Casual Quest

by IainPeregrine
A fast paced, casual, multi player action game with a little RPG touch
ID:107651

I wanted to spend all day today adding content to my 8k contest entry, but fans of my other games yelled loud enough to get my attention. They're paying customers, you know? I've got to give their game first priority. The Regressia update fixes a bug that was preventing some users from progressing through the game, which is why I wanted to fix it as soon as I hear about it. The Casual Quest update contains a couple bug fixes, but is mostly focused on game balance and eliminating some annoying behaviors in both the game and some players. Here are some of the changes:
  • Bug Fix: The Big Boss' bear is no longer immortal. Congratulations to the 15 of you who made it past wave 149 before this update!
  • The Dragons' Wind now goes only a short distance. Waves past 100 should be more enjoyable now, without being any easier.
  • The Green Eye Mass' regeneration rate was slowed slightly.
  • Bottles now refill all a character's aura.
  • Bottles and Fruit cannot be picked up by players who don't need them.
  • A countdown has been added to the unpause feature, so that people won't die from being surprised by an unpause.
  • A total score feature has been added, which tracks your total score from all times you've ever played.
  • Answering a card should now always change your class. Beware! If you are a tier 3 priest, and try to answer another priest card, you will get a completely random tier 3 class!
  • Chat window is now visible by default, to encourage new players to talk with their team members.
  • Bug Fix: Fixed the bug which froze some servers.
  • Blobs now jump if you attack them while someone is inside. CAUTION! This will still hurt the person inside! Also, blobs jump less often when you attack them.
  • Bug Fix: Several bugs with blob shadows have been fixed.
  • Class Balance:
  • Hazordhu Orc: Fire Arrow skill now takes 4 points of magic.
  • Mage: Max aura raised to 5.</li
  • Barbarian: Max health lowered by 2 (12).
  • Dark Knight: Invulnerability skill now lasts almost twice as long.
  • Dark Lancer: Now has a wooden axe skill (x). Invulnerability skill now lasts almost twice as long.
  • Templar: Now has slightly higher max health (8). Has slightly higher max aura (6). Can now revive with a full aura bar (c).
  • Hero: Max aura raised by 1 (4). Aura rate sped up; is now the same as the druid's.
  • Sorcerer: Fire Snake skill now does 2 points of damage instead of 1.
  • Warlock: Controlled magic swords now cost slightly more (3).
  • Bard, Minstrel, and Gypsy: Shield skill now lasts almost twice as long.
  • Dervish: Has a new skill, Freeze Dance (c).
  • Assassin (ninja): Max health raised by 2 (10).
  • Vampire: Can now pick up bottles for a full aura refill.
IainPeregrine games are the best games. <3
I don't know if it's the white background or just me, but the subtitle for Regressia seems less than flattering.
XD

I should look into changing that. Thanks for the heads up.
I'm not getting any sound in Regressia- is it just me? I've checked that it's not muted, I put the sliders to max. Sound in other programs works fine.
I have a complaint about some the monster sprites in Regressia that I haven't bothered to post before. Some of them look too vibrant and the colors are too bright, most noticeable early on after the pirates board your ship. It just doesn't fit with the gloomy, eminent doom feeling.
Dude, spoilers.
Airjoe wrote:
I'm not getting any sound in Regressia- is it just me? I've checked that it's not muted, I put the sliders to max. Sound in other programs works fine.

It's working fine for me.

SuperAntx wrote:
Dude, spoilers.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who got pissed when I told him what happens at the end of Star Wars.
I thought that Sorc Fire Snakes did an average of 4 damage (if the firesnake passes over a mob and doesn't cross over).

Does this mean that it now does 8 damage?

Also, wow Templar is a boss class now.
IainPeregrine wrote:
Blobs now jump if you attack them while someone is inside. CAUTION! This will still hurt the person inside! Also, blobs jump less often when you attack them.

Was this intended for me? ;P

Glad to hear about the updates. I feel the Dragon Wind is my favorite to hear. :)
C_Dawg_S wrote:
I have a complaint about some the monster sprites in Regressia that I haven't bothered to post before. Some of them look too vibrant and the colors are too bright, most noticeable early on after the pirates board your ship. It just doesn't fit with the gloomy, eminent doom feeling.

This could be a genuine problem, and I'll look into it. The art for the game was made in two big pushes about two years apart, and on two different monitors.

Just for clarification, by "early on" you mean right at the end of the demo?

Airjoe wrote:

I don't know what to tell you. This is the first time I've had reports of sound issues since I put in the new sound system back in early 2010. I have to assume the issue is on your end, but if there's anything I could do to my program to work around it, I'd be willing to try.
Congratz on another great update to Casual Quest. I haven't played in a while but it seems that the ease and fun of playing is being improved.
IainPeregrine wrote:
Just for clarification, by "early on" you mean right at the end of the demo?

The corsair is the enemy I was referring to. I think it has something to do with the way he looks "outlined" along with a bad choice of colors. I notice the same "outlining" in enemies that use the same sprite, along with the sails on The Gorgon and enemies that also share this sprite.

There are also several other enemies that I think could use a little work, such as the dwarfs bright blue clothes and the pure white hair. Try darkening the blue, perhaps make it a navy, and change the white hair to gray. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think gnolls are the only other enemy who use this sprite and have the same white hair.

Darters bug me a little bit. I can tell you made the colors bright and recognizable to mimic real world poisonous frogs, but you can do this using less vivid colors I think.

The stomaches of drakes look like a blob of color on the screen rather than part of the creature itself. I think this is because the rest of the creature is detailed very well, while the underbelly looks like it was drawn in a rush. This can be remedied by getting rid of the third shade of green (the color being dependent on the species of drake) which, as far as I can tell, is only used in the second wing. You can then add another shade of red for the belly.

A few more nit-picks I have are the yellow/white use with eagles, the brightly colored knives used in assassin and its variants, and the lack of detail in the bharoque sprites.
Thanks for the detailed response.

C_Dawg_S wrote:
The stomaches of drakes look like a blob of color on the screen rather than part of the creature itself. I think this is because the rest of the creature is detailed very well, while the underbelly looks like it was drawn in a rush. This can be remedied by getting rid of the third shade of green (the color being dependent on the species of drake) which, as far as I can tell, is only used in the second wing. You can then add another shade of red for the belly.

I just wanted to comment on this. The restrictions I placed on the images were a 16 color global palette (6 of these colors shared with the menu and the background, so more like a 10 color palette), but only 4 colors (or 3 and transparency) per 16x16px region. In other words, taking the dark green out of the wing wouldn't free-up a color for use elsewhere. If you take a look at that region of the sprite, you'll see two greens, a red, and transparency, for 4 colors in total. That's all I allowed myself.