Mafia

by LostRealm
Mafia
Get rid of the Mafia before the Mafia gets rid of you.
ID:1072263

Keywords: mafia, role, suggestion
A long time ago, new Mafia roles were selected from a thread of suggestions like this one. With the remake, I re-evaluated most of the roles in Mafia Classic and found some of them to be rather lacking. Rather than copy everything straight from the old version, I would like to gather ideas for new roles.

This is a place to post ideas and workshop others' suggestions until we have a good set of solid classes, and then I'll likely take the strongest and create a poll to determine interest.

I would like to note that I do plan to bring over Godfather from the original, but almost everything else is up in the air. If anyone wants to suggest other original roles that they enjoyed, we can of course visit those, but now is a good time improve on what we used to have.
First reply, all medals will be mine!
How about a role where a person can attack someone and they die as well. Like a suicide bomber.
Inspired by this and something someone else said in the game earlier, I've come up with:

"Martyr"/"Terrorist" (depending on which team we put the role on). This class picks a hostage on their turn. If the Martyr is killed, their hostage dies, too. Things to debate: which team? Does being "taken hostage" notify or affect the hostage in any way, or is it a silent selection, where the hostage doesn't know they're being targeted until it's too late? Can the hostage be saved?
Never save the hostage.
If it is made an independent role, maybe there could be a medal for taking a bad guy hostage, them killing you, and you taking them with you.
I think having anything that affects the scene, but not the player list is maybe unnecessary.

I think keeping the current hostage secret (i.e., the hostage doesn't even know the terrorist has targeted them) is probably the way to go, because it creates more doubt, and it means the terrorist can change hostages mid-game without penalty.

I guess the term "hostage" does imply some sort of restraint, but I just picked it because, "Who do you want to take hostage?" sounds better than "Who do you want to kill in the event that you are also killed?"

"Who do you want to take with you?" sounds too immediate, like you are now dying, and not just picking someone in case you die later.

If the Terrorist is in the Mafia, then it's really only valuable against FBI or Rogue (and then, only if the Rogue is the hostage). If the Terrorist is independent (like the Rogue), that might actually be more interesting.

Should they win if they take someone with them? And I'm leaning toward not taking someone with them if they are voted instead of killed.
I disagree with the idea thet we shouldnt have classes that effect the mood/scene.

How about a Burgular? Can knock someone out for a round- every 2 rounds. Not killing, but knock em out. "Saving" dosent work, because your knocked out, not killed. They also cannot speak. They have a chance of knowing who knocked em out, (memory helps.)

How about.. a weather man? He is like a citizen, (in almost every regard) But he tells you the weather! :D

Finally, a weird under-construction class.

A mix between a psycho, and citizen.. Addict(name-under-construction..?)

The addict is addicted to- (drugs, "weed", drinking, that kinda stuff.) This causes him to be.. less then dependable.
To where he's kinda crazy. He one can randomly one turn act
as a psycho- and check out as a YES-
He can otherwise act as a citizen..

In response to TikTik
TikTik wrote:
I disagree with the idea thet we shouldnt have classes that effect the mood/scene.
The example above was an effect that makes someone vanish from the scene, but not from the player list; I felt that this was unnecessary, because people can just use the player list to select that person. Anything that inhibits one method of input but not the other doesn't make a lot of sense to me. However, I wasn't intending to close off all discussion of things affecting the scene.

How about a Burgular? Can knock someone out for a round- every 2 rounds. Not killing, but knock em out. "Saving" dosent work, because your knocked out, not killed. They also cannot speak. They have a chance of knowing who knocked em out, (memory helps.)
Sounds like a good start to me. It's a bit like a deputy who doesn't work for the police, and also prevents you from speaking. Who does the Burglar work for? If they work fro the Mafia, then that's motive enough, but if they are independent, then we have to establish a goal for them. And does the victim still get to view all of the output while they are knocked out?

How about.. a weather man? He is like a citizen, (in almost every regard) But he tells you the weather! :D
Haha, I had been thinking about random, mundane jobs to give anyone who receives "Citizen." If we can think of enough jobs that are clearly pointless sounding (so that they aren't easily confused for important roles), I think that might be a fun add. They could even have sporadic messages at the beginning of the round, "Looks like rain, today."

Finally, a weird under-construction class. [Psycho-esque hybrid description here.]
Are you saying that the player gets to choose each turn, whether they will act like a psycho or a citizen? We might have to workshop this a bit more, to ensure that it is both distinct and easily understood. I imagine you intend it to be Mafia or independent?

In response to Lord Raven
Lord Raven wrote:
TikTik wrote:
The example above was an effect that makes someone vanish from the scene, but not from the player list; I felt that this was unnecessary, because people can just use the player list to select that person. Anything that inhibits one method of input but not the other doesn't make a lot of sense to me. However, I wasn't intending to close off all discussion of things affecting the scene.

Sounds like a good start to me. It's a bit like a deputy who doesn't work for the police, and also prevents you from speaking. Who does the Burglar work for? If they work fro the Mafia, then that's motive enough, but if they are independent, then we have to establish a goal for them. And does the victim still get to view all of the output while they are knocked out?
Burgulers eren't mafia. Indpendant. I guess however, They elso do-not see elot of whut happens.
Haha, I had been thinking about random, mundane jobs to give anyone who receives "Citizen." If we can think of enough jobs that are clearly pointless sounding (so that they aren't easily confused for important roles), I think that might be a fun add. They could even have sporadic messages at the beginning of the round, "Looks like rain, today."
Good Idea!

Finally, a weird under-construction class. [Psycho-esque hybrid description here.]
Are you saying that the player gets to choose each turn, whether they will act like a psycho or a citizen? We might have to workshop this a bit more, to ensure that it is both distinct and easily understood. I imagine you intend it to be Mafia or independent?

He-he, this is tricky. Independent, does NOT choose. If you e're checked when your e psycho, your traced beck es e Psycho would be.

An independent Terrorist does sound interesting.

Also, I noticed in this version you can have up to 5 of each class in a game. What happens when you have multiple judges?
In response to Warlord Fred
Warlord Fred wrote:
Also, I noticed in this version you can have up to 5 of each class in a game. What happens when you have multiple judges?

The Judge is a "co-op" class where all members of that role share a target (Mafia and Godfather are the only other such classes). Now that I think of it, because there is no longer a political team, this means the judges don't know who the other judges are. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
They should be able to talk to each other, otherwise they would be confused.
Randomly-chosen names to civillian jobs

Weather-Man
Dancer
Civilian
Drunk
Elderly
Dropout
Racer
The Terrorist. Everyday he has the ability to kill someone with the cost of their own life. The mafia knows who the terrorist is, but not vice-versa. If the terrorist is attacked at night, everyone who visits them dies, including the terrorist. They have no night abilities. If they do attack, the day immediately ends.