeat the consideration for C against the one right above it (A). If C were to move up past A, then immediately consider it against B. Lets say B ends up being funner than C.

Here is what it looks like now.
- Most Fun To Make
+++Project B
++Project C
+Project A

If C hadn't moved up past A and remained at the bottom, then C gets one '+' and we increment every project above it by adding one additional '+' to each.

7. Now repeat the above steps (3-6) for the remaining categories. Keep in mind that the 'Difficulty' consideration is sort of bassakwards and more stars means its easier.
- Most Fun To Have Completed.
- Most Profitable

You should end up something like this.
- Most Fun To Make
+++Project B
++Project C
+Project A

+++Project C
++Project B
+Project A

- Most Profitable
+++Project B
++Project A
+Project C

+++Project B
++Project A
+Project C

8. Now total your weights
[8] - Project B
[5] - Project A
[5] - Project C

9. No ties are allowed so perform one last comparison between A and C and here is your own recommended project order.

Preferred Order
Project B
Project C
Project A

I've used this weighting system a few times now and each time, I'm surprised but what I find. You can of course add your own considerations. Most of my sorts contain about 10 projects. If anything, the one thing this does is call out the projects you should absolutely without a doubt not be wasting precious day dreaming on. :)

If you come up with a new project, just add it to the bottom of each list, work it up the list, and then redo your totals. You'll find that your lists are fairly dynamic after processing them a few times. Keep track of the specific ideas which caused a change of heart for any given project. This process could help you solidify your design processes.

If you give this a try and come up with something interesting or surprising, consider sharing it.

ts
Or you could just work on whatever project you're confident you can complete the fastest.
SuperAntx wrote:
Or you could just work on whatever project you're confident you can complete the fastest.

heh... might be a good consideration even though difficulty encompasses it. I actually need an additional consideration for a tie breaker... let me try it...
What's neat about this system is that additional considerations only provide additional granularity in your preferences so you could continuously whittle it down until your content.

Coming back 2 weeks later and adding an additional consideration is easy and doesn't require a full recount.

Sort of interesting results for myself tonight.... Even though the PM is nearly done, its on the bottom of my list simply because its not that much fun. Another major factor is that I've come more accustom to people not wanting to collaborate and so the future of the project is just *phzzit*. Normally, I add a bunch of games to this list but tonight, I decided to try a list of potential projects which could be integrated into the Resource Center and surprisingly, my views changed for each project.

Training Center
Collaboration Center
Project Manager

Most Fun To Make
+++Training Center
++Collaboration Center
+Project Manager

Most Fun To Have Completed
+++Training Center
++Collaboration Center
+Project Manager

Most Profitable
+++Collaboration Center
++Training Center
+Project Manager

Difficulty (More stars means easier)
+++Project Manager
++Collaboration Center
+Training Center

Time To Completion (More stars means faster)
+++Project Manager
++Collaboration Center
+Training Center

Final Weighted List (add up the plus signs for each project)
[11] - Collaboration Center
[10] - Training Center
[9] - Project Manager
I think it'd be more useful to do this for tasks instead of projects. Picking a project to work on can involve a lot of subjective qualities that change from minute to minute, like "what icons am I the most sick of looking at?"

You could apply the same idea except list tasks (parts of a project) instead of entire projects. You could then add a way to define dependencies and output something like a PERT chart. The problem with software development isn't deciding what project to work on, the problem is how to keep each project organized.