ID:106113

Keywords: miscellaneous
News has been thin around the holidays and I should help prepare my house for the relatives gathering tomorrow. I'll save the few links I collected for later. With the site redesign making my guild column obsolete, next week could be the final Tech Tree!

If you're still looking for presents:
  • The Humble Indie Bundle #2 now includes the games of from the first bundle if you pay more than the average price. That's Braid, Cortex Command, Machinarium, Osmos, Revenge of the Titans, World of Goo, Aquaria, Gish, Lugaru HD, Penumbra Overature and Samarost 2 for what's currently less than $8.
  • There's also Bundle of Wrong. It currently includes SYNSO: Championship Edition, Squid And Let Die, SYNSO2: Squid Harder, SYNSO2: Squid Hardest (Special Edition), War Twat and War Twat Color Blindness Edition.
  • Naturally, sites like Steam and GOG are having some great sales as well.
  • Meanwhile, being stuffed from Thanksgiving sales has not stopped me from offering lifetime Fooldom Come subscriptions in return for less expensive Steam gifts. Check out The Gift Me Games Deal for benefits in Flesh And Drone, Fused Finale, Gears & Peers, Grim Prospects, GrimTunnel, Occupied Forces, PathWrath 2, Wrangle Warp And Weep and my future projects.

For now, let's enjoy some holiday videos. And by "holidays", I appear to mean Christmas. Unfortunately, I have not stumbled on much variety in that regard. Sorry!

Don't forget the classics:

Got news? It could be your last chance!
Please continue your column into 2011. It's one of the few great constants on BYOND! The new website will not obsolete any of the guilds, and we can even feature your stuff more prominently on the main page.
Tom wrote:
Please continue your column into 2011. It's one of the few great constants on BYOND! The new website will not obsolete any of the guilds, and we can even feature your stuff more prominently on the main page.

Thanks. I seriously was wondering what would happen here...
@Tom: The purpose of Tech Tree has been to increase BYOND Strategy's content and promote its featured games. However, the guild will no longer be a focal point and the new "Games" status will make progress reports easy to access. Other than that, Tech Tree is mainly my questionable charm, collection of external content and development policies (including feature standards that I'll continue to nag you with anyway ;)).

I'm not moping about the situation and I'm open to creating some other form of site-wide content. However, the benefits of this particular incarnation have dwindled. While BYOND Anime can probably survive on a healthy fanbase, focusing on a guild that never had much activity to begin with doesn't seem to benefit anyone. What good is the new site design if the "few great constants" are still concentrating on the old one? I'm broke and I want out of the box.
Well, my hope was that you'd continue the column but focus on all featured games. Outside of the anime vs. non-anime debate, the line is pretty blurred anyway. I think there's a lot of value in what you're doing, even if the current community doesn't appreciate it.

I'd love to pay you for your work (it is well-deserved), but I'm broke myself. I think we've sold about 10 memberships this week. Let's hope things change for the better for both of us in 2011.
@Tom: Like I said, I'm still open to that. It's just that the place for it is not within a guild defined by it's genre.
Yeah, it might be better off in a separate section, or else you could just rename this site and change the focus. At any rate, I do hope you continue with the column in some incarnation, as you have done a great job for so many years and I, for one, have enjoyed reading your weekly summary.
Tom wrote:
Yeah, it might be better off in a separate section, or else you could just rename this site and change the focus. At any rate, I do hope you continue with the column in some incarnation, as you have done a great job for so many years and I, for one, have enjoyed reading your weekly summary.

If BYOND had a like button, I would like this.
Hmmm.
In regards to the Steam sales, you should've mentioned SavyGamer's list =P
@DivineTraveller: I wasn't savy. ;)
What have you done with our TechTree, AC?!
Replacing it with this, imposter!
I'd love to see this blog slide right on in to a BYOND wide "report" if your up for that. It would certainly give you some more stuff to talk about. Although... it may spread things too thin. Hrmm... what if you focused on just the projects with potential and perhaps shine some light on the shakers and movers in the BYOND community. Just a loose idea.

Anyway... great work and I really hope you find a niche moving forward. I'd be seriously troubled if you couldn't. Hopefully, one day, I'll earn a top spot on your page. :)

ts
Tom > I'd love to pay you for your work (it is well-deserved), but I'm broke myself. I think we've sold about 10 memberships this week. Let's hope things change for the better for both ALL of us in 2011.

I may have to apply for an extension myself...
You know, this whole "BYOND News" thing on my pager has said the same thing for about NINE MONTHS. I think that it would be AWESOME if maybe ACWraith could do a weekly/biweekly thing that was BYOND wide that went to everyone's pager. This way more people will get to see new things. It took me 2 years to find out BYOND wasn't Anime games believe it or not. Played Abra's Castle one day and the rest is history. We just need to let people know that there is other games besides these Anime rips. This is an excellent way to do so.
Sounds like you're all asking ACWraith to do BYOND Journalism's BYOND Weekly.
F0lak wrote:
Sounds like you're all asking ACWraith to do BYOND Journalism's BYOND Weekly.

Someone's gotta do it. And Fugsnarf aint. lol
Fugsnarf is Ganing! D:

PS: Wraith add me on your buddy list on the pager, such a pain not being a member lawl.
Latoma wrote:
Fugsnarf is Ganing! D:

PS: Wraith add me on your buddy list on the pager, such a pain not being a member lawl.

Haha, I wish. Dude has good HTML skills. I suck at HTML.