Spirit Age

by Chris Gayle
Spirit Age
An amazing action adventure game in a fantasy world on mystical islands
ID:1067278

So the engine is almost done, I have a few things I need to fix but those should be pretty simple fixes.

I uploaded a demo to the hub replacing the much older demo, if you could try it and give any suggestions to improve it I'd appreciate it.

Download Demo from hub: http://www.byond.com/games/ChrisGayle/SpiritAge

The next update will include pathfinding, I'm just in the middle of writing the pathfinder and once I get it working it should be really interesting :D
Very nice only one problem i have why can you jump so far diagonally and not in a straight line or is that just how you wished it to be?
Any reason that the camera moves so slowly when following your jump? I managed to fall off-camera a few times.

The jumping seems a bit "floaty", for lack of a better work. I'd suggest slowly decreasing velocity for the jump, then slowly increasing it for the fall; it feels better, more controlled, and more realistic.

Clearly there's a change in velocity with movement. It would make sense to me that changing to the opposite direction (East to west or north or south) would require slowing down and speeding back up in order to change direction. However, that shouldn't be necessary when changing to diagonal movement. I think it feels very odd that it does that diagonally. It may be that, or the walking speed may just be too fast. I think it is a little too fast, frankly. The change in velocity mid-movement when going diagonal does give the feeling of sliding, though.

Also,
Interesting! http://puu.sh/1uVE7
@Carnage Productions - It's more that you simply move further diagonally in general. I'll fix this up, it just happens that you move east & west at the same rates simultaneously making you cover more ground overall.

@Fugsnarf #1 - It was an effect I sort of liked actually, but if you guys disagree I will speed up the camera

@Fugsnarf #2 - The descent rises to a value and stops so, "Floaty" is a good way to define it as you reach a "terminal velocity" and won't descend any faster, I can change this limit however so I will experiment with it.

@Fugsnarf #3 - If I am right, you would prefer if while running east you would be able to change to northeast/southeast immediately? I'll give it a try.

@Fugsnarf #4 - That's supposed to happen :), upon entering the interior the walls & roof disappear to reveal what may be laying inside.

Thanks for the feedback.
In response to Chris Gayle
Chris Gayle wrote:
@Fugsnarf #2 - The descent rises to a value and stops so, "Floaty" is a good way to define it as you reach a "terminal velocity" and won't descend any faster, I can change this limit however so I will experiment with it.

I'm not talking about descending as much as ascending. It seems like you hang in the air for awhile; or it may be that the character seems to move at a constant velocity upward (I could be wrong). While I stand by thinking that the terminal velocity could be a fit faster, I think the upward velocity of the jump should decrease slowly until the apex, perhaps by 1 or 1/2 pixels per tick depending on the initial velocity.
@Fugsnarf - Ah, it does decrease. It starts at a value and gradually decreases towards 0 before it begins to descend. Currently the jump strength is 16, meaning it goes 16->15->14->13->12->11->10->9 and so on. Naturally as you slow down as you approach the limit of your jump you'll slow down and feel like you "hang" for a while, that's actually natural if you get up & jump right now you'd get the same effect.
It may be that it's slowing down too slowly then, because it shouldn't have the hanging feeling.
Or it may be the camera's slow movement creating that illusion.
@Fugsnarf - I experimented with some numbers, but they didn't feel too right, I may just include a button to let the player mix it up a little to try and find a proper formula, maybe you could get a better feel out of it if you could try your own numbers.

@Yut Put - I'm glad you like it, I felt really good about it once I had thought of the idea and furthermore written it, I'm just working on path finding now to really get a more complete version to the engine in general.
I really like it, pretty damn smooth. Though one suggestion for the jumping: You should be able to have more control over the jump, like tapping it would have a JP(Jump Strength of 4) and add 4 JP for each ~tick or so you hold it till you reach the maximum 16 JP. Or maybe if you like add a super jump type action, where you could either press a different button, or if you hold down the jump button for so long the mob bends down then jumps at say 24 JP and when landing crouches on his knees from impact. Which falling from any height equal to 20 JP should cause you to crouch, then 28 and on causes increasing damage; though you've probably already thought of that.
In response to Bakasensei
Bakasensei wrote:
I really like it, pretty damn smooth. Though one suggestion for the jumping: You should be able to have more control over the jump, like tapping it would have a JP(Jump Strength of 4) and add 4 JP for each ~tick or so you hold it till you reach the maximum 16 JP. Or maybe if you like add a super jump type action, where you could either press a different button, or if you hold down the jump button for so long the mob bends down then jumps at say 24 JP and when landing crouches on his knees from impact. Which falling from any height equal to 20 JP should cause you to crouch, then 28 and on causes increasing damage; though you've probably already thought of that.

Its not that deep man calm down.
God that's pretty disrespectful; I was complimenting my very close old friend Chris on his work and giving him some ideas.

Anyways, man i'm hella proud of you; haha it seems like yesterday we we're on NKM and was teaching you how to program and draw. Now you've gotten even better than I was! XD

You've got to keep me updated on this bro, and as always i'm here if ya need me
In response to Bakasensei
Bakasensei wrote:
God that's pretty disrespectful; I was complimenting my very close old friend Chris on his work and giving him some ideas.

Ignore PutYut the troll.
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
Bakasensei wrote:

Ignore PutYut the troll.

I love this Platform demo, but the lag is very aggravating.