http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j396/HowTheHeathenRages/ Fixed.png?t=1293498573

Reasoning:
Now, though you may be wondering:
Wtf, why did he remove the Ads box?

Well, I believe that if you show confidence as in: We don't need no ads for money, we GOT money!
Then newcomers will think "Wow, BYOND is so freaking legit that it doesn't need ads, this is definitely worth investing time into if the developers are practically RIDING Membership money!"

It will also provide the site with tons of space for extra things such as: a hit counter, a chat so that newcomers can keep in touch with each other:

"Guest 1: dude, this site is so freaking legit, I cnt wait 2 make an account!
Guest 2(Secretly an Admin): y not make one now?
Guest 1: i wanna talk 2 my friends guest 3 and 4.
Guest 3: hi
Guest 4: yeah besides we dont know how to make games so were gonna wait until there's a free tutorial guide or something
Guest 2: oh well go to <insert tutorial link> and it teaches u how i tihnk
Guest 4: yea in a sec let us finish talking.
"
With all the extra space, and legitimacy there's room for thought and there will be additional cash flow.

(If you've reached this part of the post there's no need to read on)

As for the less important change, it's to keep newcomers from being let down by lack originality
Site Chat-rooms...Sound legit.
Neblim wrote:
There's plenty of large free sites that don't even bother with ads and they to this day still exist...

Like Google, right? Oh wait...

Reddit? Digg? Facebook? Right...

Oh yeah, Kongregate! Nope, they have ads too...

IGN, Kotaku... ads...

... So, which large free sites don't even bother with ads and for how long have they been around?

Nightmare3 wrote:
Will currently hub pages go through any scrutiny as the update is released? Do you have to hold BYOND membership in order to keep your hub page public or is it a one time payment sort of thing?

I *believe* that once you submit a game as a member (and it is approved), it will remain in the hub listings even after your membership expires.
The ads in the new layout aren't in the way of anything like the current ones are.

I see no problem, Neblim.
Galactic Soldier wrote:
This update won't be released for a few months? :(

The site update will be very soon. The Flash will take a few months.
The problem is: those projects are not BYOND. They have either major financial backers (Ubuntu- Mark Shuttleworth), an actual business model (commercial licensing and support), and/or very little expenditures (lol gimp).

Ads are a necessity for many websites. It makes projects sustainable (and for many, profitable). BYOND isn't going to get anywhere by selling commercial support, nor is it led by someone worth $225 million. Understand this very simply: BYOND gives the product away for free, but still pays to develop it.

As a proponent of BYOND opening up the source, I don't see it cutting costs anytime in the near future because Tom still needs to pay Lummox to get most things done. That's not to say there aren't other benefits, but it isn't a solution to getting rid of ads.
thumbs up to the work thus far! :)
digitalmouse wrote:
thumbs up to the work thus far! :)

i never realized mice had thumbs
Maybe the Creation section of the forums will be used more often again (as a way to advertise new creations like in the past). I haven't used such forums in about 4-5 years (though I still post in the other sections).

When I read the post, I assumed that you can still create hub entries. They'll just act like hidden entries (but still accessible) until the link to the hub is advertised or shown in different places.

Here's an example of a hidden entry from my old game for an old contest (a flop of course): http://www.byond.com/games/Bandock/ColoriPoker
The new BYOND will detach a lot of people from the community, which isn't a bad idea. BYOND + Flash,heh resources will be easier to decompile..

A web game player would be awesome by the way, might be impossible however.
Question: My Game is a rip but I have done many changes to it, so it is different to the other DBZ Games.

Can I still keep the game up?
SinMaster1996 wrote:
Question: My Game is a rip but I have done many changes to it, so it is different to the other DBZ Games.

Yes, though some people around here won't like it at all. I personally don't really care.
SinMaster1996 wrote:

You can keep it up, no one cares if you do or don't (But we would all love it if you didn't).

But it will still get the same treatment as the other rips.
I don't even think it will be hidden. It just won't be featured.
Fugsnarf wrote:

Fangames won't be featured. Rips will be hidden.
DarkCampainger wrote:
Fugsnarf wrote:

and you get this from what source?
digitalmouse wrote:
DarkCampainger wrote:
Fugsnarf wrote:

and you get this from what source?

It's what we've been discussing for the better part of the month. You've got a lot of reading to catch up on :)

Here's a good place to start if you want to catch up:
http://www.byond.com/developer/forum/?id=764565
http://www.byond.com/members/ Stephen001?command=view_post&post=105900
http://www.byond.com/developer/forum/?id=768672&view=1

Although Tom has said he's been reconsidering just how "hidden" the rejected games will be (and keep in mind I mean hidden from search results and the hub listings, the game's hub would still be accessible from a direct link or through a friend on the pager), I would expect the first roll-out of changes to be as planned.
I'm hoping that you have pages set up that randomly show an entire list of games, or a list of games from a certain section. Then, unknown games that are quality can gather a fan-base.
Sooo many people I've seen all say that they do not like either some big parts of the new website, or all of it altogether. I say that I like it a lot, don't have complaints at all really, and the hiding of fan games is just an added bonus. :P Keep it up BYOND guys!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6