ID:107004

Resolved
Applies to:Website

This issue has been resolved.
Duplicates:id:109955
It's weird that when you click on the '# Fans' link on a member's page, only BYOND Members are shown, even though the number displayed counts both member and nonmembers. Additionally, the 'My Fans' box shows both. Meanwhile, since hub pages don't have a similar box, it is impossible to see which nonmembers are fans.

Edit: Members pages are consistent with the hub now, but it's still confusing to display a different number of fans than the number given in the link.
This would somewhat defeat the purpose, which is to point out that it's the Member fans who really count.
Only showing members won't be all that helpful for someone who doesn't know how the rankings work, and for someone who does it's pointless. If the goal is to show that only members count, then explaining that somewhere on the hub would probably be a better solution (if that's not already done). That said, maybe nonmembers could be hidden by default, with a link to show them, similar to the 'See List' link next to the player count on server listings. Also, I don't see how your explanation applies to fans of members' pages.
There should be a format=text command to pull a full list of all fans. Developers could then offer in-game rewards to fans of the game.

Either that or add a proc similar to GetScores(). Call it GetFans().
There is a somewhat-workaround towards this. You can use a system that would scan the page that lists the fans yourself.

That way Lummox and Tom don't have to throw around new procedures all the time.
The problem with that is you're only able to grab fans who are Members. Normal fans aren't listed.
Lummox JR wrote:
This would somewhat defeat the purpose, which is to point out that it's the Member fans who really count.

Considering there have been multiple complaints about this in the short time since it has come out, I would say something needs to be done. If you want to point out that member fans are the only ones who matter, then do so. The current system doesn't get that point across, it just looks like a fail at displaying the entire list. It could be something as simple as "x of y fans are members", though personally I'd prefer something very direct saying YOU AREN'T A MEMBER, SO YOU DON'T MATTER, and still displaying the list of those who don't.
I'm not sure how it can be clearer given the fact that the member aspect is highlighted with a link, but I'm open to suggestions for clarifying.
I didn't even see that line of text until you pointed it out. The page is a somewhat unorganized list of graphical icons, so its easy to overlook. As with several other pages on the new site, its missing separation. The simplest change would probably be to put that message inside a dark gray header, with an outline dropping around the list of members. Instead of just saying "These members are fans", it should display a specific member count. I also think it should at least say something like '# non-members are also fans', if not list them entirely, below the members.
Why hasn't anything been done about this yet?
Non-member fans should be a separate list under the Members.
SuperAntx wrote:
Non-member fans should be a separate list under the Members.

I'm not sure why the staff is making a fuss about where the non-members would be listed. It's like they're intentionally withholding this because they think that being listed as a fan is a membership perk. Not listing non-members doesn't hurt the non-members, they're not the ones saying "we should be listed as fans!". It hurts the people whose work is being appreciated because I have no idea who all of the fans are. That's why we (the people who are members and have work that people have become fans of) are asking for all fans to be listed.

This is one of those times where the feature request is exactly as simple as it sounds.
We're not making a big fuss out of it. It just seemed like a logical way to limit a list that can be 1000s of items long. But as it is causing some confusion, we'll update that to show everything and simply highlight Members with their icon (eg, same way as hub live listings).
To be honest it's no big deal whether or not I see them on the actual fan page. I would just like to at least be able to pull up a list of all fans from within my games.
They already said they're gonna do something about it, why is everyone still blabbering?
By everyone you mean me specifically, right? Because I'm the only one who posted after Tom's comment.

Just saying it really isn't a big deal to load up every single fan on the actual page. I'd just like to be able to pull a full list in plain text mode.
You and FA (and Tom? (and now me too!?)). The request I linked to had a response from Tom, saying they would display non-members down below. And I requested it lower in these comments, which you restated? Plus, now you seem to be changing what you're asking for, after its been decided...
I wasn't aware of the potential problems related to loading up thousands of players. The feature hasn't been implemented yet so it's never too late to discuss alternatives.
I don't think it'll be a problem. We'll try it out and see how it feels.
Page: 1 2