ID:1070755

I need everyones opinion on something...I feel completely useless on here, but I have a lot to offer a game, I've been on byond since 2002 on an older key. I feel like I am useless, I may not be able to code amazingly, but that doesn't mean i'm useless..What does everyone else think? I mean, I'm on the verge of quitting, I wish I had the patience to sit and learn to code, but I dont...
Well no one's bad at EVERYTHING.
So find what you're good at:
-If you learn fast, try programming.
-If you love art, you can learn pixel art (YES its learn-able)
-If you're a musician, try and do some game's musics.
-If you're good in language (I'm not xD), try and find games that need someone that writes well and ask them to give a hand with the text or something.

No one is realy useless, You could even..."GFX" like they say on BYOND lol and just mix some images on top of each others and add a title for games. (Many people ask for those services.)

Quit BYOND if you came to create a game and always tried and it never worked...Cuz honestly if you tried from 2002 to 2012, it means that programming isn't your thing, aim for something else.
If you have the desire to program and be good at it, then you'll have enough patience to read the DM guide and the community tutorials. If you comprehend everything you're reading there, you'll be able to make games.
I can't do anything on this website. I just like to read the blogs, don't let it get to you.
I've been on Byond since 2001 myself, and i tend to feel useless around here, I have read the DM guide and have been taught by several people on too many occasions to count, But i really cannot comprehend anything more than simple programming.

For me it's a lack of education and just plain not being able to understand some of the basic things no matter how many times taught, and then i forget them.
I was ungraded in mathematics and can barely do minimal times table, adding and subtracting is the only part of mathematics that i understand. So i have no hope when it comes to anything mathematical, I'll have a panic attack with no chance to solve an issue.

I Don't have much going for me but I've always enjoyed drawing even if that turned out pretty badly, So Pixel art has become my only way of proving to myself that i can improve in something. - though this is disputable

Anyhow it's rare to quit Byond, even if you find yourself at a slump with no option, But i hope you find a reason to stay around :) Nobody is completely useless, you can be a part of the community like Magma :) it's all fine.
Imagine how the people who know even more than I but haven't created one game on here(or one game worth playing), there's a-lot of those. But spending all day on a game going afk chatting is a perfect solution to not feeling useless at all.
In response to Teka123
Thanks Teka. I've been a big fan of yours for a long time, ever since I joined BYOND. You and Kanak and I use to talk somewhat when you guys weren't busy
Jiraiya Itachi wrote:
I need everyones opinion on something...I feel completely useless on here, but I have a lot to offer a game, I've been on byond since 2002 on an older key. I feel like I am useless, I may not be able to code amazingly, but that doesn't mean i'm useless..What does everyone else think? I mean, I'm on the verge of quitting, I wish I had the patience to sit and learn to code, but I dont...

Not everyone who uses BYOND needs to be a programmer or an artist. What also keeps BYOND going are those who support the developers by playing their games.
You should become a player, it's the easiest thing to do around here, good luck, I've failed countless times in trying to do so, wish me luck, im about to go for it again!
In response to Kidpaddle45
Kidpaddle45 wrote:
Quit BYOND if you came to create a game and always tried and it never worked...Cuz honestly if you tried from 2002 to 2012, it means that programming isn't your thing, aim for something else.

I strongly disagree with this!

The developers of BYOND are hobbyists. Perhaps we dream of being able to make a career out of making BYOND games, but in the meantime we have school and jobs and other interests or responsibilities. Eight years is a long time, but I doubt jiraiya spent several hours every day working at learning DM for that whole time. I've had my key since 2003 but there were several year-long periods when I didn't touch BYOND at all. Now that I've come back for the Nth time, I'm a little bit better and making better progress on my projects. My point is, the time scale for someone learning DM for fun is usually a lot longer than someone who goes to software engineering school and wants to get hired...

Anyway, there are quite a few people here that feel they are better at programming than at drawing icons and such. Use the classified ads section to find someone else's project that you can join, if you don't feel like starting your own...