Falacy wrote:
I have several original projects. 2 of them are listed on the first, page 2 more on the second, didn't bother searching past that.

That's great to hear. I hope that this site change will give those original games of yours a boost and inspire you to continue to work on them, or to make others.
Silkwizard, I'm sorry but your last few comments made me laugh. You're taking original v. fan games very seriously. Let's think about what kind of people come here to develop. People don't come here with such a serious developer attitude as you are currently displaying. Instead, it's a more laid-back, hobby attitude. Don't assume BYOND will even ever become some great original game paradise. It will never be that way, and I don't predict it will ever be any different than it is now. Think about the concept of BYOND to begin with. It's designed to be easy to develop games. If someone was really serious about what they were doing, not just doing it because it would be cool or as a hobby, they'd go study something else and make a career out of it. I have nothing against original games, don't get me wrong. You're just taking this way too seriously for a site like BYOND. Heck, you all are, not just Silkwizard. I don't want to make it seem like I'm hating on Silkwizard here. I respect his and all your opinions and also disagree with it.

BYOND has a place on the internet. It's a great tool with much potential. With that ease-of-use comes crappy games all over the place. It's just the way it is. You'll get some golden ones along the way, but not many. Call fan-games the easy way out, I don't care. Some people have dreams when they find Dream Maker, mine happened to be fan-games. Either way, it's all a hobby to me. I don't predict BYOND will ever be more than that to a lot of people. I still love it, though; and so do those lots of other people!
Fugsnarf wrote:
People don't come here with such a serious developer attitude as you are currently displaying. Instead, it's a more laid-back, hobby attitude.

NEStalgia is a game that I am developing as a fun hobby. Just because something is a hobby, that doesn't mean that it can't done well.

People are still perfectly free to do what they please with BYOND. You can still create fan games and "be laid back and carefree" and not take it seriously. You can create utter s*** and share it with your friends and the outside world if you'd like to.

The reality you're ignoring, however, is that BYOND is a business. Tom has to do what it takes to protect and promote that business. Fan games are a dead end for BYOND. Promoting quality original games is a path to greater success.

Fugsnarf wrote:
Call fan-games the easy way out, I don't care. Some people have dreams when they find Dream Maker, mine happened to be fan-games.

No one is preventing you from taking "the easy way out". But from now on if you choose to do so, your game will not be featured front and center on BYOND's site.

If you want that kind of internal recognition, you're going to have to work for it and earn it. It's your choice: you can't have it both ways.
Thank you.
Aurelius6299 wrote the original message that was passed around via pager, I got it from him before I did DevilsMinion528. He's even posted it on his page in a little more detail here: http://www.byond.com/members/Aurelius6299
It's startling how argumentative people become when they feel they're not benefiting from a change.

Tom wants to promote originality on BYOND, and that's what he's going to do. Can you really blame him for not featuring illegal games on the hub? Fangame developers are fortunate enough to not be hidden by BYOND, let alone have their own search tag.

Personally, I'm overjoyed with the recent changes, and anxious for future updates that promote originality on BYOND, which I will continue to support. :)
Why has "Naruto: Legend of the Drunken Pickle" not been created yet? Im sensing a big hit.
Silk seems to think all fangames developers are taking the easy way out. A quality fangame is pretty challenging. I actually find making an original game more easy having removing all the limits to work withen (aside from the fact I'm horrible with animated graphics and that is what kept me from finishing Crimson Moon). Its great to inspire people to make original games but not everyone is going to have to time to do so on a site that most people come on to have fun. I really do want to see more players on original games as that would really change how the outside views Byond. Getting rid of rips was a great start. Lazily made fangames really shouldn't be on either, but that is my opinion.
Fangames that used all original graphics and music but used the name and ideas really should have taken the next step and became original games. If you are working on a game like this, please take note of that and place another original title on Byond's ranks.
Fangames don't always get more exposure because they are fangames.

Try Bleach Las Noches as an example; Its a game based off Bleach. It's 100% original coding and graphics.

I, personally, -hate- Bleach. Can't stand it.

Yet I enjoy that game. Don't ask me why. At first I didn't give it a second glance, but after a friend reccomended it I went and gave it a go. Still play it.
SilkWizard wrote:
The reality you're ignoring, however, is that BYOND is a business. Tom has to do what it takes to protect and promote that business. Fan games are a dead end for BYOND. Promoting quality original games is a path to greater success.

wasn't aware that success only comes from original games. quality over originality, in my opinion, that's what makes a game what it is, be the unique training, battle, or skill systems. besides, in the technical view, originality doesn't really exist.
http://www.byond.com/games/Iocamus/NLOTDP
Naruto: Legend of the Drunken Pickle
;D
You have pickles falling at a faster rate that sake and occupying the same tile when they reach the bottom. Expect an angry, wordy review! >=(

Also, needs more jetsues and gm commands.
Esoteric Occultist wrote:
wasn't aware that success only comes from original games. quality over originality, in my opinion, that's what makes a game what it is, be the unique training, battle, or skill systems. besides, in the technical view, originality doesn't really exist.

None of you pro-anime turds have an argument. Kongregate has their website exactly like this - there are a few fan-games on their site, but you only see them if you type in "Dragon Ball" into their search. They don't promote and rarely put up with a lot of this fan-game crap Tom did and look at where it got them. They became so huge Gamestop added them to their network. Why? Because talented developers were making quality original games which inspired other people to do the same.

The problem with BYOND is that it gave a home to useless retards that steal sources, spam games, etc. I've never seen this happen on some of the other websites I visit. As a matter of fact, when a rip is found on Kongregate, several people in the comments ridicule it and give it bad reviews and ratings. What happens to a rip on BYOND? People flock to it, people make reviews of it calling it "the best game on BYOND ever" while only a handful of us oppose it.

Anyway, to make a long story short, fan-games and anime dominated the website for years. We're still a pretty unpopular site that is looked down upon. It's time to give original games a chance to shine.
I keep hearing the fan game talk like anime is only fan games around. Rips shouldn't be getting any attention at all and poorly made fan games should be hidden. While promoting original titles as much as possible, there are still fan games were developers take the time to make into quality games. Fan games should taken at a case by case basis, but original games still need to have some quality to them.
Dpheonix: That's what we're doing. But keep in mind that the status of original fangames will always be in jeopardy; not because of us, but because of their ownership.
It's up to the developers of original fan games to make sure they aren't breaking copy write laws. They can do that be contacting the company that holds the copy write and finding out what they can and can not do with that license. Then if their project breaks any of those copy writes it is their job to change their project till it falls into those lines. Very few games I seen on Byond have taken the time to contact the companies that hold the copy writes to what they are using, let alone even credit them for it.
Hense more reasons for new developers to not make fan games but original games as they don't have to worry about a company having final say in their game.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
None of you pro-anime turds have an argument.

anime turd? no way. i'm just saying that i've seen some pretty good systemed animu-games on BYOND. I mean, be it the features or whatever over plot, I'm still unaware that originality = the only way for good games and success. i'm not against keeping them hidden, but read the quote i replied to first.

protip: assuming only makes an ass of you and me. :(
I'm aware that an original game can be trash, but it is still original and there is really no reason that it should be hidden like anime games are since it isn't violating any rules. Less detailed games where the owner didn't put much effort into the game should just be pushed back 2 or 3 pages or something.

Dpheonix7 wrote:
copy write

Copyright*
lol, spell check kept making it copy write instead of copyright. Stupid spell check.
Lol, I didnt make it too complex =P and sake has a 10% chance of falling. I didnt wanna make it too fast. And I agree with the Gm commands, god-forbid admins dont abuse.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6