Falacy wrote:
As I said. "It seems like nobody around here can (or just won't) distinguish between rips and fan games."

Well, we're trying. That's why a lot of fangames are still listed and so many more aren't. But it does appear that the knee-jerk reaction is that we're treating them the same (AKA.. no more fangames on BYOND), which couldn't be further from the truth.
Charliehorse wrote:
But games like Sunday the 19th are safe right? They have a "Saw" like the movie mode, it's fan based but I would let it slip by seeing how its just a mode on it.

Sunday the 19th will need some revisions to not be considered a fangame. For one thing, it looks like they are using a poster right from the movie, which is a no-no. Currently it isn't marked as such because we are working on a feedback system where the mods and the hub owners can have a dialog so they know why games were reassigned and how they can update them.

Other games, like 'Resident Evil Online' can also most likely be modified to be non-fangames.
Falacy i have made several posts in hope people would help me spot what is a rip and what isn't, i have played quite a lot of games, i have listed and rejected a Lot of games but please work with me instead of complaining that i'm not doing enough.
I am sorry to tell you but, most people get on BYOND for "fan based games". If you are planning on taking them off this will probably be a dumb mistake. Doing this you will lose most of you BYOND members & the non-members also.
Fangames are not being taken off the site, they have their own little category where it is now much easier to find them.

Fangames are just excluded from the default display thats about all really. and not shown on the top banner.

If the game is a rip, then yes it will be removed... rips are not productive, please read the post and the comments before saying things like this Lwojx3.
Teka123 wrote:
...please work with me...

http://www.byond.com/members/ BYONDHelp?command=view_tracker_issue&tracker_issue=2577 ?
I was working on a new list, but clicked off this page, and lost it. There are like 6 REO rips now. It seems like 2 of the Zeta rips were removed, but replaced with 2 others. There were also some unavailable games that seem suspicious. I'd also say several of the FF games listed are rips of FFL, but I'd have to play that game again to get a feel for it before testing. Most of them were unavailable anyway.
Im one of byonds top byond benefactors (#13) Everyone told me i wasted money on this site, Well i didnt believe them.Now after hearing this i truly believe i wasted more than my fair share.

Anyone who comes to this thread because of a copy/pasted message over the pager (or in game) and then DOESN'T first read the post above before commenting ought to be shot in the face.

In fact, I think that Tom ought to make that the next new site feature. A button that can be clicked to head shot Anime kiddies who post comments in a blind, misinformed rage.
Fan games and rips are being suppressed, regardless of how you want to spin it. Vast majority of the community was here for fan games, and vast majority of the fan games were rips, again regardless of spin. Those messages over the pager are most likely true. Though I haven't seen them. And I'm not sure why you think anyone has come here because of them, or why you're going so berserk about it.
Falacy wrote:
Those messages over the pager are most likely true. Though I haven't seen them.

I think that sums it up.
SilkWizard wrote:
I think that sums it up.

I haven't seen the pager messages. But there was somebody in the game blabbering about how BYOND was ending, and getting rid of all the fan games. Which is pretty much whats happening. I assume the 2 are very similar. From the looks of it, you're the one we need "A button that can be clicked to head shot <s>Anime</s> kiddies who post comments in a blind, misinformed rage." for.
Falacy wrote:
blabbering about how BYOND was ending, and getting rid of all the fan games. Which is pretty much whats happening.

No, it's not. If you actually bothered to read the post you would know fangames are still around and can be found by clicking the fangame tag. They just aren't in the default listing.

Stop contributing to the confusion.
SuperAntx wrote:
They just aren't in the default listing.

Fan games and rips are being suppressed. However you want to spin it. I'm not sure if you people honestly can't grasp the concept, or if you're just unwilling to admit it.
Falacy stop being so negative, Fangames being suppressed? Ok maybe a little they are not to be seen Straight away anymore, but they do now have their own little category's where all the original ones can hopefully be found.

Rip's are being suppressed and rejected and sometimes even removed.

A Pager saying that byond is falling into hell and half the users will leave and that all fan games are going, is not true.

Byond is simply ordering things to a more representable (legal) site for new players.
Maybe Tom just wants people to start enjoying making their own original projects again, instead of people finding readily made games to alter, or using ideas which are not their own.

But stop trying to make people think fangames will be any harder to find than they currently are now, which is not hard with that tag there.
Falacy wrote:
Fan games and rips are being suppressed. However you want to spin it. I'm not sure if you people honestly can't grasp the concept, or if you're just unwilling to admit it.

I'm willing to admit it. Heck, I'm celebrating it. This day is long overdue.

...and yes, you guys will be just fine. People who really want to find fan games aren't going to have much trouble doing it.
Falacy wrote:
Fan games and rips are being suppressed. However you want to spin it.

The problem here is you people interchange the words suppress and remove at your leisure. They're two entirely different words with entirely different meanings. Stop trying to spin things around to make it sound worse than it actually is.

Fangames are still here, you can easily find them by searching for fangames.
It's mind boggling that I can make a page-long post talking about how how fangames aren't being suppressed and people come out of it with the exact opposite conclusion. It makes me actually want to suppress them all just to line things up.

Rips are, hopefully, going to be less accessible (although anyone can freely host a rip and play it with their friends for all I care). This is something we've strived to do for over a year now but the "report a rip" button didn't work. Rips and fangames are two different things-- you can rip an original game and we will label it as such-- they just overlap on our community because 99% of the rips happen to be Naruto clones.
By the way, at one time BYOND didn't even have a hub and people managed to play games just fine.
Which definition applies, pray tell?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6